• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Risen (Oldschool RPG)

lobski2

Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2009
Messages
969
So I picked this up on the Steam 50% sale. Anyone else playing it?

I can't seem to get the mouse sensitivity tweak to work. Has anyone had any luck?
 
Never tried any mouse sensitivity tweak, didn't seem to bother me, but it was a good game :) Worth the sale price for sure.
 
50% off is a steal. Risen is one of the better RPG's in years really. I didn't need to mess with mouse sensitivity though, it was pretty solid to begin with for me.
 
I was wanting to pull the trigger on this too but then it comes with TAGES. Can anyone shed some light on this DRM? I'm familiar with securom and whatnot but not TAGES. All I know is it has a 3 activation limit which I'm willing to overlook for $15. Is it just another form of securom?
 
I was wanting to pull the trigger on this too but then it comes with TAGES. Can anyone shed some light on this DRM? I'm familiar with securom and whatnot but not TAGES. All I know is it has a 3 activation limit which I'm willing to overlook for $15. Is it just another form of securom?

Never had a problem. Never noticed it. Quite frankly forgot about it.

Co-signed with LeninGHOLA. This is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in years. Not to be missed.
 
Worth playing for sure. It is an action rpg. The fighting actually takes skill and there is a learning curve to it. Game starts a bit slow but progresses nicely. I only got part of the way through it the first time. Some bug killed it then. I had to return the game. Thinking about picking it up for this price. You will get your moneys worth.
 
Risen one of the best RPGs in years? Man, you guys have poor taste.

Is it the poor voice acting that got you hooked? The unimaginative and uninspiring story? The lack of character customization?

Basically this whole game was a very poor version of Gothic 2, and Gothic 2 wasn't that great to begin with, it also lacked character customization, bigtime, it also had poor voice acting and poor writing - that real familiar awkwardness foreign developers tend to bring to the table - but at least Gothic 2 had something fresh about it at the time.

Risen has nothing fresh about it. I can't believe someone actually said the fighting requires skill. The combat in this game is extremely simple, there's no tactics, it's just clicking one button, that's seriously all you need. Clicking one button at the right time.

When I was finished playing through Risen I regretted it, I wish hadn't spent time on it, I kept hoping it would get better, until I realized man, it's already over, and nothing exciting had happened. Finishing the game only made it 10 times worse than if I hadn't, it was the confirmation that yes, the game is this simple, there is nothing more. This is it. And that wasn't much.

"Game starts a bit slow but progresses nicely"

Don't believe this for a second, the game is slow throughout.
 
Risen was my 2009 RPG GOTY

Two Worlds II is my 2010 RPG GOTY

I can warmly recommend Risen, especially at the -50% off on Steam.
 
I just finished Risen. I bought it off Steam a while ago but didn't get around to playing it until now. I have rolled the credits on this title so I have a pretty good idea about what this RPG offers from beginning to end.

I enjoyed the game very much. Risen is a fun, mature, RPG. It is divided into 4 chapters, the first being somewhat slow and plodding, containing a lot of interaction with NPCs The combat at the lower levels is brutally difficult, especially until you begin to understand how it works and learn to play off your opponent. It takes practice and experience with the combat system to really get the hang of it.

It is more of a commitment kind of game than a casual one. The combat is brutal until you level up some, and there are mind bending puzzles that must be solved. There is a lot to keep track of and you need to pay attention to the game dialogue. You will need to show some persistence if you want to get through Risen.

The later chapters introduce a lot more exploring and discovering of the game world. There is much to see and explore; ruins, farms, temples, swamps, mountains, caves, beaches, and it is all populated with threatening, scary stuff :)

I thought the story was fine, maybe a little cliche, but it wasn't entirely without mystery or intrigue. The voice acting and the script are excellent, which make interacting with the NPCs very entertaining. The in game characters are dripping with personality and professionally presented, which goes a long way towards raising the entertainment value of the game.

The game is not ultra cutting edge as far as graphics but they are pleasing to the eye and the game ran butta smooth on my rig, no crashes or bugs, with the video options maxed @1920 X1200. I have a i7 920 cpu, 6gb ram, and a rather dated HD4850 512mb, playing on XP.

If you are in the mood for a challenging RPG, Risen delivers, and at the $15 price point maybe the best deal on Steam right now.
 
a fair warning, currently steam is out of cdkeys for risen (confirmed on risen steam forums) so if you buy it you won't be able to play it until the publisher provides them more keys, this is not reflected on the store page. ive owned it for almost 36 hours now and have yet to be able to launch the game
 
If you are in the mood for a challenging RPG, Risen delivers, and at the $15 price point maybe the best deal on Steam right now.

Seriously, Risen is not a challengig RPG. Like I said before, no tactics in combat, you can win all fights with the click of one single button, I'm not even kidding.

There's a big difference between challenging, and just slow. Yes, a lot of things can easily kill you early on in Risen, that doesn't mean it's challenging, as you're not supposed to be able to kill those things, you're supposed to just grind slow and play errand boy for 15 hours doing incredible dull quests.

Combat in Risen is almost as simplified as it can get in RPGs. You people call it RPG GOTY, etc, what kind of RPGs are you playing?

Combat in Temple of Elemental Evil, that was challenging.

Get some perspective.
 
Yeah, ok. So if you don't like a game, it's trolling. If you like it, what is it then?
Seems like you guys only want to hear from people who love it. Screw that.
Opinions of dislike are equally valid.

It rubs me the wrong way when people say things which are just not true. Which is obviously fine with you?
Things like: Risen is challenging and has great fighting, when it has one of the most simplified combat "systems" in a PC RPG to date.
 
^^ ah Temple of Elemental Evil... loved that game. ..oldschool D&D. Doesn't get any better than that. But alas since the advent of games like Diablo and Dungeon Siege, and the marriage of consoles with rpg, the genere has become more 'console' oriented. Which is why I loved Drakensang and looking forward to River of Time.
Anyway I think I'll give Risen a shot...for $15 it'll tied me over till something else comes along.
 
The combat in Risen is not all that simplistic. To be victorious you need to keep an eye on your opponent and strike when the time is right. Blocking is also involved, as well as parying opponents attacks. If you are not careful they will wail on you, likewise if you get in on them and break their defenses you can deliver some serious damage.

Look, it's not Ninja Gaiden, but there is more to it than spaming the same attack over and over. If I try that method I find myself taking the worst of it. Also, there is the possibility of becoming flanked when facing more than one enemy. Being attacked on more than one side is deadly and needs to be avoided.
 
I miss classic RPGs. Action RPGs have gotten kinda old. I want more BG1-2, temple of elemental evil, etc RPGs. Dragon Age was good, but not Baldur's Gate good.
Could you imagine a 3D Baldur's gate? Everything looking EXACTLY the same, but in 3D instead of sprites.

images


Also, I loved Risen...it gave me the same feeling that Gothic 2 gave me earlier this decade.
 
Dunno where the codex troll came from, but there is also be a demo out for it if you're on the fence.
 
Yeah, ok. So if you don't like a game, it's trolling. If you like it, what is it then?
Seems like you guys only want to hear from people who love it. Screw that.
Opinions of dislike are equally valid.

It rubs me the wrong way when people say things which are just not true. Which is obviously fine with you?
Things like: Risen is challenging and has great fighting, when it has one of the most simplified combat "systems" in a PC RPG to date.

Different strokes from different folks. You don't like the game fine. Don't insult everyone who disagrees with you, which seems to be everyone in the thread. So perhaps the game is good but it just wasn't to your tastes. That is fine. You described your indifference to the game so let it go now and let others read the thread and come to their own conclusions.

I bought it just because you sounded so stark raving pissed off over it I had to see what kind of game could piss in your virtual cherrios to get you so worked up.
 
I bought it just because you sounded so stark raving pissed off over it I had to see what kind of game could piss in your virtual cherrios to get you so worked up.

Lol I'm going to try it out too because of this thread, but not for this reason. Just haven't played any RPGs in a while and figure this at 15 bucks isn't such a bad deal. How long will the sale last?

About how long did it take u guys to finish the game?
 
Lol I'm going to try it out too because of this thread, but not for this reason. Just haven't played any RPGs in a while and figure this at 15 bucks isn't such a bad deal. How long will the sale last?

About how long did it take u guys to finish the game?

I haven't got a chance to play it yet due to the apparent lack of keys, but if you also like the old school RPG's gog.com has the BG, ID, and Plancescape series for 9.99 each. Temple of Elmental Evil and Fallout 1 & 2 are also there for 5.00 each. Enough there to keep me tied back up in awesome nostagalia heaven for a year.
 
Lol I'm going to try it out too because of this thread, but not for this reason. Just haven't played any RPGs in a while and figure this at 15 bucks isn't such a bad deal. How long will the sale last?

About how long did it take u guys to finish the game?

I probably got at least a good 20 hours out of it.
 
I miss classic RPGs. Action RPGs have gotten kinda old. I want more BG1-2, temple of elemental evil, etc RPGs. Dragon Age was good, but not Baldur's Gate good.


Agreed.

Risen was good for what it was, as was the fully patched Gothic 3--but BG1-2, IWD, P:T, etc. are on another level.
 
for $15, if you like any of the gothics the game is a no-brainer. I got about 80 hours out of it. The gothic combat is not as much skill based as stats based, ie: if your stats are below what is required to penetrate a shield, you are not going to do any damage. Some other aspects apply, but they are a lesser factor.
 
I couldn't get into Gothic 3 either. Gothic 4 was mildly entertaining until I discovered minecraft. Fallout: New Vegas isn't too bad, but yeah.
 
gothic 3 was made awesome after the community patch (1.74), quest patch 4.2 and content mod 2.1
they have added high resolution textures, fixed all the flawed quests and put in a lot of new content
combat ai is also modified and/or rebalanced if selected. well worth playing again.
gothic 3 has more content than risen and gothic 4 combined.
 
Yeah, I played it 100% modded with all of the above. It was kinda fun to explore, but the story and such just wasn't very interesting nor complex.
 
Whats up with the way that people troll the game section here? It seems like the people who don't like a certain game will post about it more than the people who do like the game. It happens a lot here. It's actually why I avoid the gaming section here.

So far I'm really liking this game btw.
 
Gothic 3 focused on exploring and combat and building up your character. Not so much a deep story or a tall tale. Looting was a big part of it too. Like Jimi sez the content was just over the top. Really too big of a game imo. I think it could have been one third the size and been about right. Even at that it would have been larger than Risen. There were three large areas in G3, the first one was a lush wooded place called Myrtana that had 8 towns in it, where Risen has one. Then there were two more areas just about as large, a mountainous place and a desert, both with populated towns and villages, and all this seamlessly connected without a loading screen to be found. The game is a monster of content, by far the largest game I have played outside of an MMO. I have prolly started G3 4 or 5 times and never got through to the end. Its just too big for me :D
 
Whats up with the way that people troll the game section here? It seems like the people who don't like a certain game will post about it more than the people who do like the game. It happens a lot here. It's actually why I avoid the gaming section here.

So far I'm really liking this game btw.

If you're referring to the post by odex I'd hardly call that trolling. There's really nothing wrong with someone posting a valid opinion of a game that's contrary to what you believe. Saying something like "this game sucks" is trolling, he actually pointed out some reasons why he doesn't like it.

What I don't understand is why people think someone shouldn't be able to post why they don't like a game without be labeled a troll.
 
Gothic 3 focused on exploring and combat and building up your character. Not so much a deep story or a tall tale. Looting was a big part of it too. Like Jimi sez the content was just over the top. Really too big of a game imo. I think it could have been one third the size and been about right. Even at that it would have been larger than Risen. There were three large areas in G3, the first one was a lush wooded place called Myrtana that had 8 towns in it, where Risen has one. Then there were two more areas just about as large, a mountainous place and a desert, both with populated towns and villages, and all this seamlessly connected without a loading screen to be found. The game is a monster of content, by far the largest game I have played outside of an MMO. I have prolly started G3 4 or 5 times and never got through to the end. Its just too big for me :D

I'll give it that much. For that, it was amazing and impressive.

But I'm much more interested in story, including well thought out side stories (think the various side quests in BG 1 and 2), as well as more tactical combat (BG1 + 2). I found Dragon Age lacked greatly on the tactics side of things, though the story was pretty good.
 
Seriously, Risen is not a challengig RPG. Like I said before, no tactics in combat, you can win all fights with the click of one single button, I'm not even kidding.

There's a big difference between challenging, and just slow. Yes, a lot of things can easily kill you early on in Risen, that doesn't mean it's challenging, as you're not supposed to be able to kill those things, you're supposed to just grind slow and play errand boy for 15 hours doing incredible dull quests.

Combat in Risen is almost as simplified as it can get in RPGs. You people call it RPG GOTY, etc, what kind of RPGs are you playing?

Combat in Temple of Elemental Evil, that was challenging.

Get some perspective.

Haven't played Risen but know where you are coming from. I wish some game game developer would give us a real old school RPG with TB combat where using your brain is what matters and not your reflexes. Some of the old RPGs had combat systems more akin to Chess than Tiddlywinks and I miss that from today's RPGs.
 
Then there were two more areas just about as large, a mountainous place and a desert, both with populated towns and villages, and all this seamlessly connected without a loading screen to be found.

Yes, but instead you have to put up with chugging and stuttering far worse than in Oblivion or Fallout3 as it loads new scenery on the fly. Actually, it is the worst texture and 3D model loading of any game I have ever played.
 
If you're referring to the post by odex I'd hardly call that trolling. There's really nothing wrong with someone posting a valid opinion of a game that's contrary to what you believe. Saying something like "this game sucks" is trolling, he actually pointed out some reasons why he doesn't like it.

What I don't understand is why people think someone shouldn't be able to post why they don't like a game without be labeled a troll.

True, he at least played the game. I've seen a lot of people bashing games that they've never played here, the New Vegas thread comes to mind.

Honestly how many posts are you going to make in a thread about a game that you don't like? There are plenty of games that I don't like but I don't go and post a bunch of times in those threads and call anyone who seems to like the game a contard.
 
Not only is Risen the best RPG of 2009, it is also gorgeous.

Especially the lighting puts other games to shame.
 
I'm tempted to try this game out now, I've been itching for a new RPG, this will soak up some time while waiting for D3.
 
I finished Risen as a fighter for the Don, so I thought I would play through again as a warrior for the monastery. I knew that meant using a staff and a robe, so I was thinking he would be something like a wizzard. Actually he is much more like a martial artist than Gandalf, so I really like playing him. Another great part of the game I haven't played. A whole new character, a new starting environment, with a whole new quest line that is pretty fun. This game is okay!
 
Back
Top