rmenkins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexPokinghorn

2[H]4U
UPDATE 2/23/06
Got this PM from RexPokinghorn to post it here - Cold Dark Shadow

Hi,

Apparently they have caught the guy. Lake Mary Police department is encouraging everyone to come forward and file charges:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=399563&page=7&pp=15

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=913088

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=432546&page=1&pp=30

http://boards.ign.com/pc_classifieds/b5329/102219513/r102348329/

Please see if you can contact everyone that has been scammed and have them file a report.

Thanks for your co-operation!

edit: anybody with questions, information or suggestions can contact me at [email protected]

Has anyone ever deal with user rmenkins (DAVID RICHES)?

He contacted me via email saying that he had a 2405FP for sale (June 7th, 3 days ago).
He didn't have any heatware, but he did have photos of the monitor, so I agreed to pay $500 and then the rest upon delivery.
He's supposedly on a business trip right now, but said he'd be available via email. Before he left he informed me that the packaged was dropped off (I'm assuming via FedEx since that was what we agreed to).

I called FedEx and asked them if there were any packages shipped that were en route to my destination. Since it has been two days since the package was supposed to be delivered, I figured it should be in their databases. I was informed (over the phone and a reply to my web-query) that there were no FedEx packages on destination to my home address.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with him? I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt before I pursue anything, but I've already sold my current monitors for this replacement and i'm sitting around on my girlfriend's laptop until I get my monitor, so I'm a little low on patience.

Thanks for any help!

Oh crap, this was supposed to be in the tips / tricks / trolls section - mods can you please move it?

Also, I've got a question.

If this does happen to be a scam / troll - what are the chances that money paid through Western Union (via credit card) can be recovered?

Western Union is really shitty from what ive heard and seen WU is like Satan to online purchases, nothing good ever comes of it lol
It has something to do with the unability to track it to an actual person or some shit like that.

But you did pay by CC so you can just call you CC company and do a charge back

RexPokinghorn said:
Also, I've got a question.

what are the chances that money paid through Western Union (via credit card) can be recovered?

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH I hope it all works out...BUT, Western Union is the prefered payment method of scammers worldwide.......

Bump for a resolution.

Oh, also, is it possible for a mod to find out how long he's been registered? According to him he's been around for a LONG time, just lurking... wondering if rmenkins is a new account or not might help me understand the situation a bit better.

Thanks!

I just found him - google works wonders!

http://hardforum.com/member.php?u=108027

It seems he registered on 06-02-05, so his story about being around for a long time isn't holding water. He was also online yesterday at 9:14am, so he could have responded to both my emails asking for a tracking number and / or an explanation as to why FedEx doesn't have any shipments bound for either of my addresses or my name for the zip code.

Is there a forum policy against obtaining IP addresses?

RexPokinghorn said:
I just found him - google works wonders!

http://hardforum.com/member.php?u=108027

It seems he registered on 06-02-05, so his story about being around for a long time isn't holding water. He was also online yesterday at 9:14am, so he could have responded to both my emails asking for a tracking number and / or an explanation as to why FedEx doesn't have any shipments bound for either of my addresses or my name for the zip code.

Is there a forum policy against obtaining IP addresses?

i believe they do now track ip addresses

thats odd, wonder why i coukld find him
EDIT:
Becuz He hasnt posted anything, i tried the simple search, but being he didnt post anything nothing came up.

RexPokinghorn said:
IIs there a forum policy against obtaining IP addresses?
See the infamous "rule zero":

0) In the instance that we are contacted about any member here being a "bad trader" or a "troll," we reserve the right to turn any and all IP and personal information we have on that member over to any law enforcement authorities and/or any other group or individuals we desire. If you do not agree with this rule, do not trade on our boards.

Kyle is the only one who can give that info out, though, so you would need to contact him directly about it. [email protected]

And CDS, psst! You can look up members who have not posted via the mod control panel. ;)

Good Luck, He offered me the same Item. He wanetd partial payment of 500.00 then 250.00 after I receive the monitor.. He gave me pictures and all and also told me he was gonna be out of town.. hopefully the deal goes through Good Luck! :)

Jasonx82 said:
Good Luck, He offered me the same Item. He wanetd partial payment of 500.00 then 250.00 after I receive the monitor.. He gave me pictures and all and also told me he was gonna be out of town.. hopefully the deal goes through Good Luck! :)
In his email, he said he was going out of town the day he told me he shipped the item, so that was the 8th. Did he tell you when he was going out of town?

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!

I lost $700+ to him just a couple months ago as WELL as 2 other guys I know! Please contact me ASAP at [email protected]. We had gathered together all his info and contacted numerous authorities on this matter. Thank you

Sam

Have you been able to recover any money regarding your deal? $500 isn't something I can afford to lose right now. :mad:

Well, it looks like you got trolled. Whenever someone wants to trade via western union transfer, you should have alarms go off.

PM me any info you have for him and I'll see if I can match it to any known troll info.

BigBadBiologist said:
Well, it looks like you got trolled. Whenever someone wants to trade via western union transfer, you should have alarms go off.

PM me any info you have for him and I'll see if I can match it to any known troll info.
Yeah, I should've known better, but it's one of those "I didn't think it'd happen to me" things. :(

Also, does anyone know if contacting Western Union's fraud department will do me any good?

If I attempt a charge back on my Visa check card, what should I tell them? :confused:

Thanks guys, you've been great help :)

OMG, Good thing I didnt buy that Guys crap..I was so close too... :eek:

Good Luck Buddy, I hope you get that POS.... :mad:

Jasonx82 said:
OMG, Good thing I didnt buy that Guys crap..I was so close too... :eek:

Good Luck Buddy, I hope you get that POS.... :mad:
Yeah, I was gonna say, I bet you're happy you didn't send him any money! :p

I hope my CC has good fraud protection.

RexPokinghorn said:
Have you been able to recover any money regarding your deal? $500 isn't something I can afford to lose right now. :mad:
Out of the 3 that paid him a total of $1700 and filed fraud reports to their respective departments none of us have gotten a penny back.

BigBadBiologist said:

My site has all the info I was able to track down on him. Can you see if the IP's match with what you got?

www.gujumafia1.com/scam

RexPokinghorn said:
Also, does anyone know if contacting Western Union's fraud department will do me any good?

If I attempt a charge back on my Visa check card, what should I tell them? :confused:

Thanks guys, you've been great help :)
WU will tell you they can't do anything. We all tried it. All they well do is tell you to contact your local authorites and tell you to file an online fraud report. You can always TRY the chargeback, that's your only hope.

We also got a hold of his phone # and address. But everything someone would call no one would pick up. The detective that was on the case got through once and was told he was not home for questioning. Then when the detective actually went to the house no one answered but the detective mentioned that he seen someone peeking out thru the window when he was there purposely not opening the door.

LeGenDz said:
Out of the 3 that paid him a total of $1700 and filed fraud reports to their respective departments none of us have gotten a penny back.

My site has all the info I was able to track down on him. Can you see if the IP's match with what you got?

www.gujumafia1.com/scam

WU will tell you they can't do anything. We all tried it. All they well do is tell you to contact your local authorites and tell you to file an online fraud report. You can always TRY the chargeback, that's your only hope.
<snip> is the IP address that Kyle was able to receive. How do you look up where it originated from? He did use the name David Riches, but his email address was [email protected]

<snip>
Sorry, but we can't post personal info publicly. (but I can't stop you if you want to PM the info to LeGenDz). ;)

RexPokinghorn said:
<snip> is the IP address that Kyle was able to receive. How do you look up where it originated from? He did use the name David Riches, but his email address was [email protected]

<snip>
Sorry, but we can't post personal info publicly. (but I can't stop you if you want to PM the info to LeGenDz). ;)
Yes, please PM me the info.

LeGenDz said:
We also got a hold of his phone # and address. But everything someone would call no one would pick up. The detective that was on the case got through once and was told he was not home for questioning. Then when the detective actually went to the house no one answered but the detective mentioned that he seen someone peeking out thru the window when he was there purposely not opening the door.
Could you PM me the phone number he used?

Thanks,
Andy

RexPokinghorn said:

<snip>
Oh, my bad - I thought it was open game on scammers :p

RexPokinghorn said:
Oh, my bad - I thought it was open game on scammers :p

Keep us updated I would like to hear that he's best buddy's with bubba in jail.. :D

So if we put David Richer in zabasearch.com and restrict to florida, there are a number of potential matches (with phone number) that are very close to his location based on the IP address (search http://www.whois.sc/ ) that LeGenDz attained.

BigBadBiologist said:
So if we put David Richer in zabasearch.com and restrict to florida, there are a number of potential matches (with phone number) that are very close to his location based on the IP address (search http://www.whois.sc/ ) that LeGenDz attained.
Hmm, now that's pretty interesting - the Lake Mary ones match up pretty nicely, don't they?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try calling tomorrow. Seems like there's a Dave Richer Sr and Jr.

I hate to admit it, but looks like I got scammed by this dude, too. I only sent him the equivalent of $500 CAD, which is still a fair bit of change. I'm going to contact my CC company to see what I can arrange. If anyone knows the best way to approach this with them, please let me know.

andrewhaji said:
I hate to admit it, but looks like I got scammed by this dude, too. I only sent him the equivalent of $500 CAD, which is still a fair bit of change. I'm going to contact my CC company to see what I can arrange. If anyone knows the best way to approach this with them, please let me know.
Wait, did you "buy" the 2405 from him, too?

This guy is going to get it good :mad:

RexPokinghorn said:
Seems like there's a Dave Richer Sr and Jr.
Actually, just so you know, Sr and Jr only apply when the names are identical, not when they have different middle initials/names. ;) But it's not too hard to make an educated guess who you're likely dealing with based on the years of birth.

zabasearch.com isn't guaranteed to be 100% accurate or current, but it's supposed to be based on public records and seems to be a better source than searching on someone's name in google. In this case, I'd say you have enough to go on to at least make a phone call worthwhile. Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

RexPokinghorn said:
Wait, did you "buy" the 2405 from him, too?

This guy is going to get it good :mad:

He seems to be going through the Unofficial 2405FP Thread in "Display Section" and targeting people who are looking for a good deal on one. :mad:

Even Though I got lucky and didnt fall for his tricks, I want to kick his ass even for trying to pull this shit.. :mad:

RexPokinghorn said:

I think you've been trolled. For the future, don't spend more than you can afford. :(

doggyworld said:
I think you've been trolled. For the future, don't spend more than you can afford. :(
It wasn't more than I could afford - It was more than I could afford to lose.

I was selling my dual display 20" ers and buying the single 2405.

I have now come to the conclusion, today, that I too belong in this story. I sent him $500 as well (not to mention the $46 fee from WU, and the $15 fee from the CC). This happened last week for me. Same story as the first post, was told he had to go on a business trip.

/kick thyself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back