Robotic Vacuum...

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
If anyone of you finds yourself unwilling or unable to vacuum as regularly as you like (or dislike!) then I've got to say one of these little guys just might be for you. I had found that despite my OCD tendencies and neat streak I still don't keep up on the vacuuming, and when I do I need to move around heavy furniture in order to sweep under and do a proper job. My hardwood floors keep getting an impressive layer of dust in untraveled areas and I just couldn't keep up with it due to a heavy and shifting schedule.

So not long after this realization I was shopping in Costco and I saw a Roomba and it started gears turning in my head. I ventured off into the interwebs to find reviews and general thoughts on the various products out there. After some browsing I determined that while Roomba's may be the most recognizable name, they probably aren't the best. Problems included a lack of a real pathfinding AI (seems to vacuum in random patterns until everything is clean) and expensive supplies. I ended up with a Neato Signature XV Pro and I have to say... this thing lives up to it's moniker, it is neato :)

Setup was simple:
Plug in the docking/charging station and place against a wall with a clear path to and from.
Remove dust bin from robot, flip the on/off switch to on, replace dust bin.
Set the current time and how often you want it to sweep.
Empty the bin when it's done.

I found myself watching its first time out. Its initial trip(s) seem to be reserved for finding boundaries. It avoids stairs and it will test the limits of the room before moving on to the next area (it seems to delineate hallways and rooms very well) as it would then sweep its current area, recharge, and head out for the next adventure. It is able to roll under furniture and hanging cloth removing my need to move extremely heavy items which is a big plus. It didn't get stuck in any area and it was fairly quiet. Its coverage is very good. You'll need to touch up corners and edges now and then but open floors are completely cleaned. It will make multiple passes over areas it determines are heavily soiled and I have to commend its persistence... it's not done until the floor is clean. It also doesn't slam into things which is good, my computer is safe on the floor. I can't really say how it will work around cords from headphones, USB gear, power cords and the like as mine are neatly tucked or bundled away. Someone else will have to give their impressions on that aspect.

All in all, I'd say a robot vacuum is a worthwhile purchase. If you are on the fence, I'd go for it! Mine was $362 from Amazon.

Neato_Robotic_Vacuum.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back