Risen 3: Titan Lords.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Anyone picking this up? Comes out today in a couple hours.

Good video detailing the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TJfoXuvB8&list=UUKMRqFNffptUiJyKGvvf6kg

Reviews coming in, so far all over the place, from pc gamers review where the reviewer seems to enjoy the game a lot:
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/risen-3-titan-lords-review/

down to Jim Sterlings scathing review:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...12094-Risen-3-Titan-Lords-Review-Titan-Fallen

Personally I'll be picking it up, I greatly enjoyed Gothic I and II (IMO Gothic 2 was far better than TES: Oblivion at the time) and the first Risen was enjoyable (second one....not so much).

This one seems to be going back to a more Gothic style of rpg even if the combat is a bit wonky (they always have been).

Risen 1 was awesome. 2 didn't even interest me. 3 looks like it's going to be pretty good but I'll wait and see.

Never knew these games existed. Reminds me of gothic.

that's because it's the same developer.

After Gothic 3 they left Jowood (the publisher of Gothic and who owned the IP, which later went under) and they started making Risen in its place.

The first risen was great, had a good gothic vibe to it, the second one went for a more 1700's approach rather then medieval setting and things weren't as good in terms of gameplay.

This one is going back to a more Gothic vibe as well, complete with the faction system to choose from and other things , even characters from Gothic show up in it (after gothic 4 pirahna bytes got the rights back to Gothic so they can use it again in any way they want).

The first risen was great, had a good gothic vibe to it
It was more than a vibe. Felt almost like a remake to me. At least a reboot.

And I'm not complaining. Gothic 1 & 2 are the game with the least favorable "greatness-to-prominence-ratio". Haven't played the international versions, maybe they f*cked up the English voice acting. Or maybe a small German dev with a small German publisher couldn't get noticed.
Who knows.
But if you are into CRPGs and you didn't play Gothic when it was hot*, you missed out!
If you don't want to feel like you missed out, play Risen. It's not as good as Gothic 1 & 2 were atmosphere-wise, but it's a fair approximation.

*don't play it now, video games don't age well. None of the young folks are getting Doom or Half-Life either.

I loved Risen 2 because of the pirate theme. That's the only pirate RPG I've ever played or even heard of. Kicked back with some good rum and had a blast. Good times!

Risen 1 seemed like an Oblivion ripoff to me when I played it. It was fun, but very buggy. Lots of quests that were much too easy to break. I actually never finished the game because I managed to break the main quest by doing one of the objectives out of order, and I would have had to back-track dozens of hours to undo that mistake. Risen 2 was much less buggy as well, no game-breaking bugs to be found (at least for me).

From the videos I've seen of Risen3 it looks like they dumped the pirate theme from 2 and went back to more medieval/fantasy theme, which is a pretty big disappointment for me. Now it'll go back to being like dozens of other RPG's that are already available. Hopefully I'm mistaken about that - the pirate-RPG aspect of R2 is something I'd like to see more of.

So yeah, I'll wait to see more videos of R3, and probably pick it up when it around $15-20 on Steam depending on how it looks.

I loved Risen 2 because of the pirate theme. That's the only pirate RPG I've ever played or even heard of. Kicked back with some good rum and had a blast. Good times!

Risen 1 seemed like an Oblivion ripoff to me when I played it. It was fun, but very buggy. Lots of quests that were much too easy to break. I actually never finished the game because I managed to break the main quest by doing one of the objectives out of order, and I would have had to back-track dozens of hours to undo that mistake. Risen 2 was much less buggy as well, no game-breaking bugs to be found (at least for me).

From the videos I've seen of Risen3 it looks like they dumped the pirate theme from 2 and went back to more medieval/fantasy theme, which is a pretty big disappointment for me. Now it'll go back to being like dozens of other RPG's that are already available. Hopefully I'm mistaken about that - the pirate-RPG aspect of R2 is something I'd like to see more of.

So yeah, I'll wait to see more videos of R3, and probably pick it up when it around $15-20 on Steam depending on how it looks.

They haven't completely thrown out the theme, in fact you even get a ship of your own to sail around (Like AC4) complete with ship battles and other things to do on the open ocean.

Plus there's the voodoo pirate faction which you can join and there's still a lot of influences. Plenty of the clothing/weapons are similar in theme to that era.

However gameplay, themes, settings have went toward a more gothicy vibe in other areas.

Risen 1 was uneven as hell narrative wise but I liked it. Part 2 I liked the theme but for some reason I just lost interest playing it. $40? I'm considering part 3 if it really checks out well.

Reviews coming in, so far all over the place, from pc gamers review where the reviewer seems to enjoy the game a lot:
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/risen-3-titan-lords-review/

down to Jim Sterlings scathing review:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...12094-Risen-3-Titan-Lords-Review-Titan-Fallen

It's like they played a different game but this is typical of what happens with this series. Wide range on reviews and usually "love it or hate it."

Well put about 40 minutes in so far and I'm really enjoying it.

I spent 40 minutes sidetracked basically.

Got to the starting "island" and instead of following the "path" for the quest I just took off exploring like any good open world rpg, you can see how much thought they put into the world depending on if you are rewarded for this or not.

Well in this game you are rewarded, a LOT. I am finding so many 'hidden" things, from treasure chests, to gold, to items and other things all tucked away in nooks and crannies all around this area you could easily miss if you just "stuck to the path."

I even found a rare quest item for a quest I hadn't even done yet (but it still counts, shows up in your quest log and things).

If anyone plays the game I highly suggest before you just run face first into the "path" it sets you on to check both your left and right sides of the starting beach/island, you can swim to the other smaller islands to and you might find some nifty things there.

The combat so far is servicable, you have block, dodging, combo attacks and "charged" attacks (that are slooooooow but stronger). I haven't really built my character any at all but it gets the job done. I mean if you can ignore the terrible combat in the TES games then this shouldn't be a problem for you, it feels at least more "active" with its emphasis on dodging and things.

Also the short bits I've had with dialogue/characters has been mixed, some sound great (IE Patty has some great one liners)
For example:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299593724

and some sound a bit eh, but for this game that's at least a step up from some of the past.

So far the game feels like one of those rpgs where you can just spend countless hours exploring and finding treasures and loot and get sidetracked going off the beaten path, if you enjoy that then you'll probably enjoy this.

Risen 1 and Gothic 4 were very similar. Risen was better, though.

Risen 1 and Gothic 4 were not even remotely similar. Risen was an open-world RPG, while Gothic 4 was a linear action RPG.

The creators of Gothic 4 tried to cache in on the name, but ended up royally screwing it up. You had to "unlock" areas of the map and stronger monsters by completing quests, which is completely antithetical to what made Gothic what it was. Risen much more closely followed the Gothic ideal than even Gothic 4 did.

I am excited for it, and will pick it up when it goes on sale. I just have too many backlogged games right now to bother buying it.

Im pretty shitty at combat so far. Any tips?

dodge dodge dodge, enemies have attack patterns and once you figure it out they aren't too hard.

Also pick up all the plants/fish and other things, they are good for restoring your health (provisions in your inventory), put it into a quickslot for quick health during combat.

Risen 1 and Gothic 4 were not even remotely similar. Risen was an open-world RPG, while Gothic 4 was a linear action RPG.

The creators of Gothic 4 tried to cache in on the name, but ended up royally screwing it up. You had to "unlock" areas of the map and stronger monsters by completing quests, which is completely antithetical to what made Gothic what it was. Risen much more closely followed the Gothic ideal than even Gothic 4 did.
Combat wise they were similar ;)

dodge dodge dodge, enemies have attack patterns and once you figure it out they aren't too hard.

Also pick up all the plants/fish and other things, they are good for restoring your health (provisions in your inventory), put it into a quickslot for quick health during combat.

This is the law of the land in the Risen games right here.

Oh man! This game came out of nowhere for me. I didn't even know it was being made. Definitely going to pick this up. I loved all of the Gothic games and Risen 1. For some reason, Risen 2 just didn't keep me interested.

ohh YES! I loved Gothic series. I never played Risen. I played Risen two for about three hours and uninstalled it. The graphics were just awful and it was really clunky for me....This one looks better. I will definitely be grabbing it once I'm done playing Dark Souls (again) haha

Hmmm I just watched the video...why are the graphics still so...poopy looking? I mean they look like Oblivion graphics....or Dark souls graphics but worse gameplay mechanics. Not trying to be negative here because I loved the Gothic series. I want to like this game...those who have played what are your thoughts?

Fuck I'm so bad at this game.

I haven't played this but I loved Gothic III and Risen 1. Searched this forum to see what you guys thought of this game.

In Gothic III and Risen combat was always a challenge. I had to pay attention all the time -- fight smart, use my shield, circle, strafe. Most importantly being aware of the enemy's strength and avoid exploring areas that hold over powered opponents for my character's level. Combat was one area where Gothic III was pretty clunky, but Risen 1 was a big improvement. I am assuming they kept lessons learned about combat from their previous games so the fighting mechanics in Risen 3 are not a disaster!

Gothic 3 had been my favorite, now I think risen 3 is. The things I enjoy about the game: you are rewarded for searching and you are never penalized for completing tasks early. I like to go around collecting all loot and pickups and killing all enemies. Then when talking to NPCs you find you have often done what they needed.

For learning curve? Its not hard. Bind roll to spacebar and jump to another key, then play it like dark souls. The combat mechanics are vastly easier though. In previous games cheese was your friend. In this one you can parry animals and they also will mostly 1v1 you so you don't get ass raped like the previous ones.

Yes, you have an of hour just adventuring round the island, then when you come across an NPC it's like:

"We have terrible monster problems. You could never - "
"Yeah, they're gone"
"Oh. An evil spirit has taken over -"
"Gone."
"My cousin saw a giant spider by the -"
"Toast."
"The milkmaid has gone miss-"
"She's fine - there she is over there. Anything else?"
"Er... no, not really. Bye."
"NP"

So those of you that have this: Do you agree with the statements made by some that this is basically Risen 2: The glorified expansion pack?

I don't know what that means. It's next in the series. I think it's a lot better than Risen 2, and I think people who like to explore these games at their own pace would say the same. People with different play styles don't seem to like it as much.

No. Risen 2 was a rough game. They took away magic and added guns and voodoo to it. It was ok but not great, seemed a little tedious at times, also somewhat "off". For this game I think they have perfected a lot of what they do. The melee is far superior, it is probably the best of any of the recent gothics. They have taken parts of three maps from risen2 but overall it feels a lot larger than risen2 and a lot more to do. If you like that sort of thing. The different factions also add variety. You have guardians (magic) and demon hunters (melee magic). In terms of what I like in gothic, this game hits all the targets. Risen 1 was ok, Risen 2, not as much.

Back