Robots WILL Kill Us All

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

While this sounds cool as hell, it certainly gives me a bit of the heebie jeebies. The Pentagon has successfully launched a drone swarm from three F-18 hornets...that will seek you out and peel your skin off with their tiny propellers. (I made that last part up, but you know its true.)

Of course this comes on the back of No Killer Robots....I am sure these drone swarms will be used for delivering 103 pizzas to the guys on the front lines. Not that we don't think that is an awesome idea.

Armenius likes this.
  2. Dwango

Dwango Gawd

Our drones will blot the sun from the sky!

Dayaks and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  3. J-Will

J-Will [H]ard|Gawd

If these are not weaponized, then what advantage is a swarm? Biblical plagues?

Armenius likes this.
  4. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 Gawd

I saw how this ends in an episode of Black Mirror. All it takes is one disgruntled programmer.

5. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd

Somewhere Steve is shedding a tear of joy over this thread's title!!

[​IMG]

Ur_Mom, Mong00se, mullet and 4 others like this.
  6. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

surveillance maybe?

Algorithm is not that hard. Get X, Y, Z of all drones. Figure out center of mass. Planes the furthest from center of mass have to move the most. The ones closet at center of mass can move the least. Thus is drone 1 goes, "I'm too close to drone 2" and drone 2 is further from the center than drone 1, done 2 will be forced to move. You work the solution outward from closest of center of mass to outward. Each move is coordinated on each "clock tick". The drones have a flight path which will cause the center of mass to have a movement vector which will be executed by the drone at the closest center of mass.

Simple O ( n ) algorithm for each drone.

7. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall [H]ard|Gawd

The US Airforce already has full size F-16 drones and I have never heard of any complaints about them and they could actually kill us.

8. J-Will

J-Will [H]ard|Gawd

what advantage does a swarm have over, say a single drone? Certainly not stealth

9. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

Then we will nerd fight in the shade.

Stryker7314 likes this.
  10. Nukester

Nukester Gawd

Of course drones will become the norm in the battlefield of the future. I just worry about the AI.

11. Jaybone909

Jaybone909 Limp Gawd

It's happening! Just like on advanced warfare:

[​IMG]

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  12. Grahamkracka

Grahamkracka [H]ard|Gawd

These were ejected from the countermeasure dispenser. An obvious application would be a smart missile countermeasure 'cloud'

13. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

No but it could "mark" multiple individual targets, each moving in a unique direction.

Imagine a terrorist bombing raid or fire fight...they scatter like cock roaches.

14. Grahamkracka

Grahamkracka [H]ard|Gawd

This can be done with a single camera and the discrimination system laying down tracks on each person. Much cheaper and already in the field. Maybe if you wanted the drone to follow them into a structure or something...sure.

DigitalGriffin likes this.
  15. rehab

rehab Gawd

Im sure Parsey McParseface will find a suitable use for them...then there will come soft rains.

16. pxc

pxc Pick your own.....you deserve it.

I'm re-programming a T-800 right now. You want a robot arms race? I'll give you a robot arms race!

17. Bounty

Bounty Limp Gawd

... and there is no chance Russians can hack our killer robuts

18. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall [H]ard|Gawd

In Soviet Russia, robot hacks you! (To death with a machete that is)

19. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

They have self healing! omg we're doomed

20. termite

termite 2[H]4U

All Hail our robot Overlords!

21. Inu

Inu [H]ard|Gawd

Could see these as mentioned above. Essentially "marking" enemy targets.

Assuming soldiers would have a "holo lens" esque type glasses. A single droid that
    has a camera could track and send triangulation information to have a soldier see
    an augmented reality object as if it were in real space.

22. Tiberian

Tiberian Finger Me

Funny, tonight's episode of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is about... you guessed it: KILLER ROBOTS or at least one Android that became sentient due to some dastardly ancient evil book as usual. They're dropping all kinds of movie references and it's hilarious: at one point the now self-aware Android calls into the S.H.I.E.L.D. base and one of the characters comments "Ok, this right here, this is exactly how "The Lawnmower Man" ends..." so if you've seen that movie from years ago you'll be in on the joke. :D

23. nightfly

nightfly 2[H]4U

Tiny propellers are so last century. While the concept of swarms is new to the military, the originators, Wasp industries is introducing their own 'swarm' drone product: The newest drones will be harnessing thousands of unemployed bumble bees with New Jersey green head flies working in tandem to chew your skin off. All in the name of 'going green', ending our reliance on electrically and petroleum product powered drones. When they're not busy attacking our enemies, those military bees will be sent off to pollinate fields of fruit, which the government can charge farmers a pollination fee per plant. A 100% Eco friendly biological solution to the military's need for cheap, efficient, renewable killing machines, and gets those lazy drone bees through training so they become workers.

24. CSI_PC

CSI_PC 2[H]4U

Can overwhelm an opposition in terms of unparalleled co-ordination and numbers, which also is great from a defense perspective (consider the co-ordinated swarm boats various militaries are developing).
    The navy in the past proved swarm drones have more success in overcoming a ship's defenses than a single missile costing the same as the swarm.

Cheers

25. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

As a retired R/C jet hobbyist, personally I suspect that quadcopters will be met with stiff regulations eventually. It's just a matter of time until someone bad gets motivated with one. It's too easy to use from a distance.

26. Kuraudo

Kuraudo Limp Gawd

It says distributed; are these things networked? Sounds like more wasted money against anything but 3rd world terrorists who don't know how to jam. More free hardware for the russians to take with their anti drone weapons they sell to their client states.

27. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

Wait seriously though, could you genetically modify/breed aggressive bees to attack some weird random spectrum of light that you could then broadcast onto targets? Then some sort of off-switch, audio perhaps?

28. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme