Risen 2 Dark Waters April 24 multiplatform

Is Risen 2's melee combat fixed? Risen 1's was broken. After the Lizard men start appearing in the island, and you're a melee character, it's extremely difficult to kill them.

Here's what I mean. See Lizard warrior. Draw sword/axe, run towards him, attack. 99% of your attacks will be blocked. I wish I was exaggerating. Literally 99%. The AI is incredi-freaking-bly good at blocking melee. What's hilarious is that punching them without weapons is faster than killing them with uberswords, because they can't block punches. The only way to effectively kill Lizards as a melee character is just use a crossbow and just walk backwards and kill them off one by one. I know a later sword skill lets you charge attacks, but they're much later in the game.

tl;dr melee is useless as hell in Risen 1 because Lizard Warriors block 99% of your attacks. Is it more balanced in Risen 2?

In Risen 1 they are easier to kill once you have their pattern locked. The first 3 or 4 times you run across them, you'll probably get spanked pretty hard though. You should be well leveled before you decide to have a go at them, since luckily nothing is level scaled in that game.

tl;dr melee is useless as hell in Risen 1 because Lizard Warriors block 99% of your attacks. Is it more balanced in Risen 2?

Yes.

I feel like this game is bigger. The world more diverse, the narrative less unbalanced than the first game. Exploring is still richly rewarded. I'm pretty damned happy with this as a Risen fan. I miss my crossbow, though. ;)

Is Risen 2's melee combat fixed? Risen 1's was broken. After the Lizard men start appearing in the island, and you're a melee character, it's extremely difficult to kill them.

Here's what I mean. See Lizard warrior. Draw sword/axe, run towards him, attack. 99% of your attacks will be blocked. I wish I was exaggerating. Literally 99%. The AI is incredi-freaking-bly good at blocking melee. What's hilarious is that punching them without weapons is faster than killing them with uberswords, because they can't block punches. The only way to effectively kill Lizards as a melee character is just use a crossbow and just walk backwards and kill them off one by one. I know a later sword skill lets you charge attacks, but they're much later in the game.

Risens combat used a reverse learning curve. The combat was more difficult at the beginning of the game than at the end. I never once felt the game was cheating me and found no enemies I couldn't kill. As a matter of fact, toward the end of the game I was so good at the dodge mechanics that I was almost never touched by NPC's.

Anyone else have feedback on this title? I know Q-BZ and I were on the same page with Risen 1 (thought it was great) so his endorsement may be enough to push me to get it but I would love to hear other folk's experience. :p

Anyone else have feedback on this title? I know Q-BZ and I were on the same page with Risen 1 (thought it was great) so his endorsement may be enough to push me to get it but I would love to hear other folk's experience. :p

This one's better.

Really. That's all it should take from one Risen fan to another. ;)

I bought Risen in 2010, didnt played it for more than 40 minutes. Thought it was boring as hell.

But then again, I started it again, and had a blast. I finished the game in a few days.

One thing I really hated was the combat difficulty. Those fucking Lizard Warriors.

Anyway, I just bought Risen 2, and the performance is absolute shite. I think I'll wait for a patch.

I have a ton of odd shadow behaviors on PC, also draw distance seems extremely short and everywhere I turn it takes a second before items like crates, vases, tables, etc 'pop' into the picture. It's fairly bad but only breaks immersion. The game is very much playable and hasn't crashed on me once in my 5 or so hours of playing. Running maxed on a AMD 955be w/ GTX570. Different drivers didn't seem to help... hoping for a patch or some .ini tweaks to come out.

Seems much easier than the first Risen, not everything is improved though and some things take too much time to wait for the animation(digging up treasure, mining, etc..). Having fun though

This game was beyond terrible -
Risen 1 = awesome
Risen 2 = wait, what just happened?

Hold off on the fixes I posted! There is a patch today! THEY ADDED DODGE!!

Features
- Players can now block most attacks by monsters
- Player has a "dodge" move in the fight - double press the arrow keys while holding the right mouse button / goose-mode Y + stick right / left / back to controller

Balance / Tweaks
- Are created only a maximum of ten autosaves
- Improvement in the attack behavior of the monster AI
- Improvement in attack behavior when characters were attacked from behind
- Improvement in the representation of vegetation
- Improving the visibility of objects
- Improving the representation of the terrain

- Guns sabotage in Puerto Isabella is now much simpler
- Dealer of the Sword Coast now sells rum
- Exploit removed while shooting mini-game
- Increases hit points of Mara
- Steelbeard's Hat can no longer be sold

Bug fixes
- Trees flicker in the distance is no longer on NVidia cards
- Solve problems with video cards in SLI
- Fixed crash when using a 7.1 sound system
- Fixed rare crashes occurring when climbing
- Fixed bug with "return to the ship" option
- Fixed an error when it rains indoors
- Crew members can no longer be killed by monsters
- Players will now receive the item-Fools juice after brewing
- Fixed an error in the learning of specific skills
- Various exploits removed

Wow, that was big time needed. I've been happy with the game but that's great news there. Dodge was something I noticed missing right away.

Features
- Players can now block most attacks by monsters
- Player has a "dodge" move in the fight - double press the arrow keys while holding the right mouse button / goose-mode Y + stick right / left / back to controller

Wait... Why wasn't dodge in the game before? Wasn't dodge a big part of Risen 1 gameplay? IIRC it was direction + spacebar to dodge.

"double press the arrow keys while holding the right mouse button" sounds awful. I can't stand when they have you hold down a mouse button and it changes all your shit. I have lots of buttons on my keyboard. Let me use them please lol

Batman AC and Assasin's Creed had these weird control set ups on PC iirc.

I've no time to play it right now, but I hope to get a crack at it by the end of the month. Hopefully they can continue to balance things and integrate that Treasure Island DLC by the time I get to it ;)

I didn't have any performance issues aside from not being able to run it at 1920x1080. I had to drop down to 1600 since it didn't have that res supported. I played it for about four hours but finally threw in the towel when I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get on Steelbeard's ship. I gave up on lockpicking the chest after I spent all the money to get the lockpick and then realized I still couldn't open it! Lol, some people may enjoy that type of masochism but not me! It was way too much talking and too little action.

Nvidia or the devs seriously need to do something about performance... Shadows have huge impact on performance.

Already tried uninstalling 3D vision, etc

Sorry for the necro, but just picked this game up last week on an Amazon sale for less than $10. Enjoyed the hell out of Risen 1 and am enjoying Risen 2 as well. Did any of you actually beat this game? Looks like this thread just kinda died.

Sorry for the necro, but just picked this game up last week on an Amazon sale for less than $10. Enjoyed the hell out of Risen 1 and am enjoying Risen 2 as well. Did any of you actually beat this game? Looks like this thread just kinda died.

Speaking for myself: For whatever reason that's because my interested kinda died when I was playing it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood...something wasn't hitting it right... I'll have to fire it up pretty soon and see what's going on.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

Back