RMA or refund question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix563

Fully [H]
what would you do?

i bought a dfi x48 board from a seller on here. it didn't work when it arrived. (i tried several hours over 2 days to get it working, the parts did work in a dfi x38 i bought from another seller after i gave up trying so i didn't kill the board or my parts during the install). seller said he had rma'ed it once already and got back a working board. he told me to contact dfi for an rma but they wanted $35 to do it so the seller contacted dfi for me to have it rma'ed (shipped from my place with his name).

however, i found a post on another forum where he it is about his problem with the board but it appears to be with the one he got back from rma, he never said anything about having to rma it twice. the email he forwarded to me from dfi it appears he only rma'ed it once from the wording. the board is doing what he stated in the post from another forum)

the seller only wants to give me half the cost of shipping it back to dfi for the rma, (EDIT, now he says he will pay to have it rma'ed to dfi 1 time) but i'm kinda iffy on that now. or should i get a refund? i think the seller knowingly sold me a bum board.

update: got part 1: 100. hoping to get the other 75 soon :)

update 2: 2/28/09:

still waiting on the second part of my refund, its been 6 weeks now. this is ridiculous

update 3: 3/5/09: got the rest of the refund. thanks everyone that helped!

I agree with your assessment, I would leave feedback that noted as such.
As for how to proceed, it's really up to your choice personally. Either having him pay for the RMA shipping, or having him pay return shipping to him and getting a refund are reasonable. It's all just up to what you want at this point

I agree with your assessment, I would leave feedback that noted as such.
As for how to proceed, it's really up to your choice personally. Either having him pay for the RMA shipping, or having him pay return shipping to him and getting a refund are reasonable. It's all just up to what you want at this point

he stated to me that he rma'ed it twice but the email from dfi does not say that. he also stated he wouldn't have funds until early February to do a refund. should i just wait for the fund then? i am willing if he refunds 175 (which is what i paid for the board, total was 185, with 10 bucks for a esata card that does work), to pay the return shipping back to him. should i just wait then?

ok i pm'ed the seller for a refund and told him i appreciate him trying to help me with the rma but i don't wanna go that route. i also linked him to this thread.

I did RMA it 2 times.

The first time was because dfi didn't do shit to the board. They sent it back to me claiming it worked, it didn't post at all when i got it back. I e-mailed them back a second time to do a cross ship with the same board that i had ORIGINALLY sent to him.

I saw no reason to mention that it was an RMA'd board because of the fact that IT DOES WORK. I took it straight out of my pc, and packaged it up.

What happened between the time i put it in the box and it arrived at your door, i have no idea.

one guy from tpu (cdawall) received a doa evga 780i, did he bitch at the seller for a refund? no! he e-mailed evga and got it rma'd. TWICE!

I have been nice, i have tried to work with you, but i will not refund you the money because the board DID work when it left my house. What you did to it, i do not know, far all we know, you fucked it up.

I could have left you high and dry on this, but i kept in contact with you. I emailed dfi for you, i even offered to pay the shipping back to dfi, yet you are not happy.

I will still pay your shipping otherwise, you are on your own.

i want my money back. if you don't i'll do what i have to do to get it back. i hope i don't have to go there but i will if i have too.

edit: just got this text:

I was polite with you and you refused everything I suggested. Rma the board. But it fucking worked b4 I sent it. Falsly acusing me of selling you a bummed board? Ehe your kidding get on tpu and ask about me I have never ripped any1 off. File with who ever you want pp can't do shit since the $$ transfered to my account and its spent

wonderful.

here is the email from dfi that leads me to believe it was only rma'ed once, that he sent me:

Dear Customer;

That is serial # for the MB, but your MB was replace 1 time for cross ship. What is the problem. Please use the same RMA return for the repair.

Best regards,

Susana

RMA Department

DFI San Jose

P:510-226-7500x118

F:510-226-0181

I sayed that because they money had been spent and used to pay various bills.

I have contacted DFI for him and offered shipping.

If you think that ends your responsibility, I sure think you are mistakem. Let's be clear that it is the SELLER'S job to get the item he sold to the buyer in working condition. In this case, it's entirely possible that, in the course of dismounting and shipping the mb YOU damnaged it by causing
-static damage
-layer damage by flexing or "bowing" a multi layer circuit board
-knocking a cap or other component loose
-damage while removing a HSF, video card or other component.

It can happen. This does not even consider we are talking about a board YOU say has been RMA'd twice (sure you should have told the buyer that) and where you may have discussed the current symptoms in another thread or forum.

It sure looks, to me, like he has every right to ask for a refund. If you're not in a financial position to do that, if it was me, I'd ask him if he'd let me pay his shipping costs and get it RMA'd. And I'd loose the attitude when I did it...I hope you do what's right.

I have been nice, i have tried to work with you, but i will not refund you the money because the board DID work when it left my house. What you did to it, i do not know, far all we know, you fucked it up.

I could have left you high and dry on this, but i kept in contact with you. I emailed dfi for you, i even offered to pay the shipping back to dfi, yet you are not happy.

I will still pay your shipping otherwise, you are on your own.

I can see why the seller does not want to do the refund, because the buyer could have caused the problem to the board. It comes down to his word against your word. It is apparent to me that the seller has taken the responsibilty though, contacted DFI & has offered to pay for the shipping to RMA it too. With that being said, IMO,it's clear that he is not out to rip anybody off.

ya this one is tough.. i mean any seller can ship a dead mobo and then again any buyer can mess up a mobo and then say i want refund.. seller should either use the insurance or help with rma which he is doing.. very tough to say who is in the wrong.. maybe the mobo is actually working but doesnt like your psu or ram? it just doesnt post? fans spin?

If you think that ends your responsibility, I sure think you are mistakem. Let's be clear that it is the SELLER'S job to get the item he sold to the buyer in working condition. In this case, it's entirely possible that, in the course of dismounting and shipping the mb YOU damnaged it by causing
-static damage

It can happen. This does not even consider we are talking about a board YOU say has been RMA'd twice (sure you should have told the buyer that) and where you may have discussed the current symptoms in another thread or forum.

It sure looks, to me, like he has every right to ask for a refund. If you're not in a financial position to do that, if it was me, I'd ask him if he'd let me pay his shipping costs and get it RMA'd. And I'd loose the attitude when I did it...I hope you do what's right.

As far as static electricity, it is possible. I once had a p5b dlx i fried from shorting a floppy drive and nothing else in my computer died. just the board.

I have been nice to him, tried working it out but the attitude was provoked by him.

I will still pay the RMA shipping, i will even do what you suggest he send it i rma it and i'll send it back.

I can see why the seller does not want to do the refund, because the buyer could have caused the problem to the board. It comes down to his word against your word. It is apparent to me that the seller has taken the responsibilty though, contacted DFI & has offered to pay for the shipping to RMA it too. With that being said, IMO,it's clear that he is not out to rip anybody off.

I am not out to rip anyone off, i have tried to the do the respectable thing and work with him. I don't want to get a bad name here but it looks like im headed towards that.

ya this one is tough.. i mean any seller can ship a dead mobo and then again any buyer can mess up a mobo and then say i want refund.. seller should either use the insurance or help with rma which he is doing.. very tough to say who is in the wrong.. maybe the mobo is actually working but doesnt like your psu or ram? it just doesnt post? fans spin?

He says he tried the parts from his other machines and no post.

I'll still do shipping to DFI

Just received a reply back from DFI stating to send the board in for a RMA and they will get it taken care of.

directly @matrix563

Rma the board, ship it to DFI.

I will give you the mailing address and i will have it shipped straigh back to you.

freak is a great seller, and did plenty to fix the situation. He's offering to pay for the RMA, and took the initiative to contact and get it all setup. I would be happy if I got a board not working and the seller did all that for me. Shit happens, be lucky you got someone who cares as a seller.

well freaksavior has contacted me with this offer:

I will pay you 160 and you ship it. thats about 10% less than you payed me. Newegg does the same for all boards.

I can hopefully pay you the $160 on friday.

i'm pretty sure newegg doesn't charge restocking fee for something that doesn't work. they never have for me, and he wants some good pics of the board, which i don't mind. after i mail off this p35 i sold to quique55 i will take them.

bottom line is i don't feel comfortable with the rma anymore and yes freaksavior has tried to get it arranged for me, but at first when i told him they wanted to charge me $35 to do it he kept saying to contact dfi and i had to get on him a lil bit by saying 'c'mon man they don't want to let me rma it" so he was trying to push me off onto dfi from the start. i'm that one that got him to try to arrange the rma but from the start i told him i would prefer the refund. after seeing those threads at the other forum that is when i started this thread and now i want a refund.

i offered him to refund me 170 and i'll ship it back to him. i'm a see what he says, chatting with him on yahoo now.

i wouldn't have bought the board if i saw the threads at the other forum. his description of the board's problem pretty much matches what it has done for me, stuck at post 88, the post code led's not all lighting up, and doing weird things like he posted. i just want a refund of 170 (paid 175) and i'll ship it back to him on my dime.

these are the threads in question:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1009293#post1009293

and at the last post in this thread: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=71531

Got my board back i get a weird errror now it looks like this

_
|
_| then a 9

it doesn't look like they even did anything to my board. just returned it.

bottom line is it was my fault i didn't research to see those threads in the first place, but its not my fault to ask for a refund when i'm gonna send it back on my dime no less, i offered.

freaksavior is offering to pay the shipping back now yes, but he only offered half shipping at the start.

-static damage

In the case of that argument what's good for the goose is also good for the gander. It might also be possible that the buyer unintentionally and without realizing damaged the motherboard himself. You all know how delicate mobos can be...

freak is a great seller, and did plenty to fix the situation. He's offering to pay for the RMA, and took the initiative to contact and get it all setup. I would be happy if I got a board not working and the seller did all that for me. Shit happens, be lucky you got someone who cares as a seller.

About thinking that "i think the seller knowingly sold me a bum board", I really don't think this is the case here.
If a seller wanted to get rid of a bum board, he would have just vanished from the scenario - after all he got the money and the buyer got the board, no?

But freaksaviour didn't do this. He kept in contact, went out of his way to contact the seller and to pay for the RMA and everything, just so the buyer gets the working board he deserves because that was what freaksaviour obviously wanted when he offered to sell his board.

It certainly isn't fair that his name and reputation get tainted because of an unfortunate accident which might have happened, sure, but was not an intention of freak to try to bum anyone because the price for doing that under one's own username is high.

Not only has the seller not 'vanished' when contacted, but he went out of his way to contact DFI who accepted to get an RMA for the board and plus that, the seller offered to kindly pay the shipping costs for the RMA. The buyer will not be paying anything, ultimately he'd be getting a working board from DFI. I don't understand what else could the buyer want which is not covered here. And I'm sure the seller would have never gone through all this hassle and expense had he really shipped a non-working board on purpose...

IMO if the board was RMA once prior then you should have been advised that before the sale. You should get a full refund. It was misleading of the seller to not advise you of it from the get go.

Buyer beware is the rule of law. I bought a hard drive that was DOA but I got it rma'd and didn't flip out about it. If he is willing to refund you then take it and run.

freaksavior: B4 I even consider refund I want high res pics
Chris: and i said i would take them
Chris: u know what i'm a take them right now
freaksavior: And that it doesn't work

thats unacceptable. i will take the pics but i will not take my x38 back apart to take pics of the x48 not working, he took a pic already himself of what it is doing, i spent several hours trying to make the board work. i wil post pics in a few seconds.

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

i'm going to take the nb off when i get my refund back from him and ship it to him.

Buyer beware is the rule of law. I bought a hard drive that was DOA but I got it rma'd and didn't flip out about it. If he is willing to refund you then take it and run.

i'm not flipping out. if u see what he wrote me when i said i would do all i could to get my money back, about haha too late i spent it, who is really flipping out? :p;)

and yes he did get an attitude with me but that was not brought out by me, saying goodluck i spent the money already and its gone is not the right attitude to have at all and if thats the way he felt that has nothing to do with me.

Parties are in contact, and appear to be working through some sort of agreement. The community has provided input, so it's up to you guys to work it out now. If anyone needs to provide an update to this thread, please PM me or another moderator

well ups cut the seller a check for payment for the claim he filed. seller got the board sent back to him on ups's dime.

seller is building an i7 system on another forum and told me its from credit card funds. yet refunding me and avoiding a negative is not a priority?

he has the board back. have i missed something?

oh yeah, paypal won't approve my claim stating its not an ebay item. i never said it was. they basically told me i get the r kelly treatment :rolleyes:

seller also previously stated to me he closed his paypal account when i filed a dispute, which was not immediately.

i am about to do go to my bank to turn in a form to try to get my money back but i dont' wanna do that. why should i have to potentially mess up my paypal account to get my money back? i think freaksavior, you should just refund me asap.

Wow, I think it was obvious from the start that this guy (seller) was trouble.

How many times did he change his refund amount and how many times did he pat himself on the back for doing what every single good seller is suppose to do (agree to a refund)?

IMO, the OP had every single right to ask for what he was asking. No more, no less. None of this "I'll give you xx.xx dollars instead" or "you RMA it yourself" or "I'll give you half shipping" is a positive sign that the seller wanted to actually work it out with the buyer and it proved so in the end.

Good luck in getting your money back OP. If Paypal doesn't give your money back, either file a chargeback with your CC or go through your bank if you paid through a debit card.

well he said earlier he finally got the ups check today and will refund me tmw night or friday night (yes i know they are the same day).

i asked him to refund both to me, since he originally told me he may be able to do 75 on the 13th, since that is when he gets paid. since he has the check too, i see no reason he can't do both.

oh and i found something else he is buying instead of refunding me

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1209325&postcount=7

285gtx? im happy for him. i'll be happier when he sends me my refund ;) :p

mod's please leave this thread open until i get my refund. if.... :(

ok he refunded me $103.29 just now, so thats 99.99 ;). i won't whine about a penny. i just found a quarter pumping gas earlier lol. so thats $75 more to go. will update when the other 75 comes :)

well i know he got paid yesterday (he said earlier he gets paid this month on the 13th and 27th) so i shot him a message earlier yesterday asking if he was gonna send the rest sometime yesterday.

i got a response when i was at work:

freaksavior: waiting for the board to show back up. then i will examine the situation

he mailed the board to dfi for an rma anyways and he told me dfi said there was trace damage around the north bridge holes (on the bottom of the motherboard. from their pics it looks like damage fromsomething circular, yet all i used was the regular plastic clips that come with dfi's nb cooler. that would not cause that. the trace damage is not very noticeable (i didn't even notice it till he sent me the pics dfi sent him) and it was definitely NOT caused by me.

at any rate he did file that ups claim where they stated the board was damaged in transit, whereby he got a $100 check from that ups claim. he has refunded me $100 so far but i'm tired of getting dicked around for the other $75. i originally paid him on jan. 15th 2009 and its almost march pretty much. 6 weeks and i still don't have my whole refund.

i am also a little sketchy on how he sent the first part of the refund, instead of a straight refund he it as a payment with extra to cover the paypal fees. i hope he wouldn't do a chargeback but the fact i'm still waiting on the rest i have no idea. just based on what he messaged me:
freaksavior: waiting for the board to show back up. then i will examine the situation

examine the situation? so he can do a chargeback on the partial refund he sent me as a payment?! ugh i'm going to sleep and hopefully when i wake up he will have sent the rest. i am sure he has the board back from dfi by now as he probably sent it when he got it early this month. (if he did, dont' see why he wouldn't but i didn't ask him for tracking to dfi etc lol)

I still have not received the board back from DFI.

Im not doing a charge back, i want the board in my hands before i give you the other money.

wow, dude is buying up stuff but has yet to fully refund the buyer, I was thinking of buying that board, glad I didn't and definitely glad that I now know to stay away from his for sale threads...

wow, dude is buying up stuff but has yet to fully refund the buyer, I was thinking of buying that board, glad I didn't and definitely glad that I now know to stay away from his for sale threads...

wow so your going to judge me from 1 bad sale? wow thanks.

ass

ass

First off,
(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

Second, while not necessarily directed at you in this situation, there is a common saying on FS/T boards:
You are only as good as your last trade.

hey this is cdawall off TPU/XS/Ashentech/OCF/B3D/AMDZONE/[H] my login doesn't work so i'm posting this for aaron.

the mobo worked when it left his house we tried setting several WR's with the mobo on water. the mobo was 100% running when it was in aaron's hands the fact that someone else has managed to monkey the thing up is not his fault. i'm a mod on a copule boards and i'm just going to put it out there that aaron has done his part with this guy. it is pretty common knowledge that DFI wont replace a screwed up mobo with the traces forked up which makes me think this guy knowingly refused the offer to RMA cause the traces on the bottom were broken due to him.

if you have any questions as to his rep feel free to drop me an email on yahoo. i have aim/MSN as well under cdawall ask ill tell.

Mmmmmk and I am his long lost brother from Africa? Getting a little desperate there buddy asking for a little help there by your friend because you don't have the other $75 to refund on your shopping spree on newegg. And after UPS gave you $100 check to cover most of the refund.

going on the DNT list buddy

He's already been caught selling the broken board, and the thread linked proved it.

hey this is cdawall off TPU/XS/Ashentech/OCF/B3D/AMDZONE/[H] my login doesn't work so i'm posting this for aaron.

the mobo worked when it left his house we tried setting several WR's with the mobo on water. the mobo was 100% running when it was in aaron's hands the fact that someone else has managed to monkey the thing up is not his fault. i'm a mod on a copule boards and i'm just going to put it out there that aaron has done his part with this guy. it is pretty common knowledge that DFI wont replace a screwed up mobo with the traces forked up which makes me think this guy knowingly refused the offer to RMA cause the traces on the bottom were broken due to him.

if you have any questions as to his rep feel free to drop me an email on yahoo. i have aim/MSN as well under cdawall ask ill tell.
first off, we don't need you or anyone to vouch for freaksavior. what we need is for him to finish refunding me lol :p ;) :).
i'm a mod on ramanon btw so that doesn't mean too much that u are a mod cdawall ;).

that trace damage near the nb hole looks like a screw caused that. i only used what came with the board which is the plastic tabs so i know there is no way i caused that. it doesn't matter if u or freak caused it or not to me, thats a moot point, since the ups claim he filed already said it was damaged in transit.

as i stated before i did not want to rma it because freak didn't want to pay for the shipping to dfi and while me and him were working that out i saw his threads on tpu about the board, which if i had seen before i would never have bought it in the first place. i didn't monkey up anything. in fact, i rebuilt my computer with the other x38 dfi i ordered at the same time as the one i got from freak, as well as built my friend's Q9550/4870x2/stacker 830 case with asus p45 no problems, and added some upgrades to my other Q9450 case the other day (4870x2, 4gb ram, areca 24 port raid card). that recent upgrade is here:

http://forum.ramanon.com/showthread.php?t=68684

i know me building about 50 or so systems isn't alot but i've never had one to break yet besides my mom's, and that was 18 months after i built it and it died due to a thunderstorm. i don't damage systems and have never once during builds/rebuilds done so.

ass

actually, I thought your solution to the problem was very appropriate, but your spending spree in lieu of the man's refund changed my mind, the subsequent childish insult/name calling has only proven my point...

another thing i thought of:
(originally posted by me on 1/26/09)
freaksavior: B4 I even consider refund I want high res pics
Chris: and i said i would take them
Chris: u know what i'm a take them right now
freaksavior: And that it doesn't work

why would he want high res pics? uness that trace damage was there prior to him shipping me the board. i dunno just something else i realized that seems fishy. i mean you don't need high res pics to make sure the board is intact, unless you were out to make someone a scapegoat i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back