Ripping DVD library to HD

SAgosto

Limp Gawd
I finally finished my HTPC. I am in the process of ripping my DVD library back to my HD for digital storage.

95% of my library is DVDShrinked/burned SD DVDs. I am curious if I should continue to use DVDShrink (to save HD space). Is their quality loss if I convert to ISO to allow me to have a single have for mounting?

Would DVDFab HD Decrypter be my best bet for a 1:1 rip? Double the size but not sure if it most people can actually notice the quality different without the compression?

Also, same questions for Blu-Ray?

I dont know about Blu Ray but for the dvds I would suggest doing a few movies as a full sized ISO and then a compressed ISO to see if you notice a difference. Also, if you dont watch the extra content you could always re-author them in dvdshrink with just the main movie to cut down on HD space.

I don't think there will be quality loss if using DVDShrink because it only compresses if the DVD data is larger than what will fit on the DVD.

I dont know about Blu Ray but for the dvds I would suggest doing a few movies as a full sized ISO and then a compressed ISO to see if you notice a difference. Also, if you dont watch the extra content you could always re-author them in dvdshrink with just the main movie to cut down on HD space.

Is converting the ripped audio/video directories to ISO any quality loss? Yea, I could do that but I am terrible when it comes to judging. I don't want the extra content but isn't the only way to remove that by DVDShrink? Is there a way to decode using DVDSHrink and NOT compress anything?

I don't think there will be quality loss if using DVDShrink because it only compresses if the DVD data is larger than what will fit on the DVD.

By default, mine tries to get under 4.7GB?

ISO is just a straight copy of the dvd. You can remove them in DVDShrink and rip them into an ISO with no converting needed.

You can also change the default in dvdshrink so it will rip it as if you were going to burn to DVD9 so there will be no compression at all.

ISO is just a straight copy of the dvd. You can remove them in DVDShrink and rip them into an ISO with no converting needed.

You can also change the default in dvdshrink so it will rip it as if you were going to burn to DVD9 so there will be no compression at all.

I am talking about DVD5 -> ISO about quality loss. It would make 1 file instead of multiple Video/Audio folders. I could just mount that.

Right. If you're making a ISO of a single-layer dvd then there will be no compression putting it in an ISO.

Right. If you're making a ISO of a single-layer dvd then there will be no compression putting it in an ISO.

Explain this again. It will go back to DVD9 if I convert to ISO (increasing the file size too)?

Ok. Most DVD today come on dual-layer disks (DVD9) and some come on single-layer disks(DVD5). If you do a 1:1 rip then the DVD9 will come out to an ISO at around 8.5gb and a DVD5 at 1:1 ratio will come out to about 4.7gb. ISOs don't do any compression unless you have DVDShrink set to rip to a DVD5. If you want to do a strait rip of a DVD with absolutely no compression then go into DVDShrink's settings and change target dvd size to DVD9 and you can rip it to directories or iso without any compression.

Ok. Most DVD today come on dual-layer disks (DVD9) and some come on single-layer disks(DVD5). If you do a 1:1 rip then the DVD9 will come out to an ISO at around 8.5gb and a DVD5 at 1:1 ratio will come out to about 4.7gb. ISOs don't do any compression unless you have DVDShrink set to rip to a DVD5. If you want to do a strait rip of a DVD with absolutely no compression then go into DVDShrink's settings and change target dvd size to DVD9 and you can rip it to directories or iso without any compression.

Totally understand that. My question is that converting either the DVD5 or DVD9 (AUDIO_TS/VIDEO_TS) to ISO would be a quality loss? It would be nice to have a single file to mount. However, I am still a newb when it comes to Vista MC so I am not sure what is applicable.

For Blu-Ray, I realize no encoding is really doable for the typical end user so I will deal with 1:1 until an application for a normal end user becomes available.

Also, it would be nice when a full featured DVDFab HD is available that allows me to do features like custom. DVDFab Platnium doesn't seem to support Blu-Ray. :(

just use dvdfab and rip the entire dvd without any compression for best results.

just use dvdfab and rip the entire dvd without any compression for best results.

Space is a limitation. I am certain my Blu-Ray rips are going to kill my 1TB fast!

Since I cannot re-encode Blu-Ray nor is there a way to compress for the average end-user, I am going to Blu-Ray rip the better movies that I like and then rip standard movies for the others. However, if most cannot tell difference between DVD5 compressed and DVD8, I'll go with the storage savings.

What size screen will these be played back on? That will make a big difference on whether you will notice the loss of quality by compressing to DVD5 sizes. On my 47" LCD (and much much worse on my 104" projector screen) the loss in quality is very noticable. On smaller screens the quality loss would be much less noticable.

Space is a limitation. I am certain my Blu-Ray rips are going to kill my 1TB fast!

Since I cannot re-encode Blu-Ray nor is there a way to compress for the average end-user, I am going to Blu-Ray rip the better movies that I like and then rip standard movies for the others. However, if most cannot tell difference between DVD5 compressed and DVD8, I'll go with the storage savings.

Who says that you cannot compress Blue-ray ?

What size screen will these be played back on? That will make a big difference on whether you will notice the loss of quality by compressing to DVD5 sizes. On my 47" LCD (and much much worse on my 104" projector screen) the loss in quality is very noticable. On smaller screens the quality loss would be much less noticable.

Toshiba 52" DLP 1080i. I currently use Denon 1080i upconvert and it looks good. Again, not sure what I am missing by watching it via DVD9 and not DVD5.

Who says that you cannot compress Blue-ray ?

I was under the impression that the only way is to re-encode using various procedures that a common end user could not do?

I was very skeptical to go HTPC to store digitally due to the size of Blu-Ray rips.

DVD shrink allows you to adjust the rate of compression. There is a drop down that says automatic, custom, no compression (what I use) and replace with still images. You can also uncheck the boxes next to the audio streams that you dont want. I uncheck all the foreign language tracks and the directors commentary (not a fan usually).

As far as ISO, are you using the ISO creation tool in DVDshrink? DVD shrink will also create a standard 4.3gb or whatever iso if you set it to ISO mode without adjusting the compression. It just creates an ISO of whatever setting you have applied. in other words, it wont do a 1:1 iso unless you change the compression anyway, so why do the ISO? just adjust the compression and rip. If you really want to save space, click the re-author and leave out all the menus. all of my kids movies are main title only. you click it, it starts the movie. no menus, no previews, etc...

Of course if you are using some other tool to create the ISO, you will get the 1:1 you are looking for.

DVD shrink allows you to adjust the rate of compression. There is a drop down that says automatic, custom, no compression (what I use) and replace with still images. You can also uncheck the boxes next to the audio streams that you dont want. I uncheck all the foreign language tracks and the directors commentary (not a fan usually).

I do all of that. I don't replace with still images. Make a difference?

As far as ISO, are you using the ISO creation tool in DVDshrink? DVD shrink will also create a standard 4.3gb or whatever iso if you set it to ISO mode without adjusting the compression. It just creates an ISO of whatever setting you have applied. in other words, it wont do a 1:1 iso unless you change the compression anyway, so why do the ISO? just adjust the compression and rip. If you really want to save space, click the re-author and leave out all the menus. all of my kids movies are main title only. you click it, it starts the movie. no menus, no previews, etc...

Of course if you are using some other tool to create the ISO, you will get the 1:1 you are looking for.

Currently, I am ripping it into the two folders. I didn't want to convert to ISO (either using DVDShrink) or after the fact as I did not know if it woulf affect quality. I thought an ISO would be better to consolidate the two folders to a single mountable file. Again, a MCE newb so maybe that is not desired.

this was a painfull topic to read. you need to just play with dvdshrink and see what you can come up with and stop asking so many questions. as it sbeen answered

a 1:1 is a ONE TO ONE
if it compressed/changed video/ any loss then it would NOT be a 1:1

seriously man.. my brain hurts from reading over this and watching the same answers appear 12 times.

this was a painfull topic to read. you need to just play with dvdshrink and see what you can come up with and stop asking so many questions. as it sbeen answered

a 1:1 is a ONE TO ONE
if it compressed/changed video/ any loss then it would NOT be a 1:1

seriously man.. my brain hurts from reading over this and watching the same answers appear 12 times.

It's a open forum, if you dislike the question, don't bother posting. I won't lose any sleep.

Your contribution did not help at all. It's not even relevant.

your original question isn't one we can actually answer. Some much is subjective. can you tell a difference between the 1:1 and the compressed. As for consolidating the movies to one file, I don't use MCE, I don't know how the organizing works, but in sage, it detects the dvd rip and it just shows me one thumbnail and I use that to launch the movie. the internal players recognizes the dvd structure. So to the end user experience, there aren't multiple files.

your original question isn't one we can actually answer. Some much is subjective. can you tell a difference between the 1:1 and the compressed.

Understood. That's why I asked to find out a consensus. Similiar to those that wonder if standard DVD vs upconvert back in the day. :)

there are tons of variables that you didnt mention. what size is your TV, how far from it do you sit, what is the resolution are 3 of the first that make a difference. Say you have a 50" 1080p set that you sit 6 feet from, then you will see a difference. a 42" 720p set that y ou sit 8 feet from, probably not. also, just try it and see. doesnt hurt.

there are tons of variables that you didnt mention. what size is your TV, how far from it do you sit, what is the resolution are 3 of the first that make a difference. Say you have a 50" 1080p set that you sit 6 feet from, then you will see a difference. a 42" 720p set that y ou sit 8 feet from, probably not. also, just try it and see. doesnt hurt.

TV was discussed -> http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032098594&postcount=15

About 10-12 ft away.

1280 x 720 res

1080i

missed that one, sorry. sounds like you are in the same boat as me. here is what I do with my DVD shrink to keep space /quality ratio good. I use the re-author option, select the main title, remove all unneeded audio tracks, and set custom compression to 80%. looks great and reduces the space needed from about 7-8gb to 2.5-3.5gb

missed that one, sorry. sounds like you are in the same boat as me. here is what I do with my DVD shrink to keep space /quality ratio good. I use the re-author option, select the main title, remove all unneeded audio tracks, and set custom compression to 80%. looks great and reduces the space needed from about 7-8gb to 2.5-3.5gb

I never used ReAuthor but removed audio/subcaptions and I think I left a lot unneeded data. I won't make that mistake again. I'm going to try that route. I think my Blu-Ray is going to be a back breaker as there's really no easy way of doing this except re-encoding. Hopefully someone finds a way and I can do this down the road. My 2TB will fill up fast. :(

Thanks for your help.

I've got a 1TB storage drive and use AnyDVD to rip my collection to [h]ard drive. Without using any compression I can store over 100 regular DVD's. I then use DVD Library manager to import boxart and movie information into Vista MCE. It works really nice.

I've got a 1TB storage drive and use AnyDVD to rip my collection to [h]ard drive. Without using any compression I can store over 100 regular DVD's. I then use DVD Library manager to import boxart and movie information into Vista MCE. It works really nice.

2TB here with 340DVD's

1. Install DVDDecrypter or DVDShrink
2. Install AnyDVD
3. Use DVDDecrypter or DVDShrink; click Rip.
:D

any guides to ripping dvds...?

there was another thread for this exact topic, if you want to read through that one as well.

what i found to be the best is anydvd and dvdfab i rip 1:1 like most no compression and use VMC to watch from my HTPC.

95% of my library is DVDShrinked/burned SD DVDs. I am curious if I should continue to use DVDShrink (to save HD space). Is their quality loss if I convert to ISO to allow me to have a single have for mounting?

Would DVDFab HD Decrypter be my best bet for a 1:1 rip? Double the size but not sure if it most people can actually notice the quality different without the compression?

Also, same questions for Blu-Ray?

If your collection is already DVDShrinked/burned, do you still have the original 8-9GB full DVD's? If not, you don't really have a choice. You cannot get a 1:1 rip from a 4.7gb DVDshrinked collection since it's already compressed a good amount using relatively outdated compression schemes. If you have the original full size DVD's you can create 1:1 rips with no compression - whether you store it as an ISO or normal file format doesn't matter. If you want to save space, you would use a more updated codec such as h.264 or Xvid.

If your collection is already DVDShrinked/burned, do you still have the original 8-9GB full DVD's? If not, you don't really have a choice. You cannot get a 1:1 rip from a 4.7gb DVDshrinked collection since it's already compressed a good amount using relatively outdated compression schemes. If you have the original full size DVD's you can create 1:1 rips with no compression - whether you store it as an ISO or normal file format doesn't matter. If you want to save space, you would use a more updated codec such as h.264 or Xvid.

I am going to go with Reauthor and remove everything but the title and leave that 1:1. I think that's a fair compromise. I don't use that other crap anyhow.

It doesn't matter at this point. My new HTPC is not anywhere near stable with Vista X86 Ultimate. I might have to rebuild the entire machine with XP MCE. My Vista X64 Business w/o SP1 is rock solid too. Go figure.

I am going to go with Reauthor and remove everything but the title and leave that 1:1. I think that's a fair compromise. I don't use that other crap anyhow.

It doesn't matter at this point. My new HTPC is not anywhere near stable with Vista X86 Ultimate. I might have to rebuild the entire machine with XP MCE. My Vista X64 Business w/o SP1 is rock solid too. Go figure.

If you are not stable in Vista Ultimate you are doing something wrong. Double check over at doom;)

If you are not stable in Vista Ultimate you are doing something wrong. Double check over at doom;)

Very simple HTPC without 3 sets of drivers for the board, VC, and Wireless PCI card. Not really sure what can go wrong unless it's related to the hardware itself and not the drivers.

Perhaps I am the only person not stable in Vista? :)

Anyhow, I got another Ultimate DISC I will try but with X64. I've had better luck with that.

bringing this back cause I'm gonna finally try it tomorrow when i get home.

Back