Rise of the Tomb Raider Game Breaking Bug

wrangler

2[H]4U
So.
I am at the part of the game where you have to use Greek Fire to get a statue to fall to make a bridge.

I have completed the puzzle. I have watched YouTube. I know I have done it correctly.

The statue will not fall to make the bridge. The game is over at the 50% mark.

There is no way to fix this bug without basically replaying the game. IF you have relied on the games autosave feature which I mostly have. (I have a save at the 27% mark) I would literally have to play 1/4 of the game again in order to see if the bug would affect me again with no guarantee that it wouldn't.

How is this possible?
How can my money be gone with no recourse and this is allowed to happen?

Do any of the barrels work or just the last one?

Hmmm
I didn't notice a way to restart just the level. That would be awesome.
I don't have hard save that doesn't cost me a quarter of the game. My last campfire is screwed because I went to the nearest one thinking maybe I needed an upgrade or something.

I'll look later when I get home and see if there is an option to restart the level.

I destroyed the front barrel then solved how to get the side barrels down and destroyed them next to the statue. The cut scene starts to play and then stops. Laura just keeps saying she needs another barrel. But I'd done all the barrels. I've watched the level on YouTube.

Have you tried re-doing all the barrels? The game should let you continue pulling the barrels down.

If that doesn't work, fast travel somewhere else and come back and try it all again.

yeah maybe that will work too. I cant remember how I restarted the area, that might have been it.

thanks for all of the suggestions.
fast travel is not available at this location.
there is no way to restart the level.

basically I am fucked.

I uninstalled. will play again when the memory fades. my ocd will NOT let me replay all that shit again. you have to understand how I play a game of this type. my 25% is most peoples 99%. I scour every square inch and I just cant do it again right now.

I think I will head to horizon zero dawn, ive been wanting an excuse to use the ps4 pro, and, I will play this again after another patch or two and like I said... when the memory fades and it can all be kind of new again. this fucjking sucks so fucking bad...

Did you try pulling the barrels down all over?

I can see that you're completion was rather high for the portion in the story you were in so that's not lost on me.

It's hard for me to think that a game can have a show stopping bug like this given that I've played through this game 3 times now and never once had an issue.

Did you try killing yourself in the game to "start again" in that area? Maybe even straight up reinstalling it at this point will fix your issue if you had it through steam with cloud saves enabled.

Bummer you let it get to you that badly, it really is a good game. I have to believe it was fixable.

Edit: nvm, I looked it up and it's a known bug that has affected a number of people since even the initial Xbox One release. Sorry to hear it happened to you man.

Last edited:
SO...

I broke down and did the uninstall/reinstall suggestion and when I did, a save showed up that had me at 39%. Considering that I was curious about how the new Nvidia driver would affect performance, I decided to bite the bullet and replay back to the area I was having trouble in before.

First, there is no way around this bug. None. Zippo. When I went back in this time, I shot the front barrel first, then did the right side and then the left side and this time had no trouble. For what it is worth, I did the opposite the time it bugged.

Second, the new driver does increase performance dramatically. Not just for DX12 but DX11 got a nice boost as well. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between DX11 with VXAO and DX12 visually and performance seemed identical.

*************SPOILER ALERT******************

Thirdly, there is a game breaking bug at the end of the game with DX12. At the point when Anna is trying to leave with the Devine Source and the soldier comes in to warn her that they are surrounded, Jacob comes behind the soldier and runs him through. Instacrash every time under DX12 with an error message pointing to DirectX. DX11 lets the game complete no problem.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Back