• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Robot Too Scary For Kids?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Remember that Terminator looking robot named Morgui, you know, the one that stares at everyone? According to this, the robot has been deemed “too scary” for anyone under 18.

As a "rapid reaction" bot -- it has sensors in its eyes that let it track where people are in the room and stare at them. Apparently this has so totally freaked out observers that Reading's ethics committee told Warwick he couldn't show it to minors, or use them in any experiments involving Morgui.

Comments
 
OK now we are protecting kids from scary robots. Has this world become this weak, that they fear an object. Truthfully looking at it, I know as a kid, I would have loved it. But then again maybe I was weird as a kid. :D
 
Why the hell would you want a robot that looks like a skull to stare at you.... thats some great functionality and resources well spent :rolleyes:
 
it would be kinda creepy. i think the 12 and under crowd would be scared of it though.
 
By this logic the Mona Lisa should also be ban for minors. It appears to watch you as you move. Or maybe you should just stop babying the little wankers and let them experience something different every now and then.
 
Why the hell would you want a robot that looks like a skull to stare at you.... thats some great functionality and resources well spent :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure its part of another larger project. The skull will probably be given skin and facial features one day. Couple that with other interactions they plan on using with it. It's a very ambitious project that could lead to a completely life like simulation.

But, it's just that. A simulation. Wussy little "momma's boy"s getting scared at it doesn't surprise me. I think its rather stupid that they outlawed minors seeing it. There's scarier stuff on the streets of manhattan in broad daylight, so maybe we should ban minors from walking the streets too... :rolleyes:

The writer of that article strikes me as one of the kids that would've been holding his mommy's leg. Toughen up and grow some balls, dude. I clicked on to see his rant about how HL2 characters and some chick from a PS3 game are "creepy" and make his skin crawl. Go sit through a single horror film (like horror-fest or something) and you won't think a silly video game is scary at all.

This thing isn't scary. I find it really cool, partially because it looks like a Terminator. That little fluffy "Leonardo" from MIT (I think) was the closest to being "creepy" I've seen yet. But, it wasn't that bad. More an initial shock at how life like it is, despite being a halfway point between "Gizmo" from Gremlins and the Gremlins themselves.
 
Remember that Terminator looking robot named Morgui, you know, the one that stares at everyone? According to this, the robot has been deemed “too scary” for anyone under 18.

Give me a break. Wimps!

If it were walking around on it's own starting you down, yeah, I can see it being downright scary to kids, even adults!

But if it's just a head looking at you then we have too many future fairies walking around.
 
Of course if the Mona Lisa really did stare at you in an eerie unhuman sort of way, it would probably creep you out too.

I would have thought they had come across some useful data already. Their robot is creepy. Do research into making it less creepy.
 
Back
Top