Rip Bluray

Hey everyone,

Got some new Blurays for my son this xmas, and im gonna start ripping them to his USB HD, to plug into his TV. My question is, I got anyDVD HD, and also have handbrake (as I asked before and was told that is what I need). Google isnt helping me much, it seems to be showing a bunch of software that can do it. Im looking for a guide, to rip from BR, and DVD, to HDD. Id like to just do the movie (from 20th C. Fox etc to credits), no menues, no subs nada. How do I go about this? I fired up anyDVD, and it doesnt give much for options that I see, besides region, etc

Thanks

AnyDVD is all you need to rip both BD and DVD to disk. Just right click on the AnyDVD task tray icon and select "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk". You will need some type of player, I have TotalMedia Theater but you can use lots of others. Not sure about stripping out the menus, you just get a bunch of MTS files when you rip using AnyDVD so it's possible but I think that does require some manual effort, never really bothered since it's so simple using the AnyDVD and TotalMedia Theater for playback.

Im using my sons built in Movie player in the TV. It accepts DivX, H264, and Mpeg4, they will be transfered to a seagate 1TB external hard drive, till I can find a samsung wifi USB stick for the TV, then it should play right off my 3TB Network drive.

Last edited:
AnyDVD is all you need to rip both BD and DVD to disk. Just right click on the AnyDVD task tray icon and select "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk". You will need some type of player, I have TotalMedia Theater but you can use lots of others. Not sure about stripping out the menus, you just get a bunch of MTS files when you rip using AnyDVD so it's possible but I think that does require some manual effort, never really bothered since it's so simple using the AnyDVD and TotalMedia Theater for playback.

I dont recommend using the ripper. It restructures the BluRay which can cause problems. easier to just copy and paste. With anydvd running.

I dont recommend using the ripper. It restructures the BluRay which can cause problems. easier to just copy and paste. With anydvd running.

As I said I always used TotalMedia Theater for playback of my rips out of AnyDVD and have never had a problem but I have know doubt that not all players would work with that method.

As long as it spits out MPEG4, DviX, or H264. The TV should play it. I have sent back quiet a few discs to Disney over the last few years, and this is just easier. No waiting to get through previews, copy warning etc. Take the remote, hit media play, it loads the HDD, and pick a movie. Plays till the end, or you can make a play list.

Look in the fine print of the specs of what formats the TV can handle in various containers. There are also specific things you need to specify when encoding to meet standards that silicon decoders can handle.

Look in the fine print of the specs of what formats the TV can handle in various containers. There are also specific things you need to specify when encoding to meet standards that silicon decoders can handle.

Manual on Page 26,

Supports:
AVI in MKV:
-Divx 3.11/4.x/5.1/6.0, 6-30FPS, 8Mbps
-XviD, 6-30FPS, 8Mbps
-H.264 BP/MP/HP, 6-30, 25Mbps
-MPEG4 SP/ASP, 6-30FPS, 8Mbps
-All with MP3, AC3, LPCM, ADPCM, DTC Core Sound

ASF in ASF Container
-same as AVI in MKV

WMV in ASF
-WMV v9, 6-30FPS, 25Mbps, WMA sound

MP4 in MP4 Container
6-30FPS for all
-H.264 BP/MP/HP, 25Mbps
-MPEG4 SP/ASP, 8Mbps
-XviD, 8Mbps
-MP3, ADPCM, AAC Sound

-3gp in 3GPP Container
-H.264 BP/MP/HP, 25Mbps
-MPEG4 SP/ASP, 8Mbps
-ADPCM, AAC, HE-AAC Sound

VRO in VRO/VOB Container
-MPEG1/MPEG2, 24/25/30 FPS, 30Mbps
-AC3, MPEG, LPCM Sound

mpg/mpeg in PS container
-MPEG1/MPEG2, 24/25/30 FPS, 30Mbps
-H.264, 6-30 FPS, 25Mbps
-AC3, MPEG, LPCM, AAC Sound

ts/tp/trp in TS container
-MPEG2, 24/25/30 FPS, 30Mbps
-H.264, 6-30 FPS, 25Mbps
-VC1, 6-30 FPS, 25Mbps
-AC3, AAC, MP3, DD+, HE-AAC Sound

All at 1920x1080,

Video Decoder:
-Up to H.264 Level 4.1

Audio Decoder
WMA 7, 8, 9, STD

Not even sure what most of this means to be honest. I know I want quality Image, and pretty good sound. Space isnt an issue, id be fine with 10GB per film (film only). I hate watching DVDs upconverted on the big screen, when Blu-ray looks so much better. I only want from Dreamworks/Pixar etc, to the credits, dont need menus, specials etc.

Thanks for the help.

It means you can most likely get away with dumping the disc's content with AnyDVD HD and playing it without any extra effort.

I would at least strip away useless streams. Since your TV can't play the lossless audio tracks, you can strip those away and keep the core. You also don't need other languages, do you? Even some Blu-rays have extra 480p video tracks that would be completely useless. Any video standardized for Blu-ray should be compliant for silicon decoders. You're not going to get 10 GB per Blu-ray movie unless you re-encode, which takes forever unless you have a powerful machine.

Last edited:
I highly recommend MakeMKV w/ the option of using Handbrake or VidCoder for conversion to other formats.

I recommend eac3to so you can get down to lossy cores instead of wasting disk space on lossless stuff when your TV will just fall back to the cores. If you're not even gonna hook it up to an AVR for audio I wouldn't even bother with 5.1, I'd be encoding to stereo AAC or AC-3 to save even more space. You will only need mkvtoolnix in addition to eac3to, and something to decrypt the Blu-ray reading if you don't, already. MakeMKV has a decrypter, but it is just a simple re-muxer. You will see just how quick that hard drive fills up.

I will have an AVR, just selling this house in the next few months, and buying a bigger one for the family. Though if I rip it once to my network drives, I can stream it to various TVs in the house. So I think having 5.1, stereo, and movie, from top menu "play" to credits, is it. I dont need subs, I dont need languages, I dont need multiple camera angles, director commentary, or special features. Just the movie, so when the kids want to watch something, its easy for mama, to pick media play, select movie, and hit play. No waiting for DVDs to load, no going through menus, no previews, no warnings, etc. Just the movie from start to finish, in english.

Back