Riveting

sabrewolf732

Supreme [H]ardness
Need to rivet for a case I'm building, however I don't know how, what tools to use etc. People that are experianced with riveting fill me in please. Thanks.

you get a rivet and a rivet gun and then put the rivet in the gun and put in to metal or whatever you want to fasten and squeeze

coolkishan said:
you get a rivet and a rivet gun and then put the rivet in the gun and put in to metal or whatever you want to fasten and squeeze

so I dont have to pre drill holes? what size rivets should I get, I looked on ebay and there are diff looking rivets too

NO you drill the holes and then you insert the rivet in there and squeeze on the gun. You can get countersunk rivets and loads more. But countersunk ones cant be used on rivet guns the ones you get on rivet guns have a dome top. ( i got all this information in thursdays dt lesson) really i did:D

Rivets are very simple. Choosing the right rivet depends on how thick of metal you want to go through, most commonly, you will be going through 2 thing pieces of sheet steel or aluminum, right? For that I would sugest 1/8" rivets for 1/8" thickness. I would suggest buying your rivets from a place such as www.mcmaster.com or even better your local hardware store if that's the only thing you need to avoid shipping costs. The packages tell you everything you'll need to know about the rivets. It will tell you exactly what size drill bit to use and the thickness of material it is best used for.

The rivet gun is even simpler, pretty much any heldheld gun will do just fine. $20 is a bit high, but don't even think about spending more then that on a rivet gun.

If you were me, you should just avoid rivets all together. In my current build, I'm building everything so that it is removable. I picked up a box of 100 #8/32 x 3/8" Black Oxidized Steel Button Head Screws for $10 on www.mcmaster.com IMO, they look very sexy on the polished aluminum.

Silent Assasin said:
Rivets are very simple. Choosing the right rivet depends on how thick of metal you want to go through, most commonly, you will be going through 2 thing pieces of sheet steel or aluminum, right? For that I would sugest 1/8" rivets for 1/8" thickness. I would suggest buying your rivets from a place such as www.mcmaster.com or even better your local hardware store if that's the only thing you need to avoid shipping costs. The packages tell you everything you'll need to know about the rivets. It will tell you exactly what size drill bit to use and the thickness of material it is best used for.

The rivet gun is even simpler, pretty much any heldheld gun will do just fine. $20 is a bit high, but don't even think about spending more then that on a rivet gun.

If you were me, you should just avoid rivets all together. In my current build, I'm building everything so that it is removable. I picked up a box of 100 #8/32 x 3/8" Black Oxidized Steel Button Head Screws for $10 on www.mcmaster.com IMO, they look very sexy on the polished aluminum.

Well, screws would be too big and bulky for the case Im building. Ill try to get pics up

Back