• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Ripping from rock band?

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
16,314
ok, for the love of god, the sound quality on rock band tracks is fairly good(or so I think)


is there any way to rip your songs so you can use them on pc? :/
 
Most probably not. First of all, console disks come protected just like DVDs and CDs so you can't take stuff out of it. And even if you were able to copy it, games come encoded in weird formats, and most times you can't even select the song since it's embedded within a larger more complex file.

My only idea now is to connect a analog cable from your console to your Line Input in your Pc sound card, and record it that way. You are probably gonna need an adapter for it, if you don't have it already. At that point you already messed with the quality and purchased a adapter. I say just buy the songs online by Amazon music store or something, it's not worth the trouble.
 
Like Odin75 mentioned, you can connect the left/right (white/red) rca's from your 360 to your PC's line-in jack using a cable like this (2 rca female to 3.5mm cable). If you need it to be a little longer, buy a 3.5mm extension cable or instead, get a 2 rca male to 3.5mm cable & 2 rca couplers to connect it to your 360's left/right audio rca's.

Then use an Audio Editing program (most people recommend the free program Audacity but I like WavePad) to record from your Line-In. Though, you'll have to play each song all the way through while recording them, then save them individually, which is slightly time consuming.

I did this several years ago to record every song on each radio station on Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City when they were first released on the Xbox and it worked very well.

If you do go this time-consuming route, maybe try to play the song in practice mode or something where you don't have to play so there won't be any noises except for the song (no blings and bleeps from missing notes or going into solo mode, etc.)
 
Oh, absolutely. If he wants to do this for entire game collections, and a lot more games that just those songs, then sure make the investment.
Also came to my mind, that if you happen to have a modern sound card, like an X-Fi or Xonar, you might be able to use the digital input perhaps?
 
Oh, absolutely. If he wants to do this for entire game collections, and a lot more games that just those songs, then sure make the investment.
Also came to my mind, that if you happen to have a modern sound card, like an X-Fi or Xonar, you might be able to use the digital input perhaps?

yup, I have an XFI Prelude, I'd rather not use the DACs on the XBOX 360, currently it's hooked up via HDMI to my AVR-789

I think I'm going to do the optical input into the Prelude and record
 
yup, I have an XFI Prelude, I'd rather not use the DACs on the XBOX 360, currently it's hooked up via HDMI to my AVR-789

I think I'm going to do the optical input into the Prelude and record

Awesome, do it. Post a sample recording if you can :)
 
Are you doing this to create backing tracks or just for the music?

Need moar backing tracks, need the entire Moving Pictures album. :(
 
Pretty sure all the rockband tracks are already ripped onto the internetz

Yep, I thank GH3 every day for their release of Death Magnetic without the clipping. Within a week of release, people discovered that the GH3 mix was 100x better, and the rip was available almost instantly. I'm sure people won't hesitate to make all tracks available.

Without that rip, I would have been forced to toss-out an otherwise excellent album.

Hmm, now I'm thinking...have they got rips of Queens of the Stone Age? I can't listen to the albums I own for more than 15 minutes, or my head explodes.
 
Back
Top