RMA for Turbo Cool 510 ATX-PFC?

PurduEE

[H]ard|Gawd
So basically, I have a 4 year old turbo cool 510. It's dead, but under warranty. I haven't used it in some time (because it's broken), so if I RMA'ed it, it would still just be a spare PSU. At the time, I recall I spent about $200 on the PSU, but now I'm wondering if it's worth the $10-15 shipping to get back a 510W PSU that I don't really have a use for. As I recall, this PSU is loud, and it is not modular, meaning I'd have to route a bunch of extraneous PSU wires in my case. My main system is running a BFG 1200W and my WHS system is running an Seasonic 700W, both modular and both quieter.

While it pains my naturally cheap nature, I'm contemplating just throwing this thing away rather than spend money to get a PSU that I won't use. I could sell it, but a 510W PSU is worth maybe $20-$30, which means after eating the shipping for the RMA, I've made maybe $10-$15. Not worth the time involved, in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Only one choice makes the most sense to me:
RMA it, keep it as a spare PSU or ebay it.

If you're going to toss it,
Do not "throw it away" unless you intend to take it to a place that can safely/properly dispose of the power supply. You do not want to get caught tossing something like that in the trash.
Keep in mind that places like this do charge a few bucks to dispose of it.

I think it would be best to simply get a RMA.

Since they don't have any 510's in stock anymore you will likely receive an upgrade. Personally, I would RMA it.

Do not "throw it away" unless you intend to take it to a place that can safely/properly dispose of the power supply. You do not want to get caught tossing something like that in the trash.

It's hardly a car battery or something. I imagine it's much less worse than all the old TVs/CRTs I see thrown away on my street every time they have a large-item pickup. Moreover, the city picks up garbage from my container with a truck with a motorized arm - the guys never get out.

What's your source for "don't get caught" throwing away a PSU?

RMA it. A good 500W PSU is worth at least $50 if you were to sell it, and you never know when you might need a good spare PSU (500W can power more than you might think).

RMA it and then keep or sell it. Given that it's a PCP&C it is more than likely that there will be a lot of people who would be willing to buy it off of you because of the name. So it is definitely worth more than $20 - $30. I'm betting you could flip it for closer to $50 to $60. Maybe more but either way, $10 bucks to ship it off is not bad at all for an RMA.

Back