Rip and encode my DVD collection.. how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I would like to rip and encore my entire DVD collection (and movies I rent too :p ) and store it on my hard drive. I am a bit confused on what software to use, codec, DivX, H.264, etc. Which method to rip and encode DVD is best? And how to?

Thanks

Para

It is arguably fair use to back up a dvd that you legally own. However, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act prohibits the circumvention of any DRM or copy protection that may be on the DVD. Most programs that rip and encode dvds in fact circumvent drm and copy protection to some extent, so are arguably illegal under the DMCA.

In other words, you might not want to discuss such issues here, since these forums don't allow for discussions of illegal copying and such :)

a google search can get you a good start place however.

that "rental" copying is a killer.

for your legal movies though, i use dvd shrink.

it saves them to about 5 gigs each.....and then they can be opened and played just like there was a dvd in the drive.

i tried to go about the converting them into another file format way....but settled on this because it was the easiest.

^^^ so it turns the basically just rips the vob files from your owned dvd collection or does it turn them to iso

that "rental" copying is a killer.

I don't see why people bother. I mean, you can get movies just as easily with out spending half the price of it on renting it. It's like lame pirating you have to pay to do. Heck you may as well buy the DVD, HDD prices included it's only a few bucks more and way less hassle.

netflix + 500 blank dvds for 16 cents per unit = a lot cheaper and easier than buying dvd titles.

Piracy of copyrighted material is off-limits and not open for discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back