• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Right RAM choice for OCing e8400?

Crucial Ballistix are great overclockers
I've personally got my Crucial BL2KIT25664AA80A to DDR2 1372 @ only 2.18v actual (this is 4GB kit)
As you can see below the top scores belong also to Crucial Ballistix owners of the 2GB 1066 variant.
http://ddr2-1508.gigabyte.com.tw/beat_the_pros-record.htm
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=501034

Corsair Dominators are usually more compatible off the boat compared to other brands.

I would go with the DDR2 1000 kits as they are much cheaper than the DDR2 1066 kits and will reach an extra 33MHz (66MHz effective) no problem

I would also prefer the UD3P over the Maximus II if you don't care that much about eye candy.

The UD3 series handle also very high FSB & better RAM overclocking while saving you money, I can get my E8400 to 575x6 on air this isn't the absolute best I have done since i'm waiting on my LCS to finish up the hard core testing part.
 
Crucial Ballistix are great overclockers
I've personally got my Crucial BL2KIT25664AA80A to DDR2 1372 @ only 2.18v actual (this is 4GB kit)
As you can see below the top scores belong also to Crucial Ballistix owners of the 2GB 1066 variant.
http://ddr2-1508.gigabyte.com.tw/beat_the_pros-record.htm
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=501034

Corsair Dominators are usually more compatible off the boat compared to other brands.

I would go with the DDR2 1000 kits as they are much cheaper than the DDR2 1066 kits and will reach an extra 33MHz (66MHz effective) no problem

I would also prefer the UD3P over the Maximus II if you don't care that much about eye candy.

The UD3 series handle also very high FSB & better RAM overclocking while saving you money, I can get my E8400 to 575x6 on air this isn't the absolute best I have done since i'm waiting on my LCS to finish up the hard core testing part.

I was looking at the UD3 but opted for the Maximus II mainly due to the price and eye candy factors. I was able to find one for 139.99 online. The RAM and the board with shipping cost me no more than 225.00. The most expensive piece of my build is going to be the video card.
 
[kin]phrak!;1033747661 said:
I will be running an e8400 on an ASUS Maximus II with this RAM kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

Should I have gotten this RAM kit instead?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220314

The kits you linked are the same speed and timings.

You will be fine, I never worked with a Asus board, but if its anything like Gigabyte, it has alot of FSB Strap options to keep your ram at its rated speeds.

I bought a DDR800 Kit with my E5200 and did fine with overclocks going as high as 1104, and even with my Q9550 that did a minimal effort 524 FSB.

Also keep me posted on how well your new comp overclocks, I just fell in love with my setup from upgrading from a 3800X2 that at max it did 3.0ghz to my second E5200 that does 4.4Ghz @ 1.5V, I purchased a Q9550 but sold it after it returned from Rma, i loved the chip, Did 4.5Ghz under 1.45V, but my god damm tuniq could not keep up. :(
 
Back
Top