RIP MCP 655

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
Think it lasted about 3 years. Died all of the sudden wasn't sure why my system wouldn't boot, system was unstable during windows 8 updates and I blamed MS at first, Lol. I thought my mb died. After some trouble shooting figured out my Swiftech MCP 655 siezed up and died. Had about 13 Megaohms on it.... Dead.

Last edited:
Think it lasted about 3 years. Died all of the sudden wasn't sure why my system wouldn't boot, system was unstable during windows 8 updates and I blamed MS at first, Lol. I thought my mb died. After some trouble shooting figured out my Swiftech MCP 655 siezed up and died. Had about 2 Megaohms on it.... Dead.

Damn, i don't think i've ever heard of one dieing as of late. That sucks man. Mine has been going strong for about 8 years now.

My D5 has been going for a number of years as well. Sounds like you got bad sample, but hey they can't all be equal. So when it died the heat didn't cause any leaks? I always wondered what the effect of the pump dying would be.

No leaks. The impeller siezed,up. hard to even spin with my hands. Didn't have speed control, ran at max speed all its life.

All pumps die eventually. A 3 year lifespan is pretty normal, especially if you use the computer a lot. D5 lifespans are rated at roughly 5 years.

I run mine at max anyways :)

Ditto...My motto is the moar flow the better!!:cool:

All pumps die eventually. A 3 year lifespan is pretty normal, especially if you use the computer a lot. D5 lifespans are rated at roughly 5 years.

3 years isn't really long for a D5 at all..Most will last wel over the 5+ year mark, as the second part of your post indicates:confused:..

I am firm believer that running the system 24/7 vs starting/stopping the pump with each boot will make it last longer, but that is just me.;)

Ditto...My motto is the moar flow the better!!:cool:

3 years isn't really long for a D5 at all..Most will last wel over the 5+ year mark, as the second part of your post indicates:confused:..

I am firm believer that running the system 24/7 vs starting/stopping the pump with each boot will make it last longer, but that is just me.;)

I was more of a start and stop user. The high ohms leads me to believe mine died of electrical failure possibly from turning on and off so much. I am going to take it apart and salvage whatever i can and order replacement parts for what ever failed.

provided conditions i think continual usage would have prolonged pump life as well.

i still love water cooling and hope not to discourage people from trying water cooling out.

Id go with the higher start stop being the cause, or just shit luck

for reference: MTBF is 50k hrs, which is ~5.7 Years, FWIW ;)

Mine died recently too, bought about 2 years ago but only had about 11 months of mileage

No leaks. The impeller siezed,up. hard to even spin with my hands. Didn't have speed control, ran at max speed all its life.

How would it "seize up" when it's just a magnet holding it in place? Did you pull the impeller off to see if anything was lodged underneath it?

My D5 has been going for a number of years as well. Sounds like you got bad sample, but hey they can't all be equal. So when it died the heat didn't cause any leaks? I always wondered what the effect of the pump dying would be.

if you don't have any temp failsafes set in the bios, expect flexible tubing to rupture

If the pump failed, wouldn't there be much less water pressure (only that due to gravity)?

The scary thing is that the working temperature of vinyl tubing is < thermal shutoff temperatures of CPUs/GPUs.

It's interesting that in the two cases of burst tubing, the rupture is right after the barb coming off of a block.

How would it "seize up" when it's just a magnet holding it in place? Did you pull the impeller off to see if anything was lodged underneath it?

Good question. I removed the magnetic float impeller and its the shaft that is siezed. Everything looks clean other than the shaft is jammed and resistance on windings is at 13+ Mega ohms which seems extremelyl high, I think the bearings are bad.

I've never seen one go bad before. I guess with all parts, they all go sometime.

I usually look to replace my D5 pump about once every 2-3 years. I'm going to take a look tonight at my shutdown temps and set them up lower so as to not run the risk of the hoses bursting.

This is why I run two MCP355 :)

I've had them going for around four years now, and I got them second-hand - I believe each had several years of use before I got them. Only thing I don't like is that they have a little whine to them, it's the only noise the system has.

I've had a mcp355 melt and nothing major happened to my computer. The thermal sensors took about 10min to shut down the computer. I had to boot my computer with no pump to order the new pump and had no issues either.

And there is no fricking way that guys tubing burst like that due to a pump failure. If the pump failed, that would be the last spot the tubing would melt. It would either be off the gpu or the cpu blocks where all the heat would be coming from.

I was just going to ask what would happen in the event of pump failure. Sorry for your bad luck OP, but thanks for posting.

Damn, i don't think i've ever heard of one dieing as of late. That sucks man. Mine has been going strong for about 8 years now.

7 years 24/7 on my mcp655 right now, still going strong and as quiet as day one.
have had my loop apart 3 times since initial installation, cleaned all the reachable parts
on the pump each time with q-tip and ipa.

amazing pump and will buy another when it eventually dies.

Back