Robot Solves Rubik's Cube in Less Than a Second

My best time is 23.6 seconds and that was way waaaaaaaay back in 1983 long before people came up with even faster solving methods than the one I used that I got from a tiny book at a grocery store register called "The Simple Solution to Rubik's Cube."

But geez... this is insane. I wonder how the hosts in Westworld would do with a Speed Cube and that solving method? :D

To be completely honest, I'm more impressed by the cube they have that can be manipulated that fast than the robot that manipulates it or the algorithm.

It's a pretty low end machine vision problem unless they are reevaluating faces at each step, which it doesn't need to do since it knows what moves it made. The algorithms have been known, and the rig doing the manipulation isn't exactly made of cutting edge stuff.

To be completely honest, I'm more impressed by the cube they have that can be manipulated that fast than the robot that manipulates it or the algorithm.

It's a pretty low end machine vision problem unless they are reevaluating faces at each step, which it doesn't need to do since it knows what moves it made. The algorithms have been known, and the rig doing the manipulation isn't exactly made of cutting edge stuff.

But mah AI, it's the new skynet. It sucks being in computer science your whole life, you never get to be impressed by anything :( Also hacking in movies. Wonder what it's like to be a cop, lawyer, er doctor etc, hope their stuff is less lame :|

Inevitable really.
Next milestone 0.1s...

Major problem will be if the mechanics can take it.
A Rubic Cube evolution will be needed.

I want to see a robot solve one of these with some mad sticker replacing skills... how fast now punk!

It's like turning a drum machine up to some ridiculous bpm. If there's no skill involved... who cares?

We just spent $100,000 building a Rubik's cube solving robot. Should we splurge the extra $12 to buy an actual Rubik's cube or do you guys just want to go with the generic for $6?

The robot sees the cube then starts solving, so no additional programming is required.
You will notice that when the button is pressed the image on the laptop goes from blurred to focused, this is so the robot can't see the configuration of the cube.

New world record, 4.73 seconds, maybe this kid's progeny someday will get it done faster, and so on. Damned impressive stuff, regardless.

Back