• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RIP Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 26, 2001
Messages
2,659
The right satellite speaker channel no longer works, a lot of testing and trial/error reveals it to be something inside the subwoofer cabinet. Honestly, this was its way of telling me it's time to move on. Worked great, though.

For anyone looking for a 2.1 setup I would recommend no other. I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade as I have a leftover Pioneer VSX-819H-K Receiver and Mirage OMNI S8 subwoofer -- I may use the satellites depending on their resistance.

For those who have/had the Promedia 2.1 or 5.1 assuming the satellites are the same, do you know what the resistance was on the satellites?
 
My Promedia 2.1 served faithfully for nearly 5 years before its demise. Long live the Promedia 2.1!!!
 
I am letting my g/f use one of these. It works pretty well still. Sadly I think the key is not to really crank it too much. That lets it live longer. People who used it for parties and such in their dorm room discovered this.
 
Awesome speakers!

For those who have/had the Promedia 2.1 or 5.1 assuming the satellites are the same, do you know what the resistance was on the satellites?

ProMedia User Manual

According to the user manual, it appears they have a minimum 4 ohm load. I think you would be out of luck, unless your receiver can handle a 4 ohm load.
 
I am letting my g/f use one of these. It works pretty well still. Sadly I think the key is not to really crank it too much. That lets it live longer. People who used it for parties and such in their dorm room discovered this.

Also, don't leave them on when not using them. The majority of failures seem to stem from heat/temperature issues. The amp does get pretty warm so I make sure to try to remember to turn them off when I'll be away from my PC for a while. Sucks that the power switch is on the sub (the back, no less)! It's kind of a PITA to turn them on and off, but there's no reason why they should be sitting there generating heat when I'm asleep or at work for 8 hours.

Too bad they don't automatically power themselves off, a la my A5s. I admit forgetting to turn them off a couple of times. :eek:
 
Also, don't leave them on when not using them. The majority of failures seem to stem from heat/temperature issues. The amp does get pretty warm so I make sure to try to remember to turn them off when I'll be away from my PC for a while. Sucks that the power switch is on the sub (the back, no less)! It's kind of a PITA to turn them on and off, but there's no reason why they should be sitting there generating heat when I'm asleep or at work for 8 hours.

Too bad they don't automatically power themselves off, a la my A5s. I admit forgetting to turn them off a couple of times. :eek:

Yeah I didn't always turn them off. But I usually did, and I was incredibly careful not to stress them out on a regular basis. They served me for a good 5 years though.
 
great speakers

I have two pairs sitting in my closet lol


sorry about your loss:(
 
I think my set is also on its way out. I never bothered turning them off since it was a pain to get to the switch, but now I keep having issues where the sound shifts from both speakers to just the left. If I turn the volume down and back up, I usually get a quick crackle and then sound is back in both.

I don't know what I am going to get to replace them. I am limited on space so I don't know if I have room to use a receiver and speakers.
 
Why are they in the closet? :eek:


well I had a pair and they stopped working, so I bought a second pair thinking the amp was dead

turns out it was just the cable needed to be replaced on the control pod


so after repairing it I had two sets..

then I upgraded to a passive speaker setup with receiver and they've been out of action ever since lol

once I get my own place I am going to set a pair up in the kitchen and the bathoom :)
 
I'm listening to my Promedia 2.1's at the moment. Not sure if it really gets better than this for 2.1's.
 
On one of my 2.1 sets, I bent the male end "s-video" looking part coming from the satellites to the sub.

Now, it only likes to play through one speaker unless it is wiggled.

Is there an easy fix for this?

I was thinking I could cut off the end and replace the male part, but not sure.
 
My 2.1s are still working. had em since 2003. Except whenever i change the volume they crackle.
 
you can bring it to one of those corner audio repair shops, usually can repair simple things for 20 bucks, if you're ready to move on sell them and use the money towards your next purchase.

I have the same system for about 2 years now, I cannot turn them up more than about 1/4th volume and the sub woofer is always off because as soon as it's on the neighbors knock on the wall and all hell breaks loose. For "computer speakers" they really push the envelope.
 
I am listening to mine as well. I have owned them since 2003 when I bought them with an HP computer. Mine still work well, but if I move the connecting wire on the back of the satillites the stop working until they are wiggled to a proper spot. This has been the case for about 4 years now, however. I really enjoy them when I use my PC. I don't know why there are so many haters for them. I really began to like the Klipsch brand after using them for so long.

darkmatter08
 
Back
Top