RIP Windows Media Center

but you can still get this same kind of behavior with MythTV/NextPVR/Media Portal/etc. backend and a Raspberry Pi-based XBMC/Kodi front-end.

I actually have on of my Raspberry Pi's plugged into the USB port on my TV as a power source so there's not even a need for an extra power plug.

No you can't. None of those options have the ability to decode copy protected content. Only Windows Media Center does currently.

No you can't. None of those options have the ability to decode copy protected content. Only Windows Media Center does currently.

Then how come you can download several different linux images that decode all protected HD content I have run into (and I'm a subscriber in 4 different paid networks) in combination with oscam, cccam etc?

Silicondust / HDHomeRun Prime. If everything goes well they'll have their own solution to recording and playing protected content out late this year.

Then how come you can download several different linux images that decode all protected HD content I have run into (and I'm a subscriber in 4 different paid networks) in combination with oscam, cccam etc?

I rather doubt you're talking about the same protected content. Currently the only way to record channels marked Copy Once is win media center. It's required to be encrypted on the way to the HDD. (hence the PlayReady requirement)

Silicondust / HDHomeRun Prime. If everything goes well they'll have their own solution to recording and playing protected content out late this year.

I rather doubt you're talking about the same protected content. Currently the only way to record channels marked Copy Once is win media center. It's required to be encrypted on the way to the HDD. (hence the PlayReady requirement)

Aa it's some proprietary MS DRM lol. In that case I wouldn't even care if it doesn't run.

Aa it's some proprietary MS DRM lol. In that case I wouldn't even care if it doesn't run.

Can yon point to something on specific on Linux that supports recording and playback of encrypted channels using CableCard and tuning adapters? This has nothing to do with propriety Microsoft tech but support for cable DRM.

As pointed out, this is not some proprietary MS DRM. This is a cable industry required encryption chain. It takes licenses, certifications, etc... basically a giant fucking headache to get certified. On the PC side only Microsoft has gone through the process for Windows Media Center. It is the only approved chain and therefore the only thing that can be used for Copy protected CableCARD content.

SiliconDust is attempting to make a solution. However this will only support their hardware, meanwhile Windows Media Center works with any CableCARD tuner. It is also, at this point, vaporware.

As pointed out, this is not some proprietary MS DRM. This is a cable industry required encryption chain. It takes licenses, certifications, etc... basically a giant fucking headache to get certified. On the PC side only Microsoft has gone through the process for Windows Media Center. It is the only approved chain and therefore the only thing that can be used for Copy protected CableCARD content.

SiliconDust is attempting to make a solution. However this will only support their hardware, meanwhile Windows Media Center works with any CableCARD tuner. It is also, at this point, vaporware.

Yeah, right now MythTV can speak to a HDHomerun Prime but it's a bit of a finiky thing to get working and only works on content marked Copy Freely. (which for some cable companies is almost everything, for others it's almost nothing)
Same restrictions apply to MythTV and any other card that works on linux. (I think the InfinitTV does?)

Back