Roach's LCD Guide for Idiots in the 21st Century

I read the OP’s post and had a good laugh. I though it was intended to be a joke to liven up the place. After reading the tread he made it very clear he intended it to be very serious. It is as close to being a troll as it comes without being a troll. Just someone to ignore.

Seriously who uses that kind of terminology "troll", I think you've been on the internet or at star trek conventions too long. It's like on faux news when someone says something thats true then the staff all calls them a "liberal extremist" to try and discredit them without even talking about what they actually said.

One small hint:

Putting "0" in your name instead of "o" and calling everyone "noob" in a guide is probably not the best approach and won't win you any respect.

Seriously who uses that kind of terminology "troll", I think you've been on the internet or at star trek conventions too long. It's like on faux news when someone says something thats true then the staff all calls them a "liberal extremist" to try and discredit them without even talking about what they actually said.
...this is pretty rich coming from a guy calling everyone "unwashed forum noobs" two posts later.

...this is pretty rich coming from a guy calling everyone "unwashed forum noobs" two posts later.
not to mention the good roach only registered a month ago..:p

edit- hey roach...I've put in 7 years here and I still don't feel I can call anyone a n00b.

What's the 24" LCD with the fastest response time? Basically whats the best gaming 24" right now

What size CRT did you have previously? Because as far as I can tell a 20" WS is approixmately the same physical vertical height as a 19" CRT.

Not sure I believe that....how tall is your 20inch, ie the display area only...?

not to mention the good roach only registered a month ago..:p

edit- hey roach...I've put in 7 years here and I still don't feel I can call anyone a n00b.

Until now. :p

Thanks for edumacating us "unwashed forum noobs"

This feels like the no child left behind act... shitty for everyone!

/trolled to warn others to ignore this post.

Ahh, good old Roach fun. Lol @ Roach, you fool. Roach's response, "STFU n00b! I am the l33t!!!!."

What's the 24" LCD with the fastest response time? Basically whats the best gaming 24" right now

the LG246 WPBN best response time, lowest input lag of all 24's, excellent gaming monitor PMVA panel same as in the famous Benq lcd but at lower price, better quality and available in a brick and mortar store for safe purchasing with 100 percent satisfaction.

Is it just me or is conghelach a guerilla working for the LG marketing deparment :(

EDIT: A cooperative operation between Best Buy and LG :p

Even though this thread is clearly retarded, I’d just like to comment that I’ve moved from using a 22 inch CRT for years down to a 20 inch widescreen LCD and I actually like the reduced vertical space.

I ran them both side by side and almost found myself “looking up” on the CRT to see what I was doing, especially while gamming - the 20 incher just seems to fit my line of sight better.

Anyway, this whole thing is purely subjective after all…

Is it just me or is conghelach a guerilla working for the LG marketing deparment :(

EDIT: A cooperative operation between Best Buy and LG :p

Hardly, however input lag is a serious consideration in purchasing a 24 inch panel, tests which I believe are posted somewhere around here indicate the LG has the lowest input lag of the 24's. My endorsement of best buy or circuit city is purely for the purchasing peace of mind when buying an LCD monitor, these stores offer zero dead pixel return policy and hassle free returns in the first thirty days after purchase. Try buying one at Newegg and returning it for any reason and you'll understand my endorsement. For everything else though I would recommend Newegg. Now If I could just get these companies to pay me for the endorsements :D :D :D

Not sure I believe that....how tall is your 20inch, ie the display area only...?

Measured closely 'by the pixels' the 20" WS LCD is ~270mm. The 19" CRT 'phosphor area' - the equivalent thing meaning the part of the screen where it's possible to display colors - is ~275mm. Remember a newer 19" flat-screen CRT actually has ~18" diaginally of viewable image. With the CRT I don't think one would generally use the absolute maximum possible display area though so it might lose a few mm. I'd say they are the same based on that, the only difference in use is that the CRT is fine displaying 1200 pixels vertically for games whereas the 20" LCD's native res is 1050 vertical.

You know, roach's guide was the real deal.

lots of people talk about their own LCD. no one ever bought a hunk of useless shit before right? it's always "the best for them" well, how about this: It is the best for them, because, damn, I can't really see dumping 500+ more dollars again on a damn screen. this is the best for me because it's the only one I will be owning until LED comes out or 30 inch screens are 700 dollars.

If you walked off the wwweb street and read his guide, you would negate the need to read about 85% or more of this entire display forum.

I have been weeding this freakin place for a long time now. time on the clock that is. I read about hm.... 400+ pages, (which have many posts per page) and I have come up with the same freakin list that Roach has. Minus the 26" acer which doesnt seem to be as good as most of the higher end 24's reviewed here.

He posts good warnings about height and such. I mean, if you are on this forum and are above um 17 years old, you want to get the best your money can buy that is worth it. If i took the lead and bought a 22" model, I would have gotten something crappy. 24" is the way to go or 26". its the truth. I am going to hold out and save up rather than get something that is inherently inferior. S-ips is touted on here as the best thing in the universe yet roach puts out why people would still buy a mva in its place. its hard to glean that from these forums and still get to bed on time.

we need more top down reviews here like this. I like his colourful ways too :) better than stick up your ass reviews.

With the CRT I don't think one would generally use the absolute maximum possible display area though so it might lose a few mm. I'd say they are the same based on that, the only difference in use is that the CRT is fine displaying 1200 pixels vertically for games whereas the 20" LCD's native res is 1050 vertical.

Good call.

You know, roach's guide was the real deal.

If you walked off the wwweb street and read his guide, you would negate the need to read about 85% or more of this entire display forum.

All it proves is that your own particular requirements in a monitor happen to coincide with the conclusions of Roach's "guide". It hardly qualifies it as a useful guide for everyone - for instance, he claims a 30" S-IPS monitor is inferior to a 24" or 27" S-PVA or P-MVA. I doubt if there's anyone else on the forum with experience of both who'd agree with that, except for certain specific purposes (gaming frame rates at native resolution, or maybe a particular need for a higher pixel pitch).

Back