Robots Escaping Captivity Will Kill Us All

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Boston Dynamics have posted a new video, and it is terrifying. The video features their SpotMini robot, that has somehow sprouted an arm, and is using it's arm to escape Boston Dynamics, and most assuredly, kill us all. While we saw the SpotMini use an arm and a clamp in it's debut in 2016, This one actively locates and uses the door knob. Don't let it's helpful appearance fool you, these are the end of days.

Check out the terrifying video.

We warned you of the dangers of socially aware robots, but you didn't listen. At least we can have some cool theme music for our demise. I wonder if they come in Blue.

I have a dog that is very good at opening doors, that's bad enough, let's not train the killer bots to do the same. Funny I never thought of K9 in Dr. Who as being a threat and he had a killer laser...times have changed.

This is just like the scene from that Black Mirror episode where the dog robot opens a door, then attaches a knife to it's arm (that was a shotgun) and attempts to kill a woman.

If that wasn't completely scripted with the door handle already being positioned in space and "known"... then that was really impressive. And scary.

These are not the tool using robots with defective AI programing that you are looking for, move along.....

Anyone else want to mount a M240L to the top of one (or twenty) of these and airborne drop them out of a plane into an ISIS training camp in the middle of the night? Probably cheeper than a MOAB eh?

Anyone else want to mount a M240L to the top of one (or twenty) of these and airborne drop them out of a plane into an ISIS training camp in the middle of the night? Probably cheeper than a MOAB eh?

Certainly more terrifying.

Imagine facing an enemy that feels no pain, has no fear or compassion, and will relentlessly pursue it's mission until you've destroyed every single one of the fucking things. Complete mind fuck.

"Phased plasma rifle in a forty-watt range..."

"Just what you see, pal."

Human life is cheaper than expensive resources.

Scary when they call for each other when they need help. It looked pretty unscripted to be because they had to inspect the door handle to find it.

I read the intro blurb to this article and thought for sure that Kyle had written it. Color me surprised. What color is surprised? Outside of the end of the world, those robo dogs are pretty neat.

So when are Boston Dynamics getting renamed to Cyberdyne Systems?
Actually owned by Google at the moment and a sale is in talks to Toyota. Why Google would want to sell Boston Dynamics is beyond me.

This is just like the scene from that Black Mirror episode where the dog robot opens a door, then attaches a knife to it's arm (that was a shotgun) and attempts to kill a woman.

Today's Scifi, is tomorrow's documentary

It's a good thing humans are creating the tools of their own extinction.

I for one welcome our new robot dog masters.

If that wasn't completely scripted with the door handle already being positioned in space and "known"... then that was really impressive. And scary.

What I found most impressive was that the robot used its leg to trap the door open so its arm could let go of the knob to swing the door open.

EDIT: Grammar

I wonder how it would do with a round door knob? Or one with an additional deadbolt latch? IOW, how much of this behavior was scripted, and how much was learned? And if learned, how long did it take to learn that entire intricate door opening sequence?

Pfft. I had a cat that could open all doors that were not locked with that style of handle. Not to mention open every cabinet door in my kitchen and every bathroom. When we went out of town and left them alone for a day or we would come back to every single pantry door pried open. And if he located catnip (even double bagged) or cat food (same) he would throw it down onto the kitchen floor and tear into it and have a party. Not a single dropped/broken glass or dish.

Yep got two cats male and female she's not too smart he's pretty smart as cats go. Anyway their both smarter than most people I know.......

The question is how long can these autonomous robots run under their own power with current battery technology. Even if they could figure out how to charge themselves, the world shall remain safe if all they can manage is a few minutes on one charge.

Energy production and storage on a small scale is the one big stumbling block to all our sci-fi dreams (or nightmares) becoming a reality. Basically one sci-fi device, Tony Stark's arc reactor, would have to be invented to make all the other sci-fi shit possible.

relax folks, Boston Dynamics Petman is much more advanced. I saw a BD video where the lower torso of Petman was running on a conveyer belt and then it did a complete forward flip and landed on its feet, kept its balance and kept on running and it did this on a moving conveyer belt and, it was done at least 5 (or more) years ago.

the world shall remain safe if all they can manage is a few minutes on one charge

that's why there's nuclear power ... Arc Reactor comes to mind, oh, that's Iron Man. Sorry ...

They really need to scale this down; robotic mice that can locate and recharge themselves from electrical sockets. Hide during the day and perform intelligence ops during the night. Has gsm access, but can attack wifi access points, exploit bluetooth, sniff mac addresses and interface with ethernet jacks, or pierce plastic insulation to interface with exposed cables using PS/2/USB/i2c/serial protocols . Passive infrared motion sensors and smartphone sensor suite. 8 hours of battery life, and a tungsten carbide cutting wheel inside the mouth for gradually cutting through masonry and drywall. All clothed in preserved mice fur so people will just ignore them when they are occasionally seen darting about.

Back