RMAing an old EVGA 7900 GT KO Great Customer Service so far. (will update)

Ryck

Limp Gawd
Well pulled out one of my old rigs to prep for a small LAN a couple weeks ago, so that a friend of mine could come and play. Low and behold, I still have the same (*&$%?) problem. The problem is when switching from 2d into 3d the screen just displays diagonal lines. I have to Control+Alt+Delete to get back to desktop, then reenter the game via its tab.

Let me tell you it brought back bad memorie, as I am on my fourth 7900, from RMAs, that all had this problem. When I got the last card I was just happy that it ran in okay for other tasks, just not games, so I moved on to the 8800GTS and a new rig.

Okay before someone tells me it may be the system the card is in, I have swapped it into 2 other machines (see the top 2 machines listed in my signature) and it exhibits the same problem. I have also tried different drivers, and tested the original machine with my other graphics cards. So low and behold its that 7900.

Okay, this is really not a rant. I was kinda annoyed and my GF was like its still under warranty, so call for help. I called in Saturday and EVGA's tech support was great, plus I did not have to wait on hold at all. He quickly set up my ticket, and I will be receiving my replacement card next Tuesday.

I just hope that when I get the other 7900,or what ever the send, it will not exhibit this problem.

let us know what you get. Something that old, you'll probably receive something better in return.

Youll be fine!

As of right now I just booted up on my new(ish?) GTX260 core 216 from EVGA's RMA.

I sent them my card last Wednesday. It seemed as if they didnt care about my 8800gtx, I checked Friday morning and they had just received the card. As of Friday night my (upgraded) gtx260 was shipped. Props to them.

Also, thanks to EVGA because they didnt have to accept the RMA. I failed to register the card when I purchased it. I called them up and explained the situation and told them I didnt expect them to do anything about it. The guy on the phone immediately asked me if I could upload a quick SS of my newegg invoice. He said he couldnt push the RMA through but his supervisor could. Within 30 minutes my RMA was approved.

UPS called me yesterday saying that I would have to sign for my package. Lucky for me my UPS driver also is the same driver that delivers to my work. At 1pm when he was doing his pickup (he delivers to work at 930am) I asked him if he had my package. He brought it in and I signed for it. $$ Then I left work ;-). The end.

Its working great so far Win7 Exp put my 8800gtx at a 6.0 and the GTX260 is at a 6.3. As far as I can tell, it isn't noticeably faster, but then again COD4 and WoW arn't the most demanding games currently. All in all I rate EVGA A+.

May your( and my) lesson be learned: Register your card immediately.

-Michael

That could probably have been solved by just upping the memory and gpu by about 5-10mhz. I'm surprised they didn't have a bios they could just email you to make the change permanent. I'm guessing you have vista or windows 7 and it never occurred under xp right?

Yeah, the number one thing I tell people is it just makes sense to spend 5 minutes registering, what is sometimes one of the most expensive components, your graphics card.

Also this behavior exhibited itself on XP and Vista.

Last edited:
Okay it looks like they shipped me a 9600GT. Now I know that is definitely better than the 7900 GT I sent in so I am very happy. Now I may want to reshuffle my existing cards depending on how this question is answered.

Which one is better the 9600 512 GT Superclocked, or the 8800 GTS 640?

I ask because if the 9600 is better, than I would bump the 8800GTS to the older of the 3 machines, and relegate it to backup game box.

The 9600 GT is better. It runs cooler, takes less power, can apply more AA, and... well, it's not MUCH faster than the 8800GTS 640MB, but it just has more edge over it.

Okay, here is another quandary. Are they actually pretty close in performance, and if so are we talking about say 5-10% or so? I ask this because my third machine has a weaker power supply, and if they are they are pretty close in performance, I would rather put the less power hungry card in there. Just so long as I would not lose any significant performance on the second rig.

Thanks for the input, I was looking at some charts trying to get an idea of ranking these two cards against each other.

Dude a card that can probably be fixed with changing the clock speed a couple mhz. You are asking about a 9600gt lol it stomps all over a 7900gt. Glad you got a 9600gt but look in the mirror. You basically bought a 06 civic and are like they are like giving you a 09 civic and you're like is it faster? OMG lolz.

No I wasn't complaining about the card that I am going to receive. I was trying to compare the card that I am going to receive to my other card an 8800GTS, to see if it will be worth it to shuffle the cards around.

I am in no way knocking how EVGA has treated me. The phone call was kinda quick, the tech ask me the problem, I then explained it, and he said okay lets RMA the card. That was it.

Last edited:
Dude a card that can probably be fixed with changing the clock speed a couple mhz. You are asking about a 9600gt lol it stomps all over a 7900gt. Glad you got a 9600gt but look in the mirror. You basically bought a 06 civic and are like they are like giving you a 09 civic and you're like is it faster? OMG lolz.

reading comprehension for the loss

When I had to RMA my 7900 GT 512, I got an 8800 GTS 640... I'm going go go out on a limb and say that the 8800GTS 640 is much better than the 9600GT. Its got 50% more memory bandwidth, 128 MB more RAM and 50% more shaders. my 8800 GTS also clocked to 685/1050, and that was an old one. I'd reconsider swapping them out.

When I had to RMA my 7900 GT 512, I got an 8800 GTS 640... I'm going go go out on a limb and say that the 8800GTS 640 is much better than the 9600GT. Its got 50% more memory bandwidth, 128 MB more RAM and 50% more shaders. my 8800 GTS also clocked to 685/1050, and that was an old one. I'd reconsider swapping them out.

I'd say it's pretty close, the 9600GT is based off of the G92, with a much higher shader clock. Anyway I'd stick with the 8800GTS, or sell both and get a GTX260 / 4870 / 4890 and if that is too much, a 4850 should do the trick

The performance is close enough, that I believe I would not see that big of a difference. So when I get the card it will go into my backup gaming rig. Like I said earlier, I was trying to figure out video card placement in my rigs. Seeing as how both cards are close in performance, it would go along the lines of to little gain to do the swap.

No I wasn't complaining about the card that I am going to receive. I was trying to compare the card that I am going to receive to my other card an 8800GTS to see if it will be worth it to shuffle the cards around.

I am in no way knocking how EVGA has treated me. The phone call was kinda quick, the tech ask me the problem. I then explained it, and he said okay lets RMA the card. That was it.

I apologize I am just too used to seeing people complain about some product they are having replaced and think whatever replacement isn't up to par. Too many people think they're entitled or something. So my mistake.

when i RMA'd my 7900GT CO 256Mb card they sent me an 8800GTS 320Mb card as the replacement, great "free" step up if you ask me...

Yeah, my hats off to EVGA they have, in my experience, great customer service. I am a happy customer, and honestly have no complaints on how I was treated, and the service they gave me.

Back