road runner, my router&switch and only 1 pc can get on line???

par0thead151

[H]ard|Gawd
:confused: :confused:
ok here is the deal
i just got the cable guy to set up my road runner, and it works all fine and dandy when i plug directly from the cable modem to any of my 3 pc's
However, when I put the 3 pc's on a switch, only one can access the internet.
It it always the one that is closest to the line from the cable modem that gets the internet to work when i ipconfig /release renew...
i can still access files on the computers even the 2 that are not on the internet, can still see the other computers on the switch
my switch is a 5 port N-way switch. it is not name brand, and its logo is a large G over a FE surrounded by a diamond blue shape.
it is not the switch that is malfunctioning., because in my last apartment i just plugged the internet line into the switch and the pc and laptop into the other ports on the switch.

i also have a net gear 802.11B wireless router(wireless features disabled right now) and that has a secluded port for a internet line so i plug the cable modem in to that and the other computers in 3 of the 5 slots on the routers switch. now when i do this, none of the computers can get an ip address.
my laptop is running W2K, my desktop W2K and my room mates desktop is windows XP

what could be the problem here?
i have been trying different configurations for hours now and unplugging and cycling the cable modem and the switch/router depending on what one i am trying at that time.
any help would be very much appreciated,
thanks

Have you correctly setup LAN addresses? I.E. 192.168.1.x..What you are trying to accomplish is NAT. Set up the default gateway on each machine?

You need a router to share internet

The modem is "geeking out" cause it's seeing multiple mac adresses, with a router it only see's one. and you can only have one on at a time.

so i should have the cable modem go to the router.
i need to setup the default gateeway as default or automatic on each box?
or do i type in the mac address of the router?
sorry im new to networking stuff, i usually have my line past the router so i just plug it in and it works

Yes, your router plugs into the modem and your systems all plug into the router. Does your router support DHCP? If so, make sure that feature is turned on and set all of your systems to obtain an IP address from the DHCP. If it it does not then you need to set IP addresses for the router (LAN side, not Net side) and manually plug in IP's for all of the systems. What you need to do is start with the router and one system connected. Once that one is running, connect the next system, get it running, connect the next, etc.

If you are using DHCP each box should pick up the gateway on their own. If you are manually setting up the network then you need to set the router's IP as the default gateway.

The probable cause of your router's inability to connect when connected directly to the modem is that the modem stores in its bridging table the MAC addresses of all LAN devices it has seen, it's config file is set (most likely) to only allow 1 DHCP lease, so it only allows the first device in that table to get an IP from the RR DHCP server. This first device being the computer closest to the modem...the one that was directly connected initaially.

The solution, clear the modem's bridging table.

How? Connect modem to router, power cycle modem, power cycle router. Then give it a try, it should work.

Back