RM Clock noob help

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
So I've got my new rig overclocked which raises temps and fan speed. Thing is, if I'm just surfing or writing code, I really don't need all that speed.

Is RM Clock the answer?

I downloaded it but have no idea how to use it and was not able to find anything online. It would be nice to underclock my C2D when I don't need all the horsepower.

So my questions are:

1. Would you experienced overclockers recommend RM Clock?
2. If so how should I set it up?

well i would call myself an experienced overclocker though ive never heard of RM Clock. if you dont need to overclock 24/7, how about setting it to stock until you want to benchmark/ play games? all it takes is a reboot to change over... unless you cant wait the 45 second boot time. i have the same mobo, just set up 2 overclock profiles in bios, one for stock, one for medium use, one for max oc.

well i would call myself an experienced overclocker though ive never heard of RM Clock. if you dont need to overclock 24/7, how about setting it to stock until you want to benchmark/ play games? all it takes is a reboot to change over... unless you cant wait the 45 second boot time. i have the same mobo, just set up 2 overclock profiles in bios, one for stock, one for medium use, one for max oc.

Good idea, I never thought to use the OC profiles. I guess you use light for surfing, heavy for gaming, but what do you use the medium OC profile for?

whatever you need, its 100% customizable you can make as many profiles for as many things as you have a need for

I swear by rmclock on my laptop. With undervolting and overclocking, I've achieved 15-20 min of extra life while on the larger battery.

For pc, you're not able to run 1.325v (if that's stock for your c2d) stably at your overclock? You can try enabling c1e and eist and see if that'll scale multiplier and vcore for you. But on my ds3, it doesn't scale voltage if I change it from default (1.325). Perhaps, if you did a vdroop mod so that 1.325 possibly works, then you could take advantage of the scaling and still possibly be stable.

With c1e and eist on, I'm idling at around 24'c coretemp. With it off, I was seeing around 34'c. Load is the same 43'c regardless

I swear by rmclock on my laptop. With undervolting and overclocking, I've achieved 15-20 min of extra life while on the larger battery.

For pc, you're not able to run 1.325v (if that's stock for your c2d) stably at your overclock? You can try enabling c1e and eist and see if that'll scale multiplier and vcore for you. But on my ds3, it doesn't scale voltage if I change it from default (1.325). Perhaps, if you did a vdroop mod so that 1.325 possibly works, then you could take advantage of the scaling and still possibly be stable.

Right now I've got my E6400 up to 3.2 GHz at 1.325v. So do I still need to worry about c1e, eist and the vdroop mod?

Also how should I setup RM Clock to lower my FSB when I'm just surfing/coding? Can you walk me through the settings you use?

With c1e and eist on, I'm idling at around 24'c coretemp. With it off, I was seeing around 34'c. Load is the same 43'c regardless

Do you mind sharing a TAT screenshot?

hey, congrats on having an e6400 that's stable at 1.325v :) is that the default voltage? If so, download cpuz or I guess any other program that tracks vcore and see what it does under idle conditions. If it drops down to the 1.1's, you're already getting the full benefits of c1e and eist.

Also, if you look for crystal cpuid, there's a realtime clock display in that, and it'd show you when it's actually idling at 6x multiplier.

So in your case, I don't think that rmclock would really help as much. The dothan I used it for on my laptop didn't support the newer eist method. Also, rmclock doesn't alternate fsb, just multiplier and possibly voltage. The only reason it benefits me on the laptop is because stock settings for my laptop chip were 0.988v @ 6x100 and 1.340v @ 15x100. Once I was done with it, my tuned settings were 0.700v @ 6x133=800, and 1.180v @ 15x133=2000.

I'm sorry I don't have a tat screenshot. For some reason I can't get it to work with windows 2003. But in any event, my e6400 isn't stable at 1.325v so I'm not running it there anymore. So it doesn't do the vcore manipulation anymore since I'm at 1.375v, which is nonstock. Judging by what my vcore droops to under load, I imagine that if I were to find out a mod for it to eliminate it, I could be once again running 1.325v set in bios and still be fine. I'll let you know if I ever do any work on that, but I'm pretty much completely fed up with the ds3 board

hey, congrats on having an e6400 that's stable at 1.325v :) is that the default voltage? If so, download cpuz or I guess any other program that tracks vcore and see what it does under idle conditions. If it drops down to the 1.1's, you're already getting the full benefits of c1e and eist.

Thanks. I set it to 1.325v in BIOS but SpeedFan and CPUz reports 1.34v. Is that good? Should I try lowering it?

cpuzvq7.gif

Also, if you look for crystal cpuid, there's a realtime clock display in that, and it'd show you when it's actually idling at 6x multiplier.

So that program will show me if my CPU ever drops below the standard 8x multiplier? Will that work since I have SpeedStep disabled?

So in your case, I don't think that rmclock would really help as much.

OK, cool. One less thing to worry about.

I'm sorry I don't have a tat screenshot. For some reason I can't get it to work with windows 2003. But in any event, my e6400 isn't stable at 1.325v so I'm not running it there anymore. So it doesn't do the vcore manipulation anymore since I'm at 1.375v, which is nonstock. Judging by what my vcore droops to under load, I imagine that if I were to find out a mod for it to eliminate it, I could be once again running 1.325v set in bios and still be fine. I'll let you know if I ever do any work on that, but I'm pretty much completely fed up with the ds3 board

So you had to raise it up to 1.4v to get it stable? Were you ever stable at 1.325-1.35v around 400 FSB like I am?

hmm if you have speedstep / c1e / eist disabled, it shouldn't vary the multiplier nor the vcore. Try enabling them and then see what vcore readings you get as well as if it's still stable.

Back