Right Click --> 'Run As"

patriot71

Gawd
I have the admin account on my system and have the guest account turned off effectively making me the only user on my system but I am having issues running programs. If I want to run the program, I have to right click on the shortcut to it, select run as and then uncheck the box "protect my computer and data from unauthorized activity." I dont know why I have to do this all of a sudden, but lately this has become quite the annoyance. Is there any way to turn this nonsense off so I can run my programs as I please. I even have one program I can't run period because of this.

Win Xp Pro SP2

Is it the built-in Administrator account or an user account with admin privileges?

I believe this is the Administrator account because I cant change my current account to limited without first creating another account to be the computer admin.

Still probably not the built in administrator account. That account can be disabled or locked and is by default on most XP Home Edition machines.

I am the only user of this computer and I have never created any other accounts. I dont see why I wouldnt be the administrator. How do I find out if I am not using the "built in" admin account?

The no-execute bit "protection" may be enabled (Called DEP - Data Execution Prevention in windows). Depending on what program you are trying to run, it may be possible that it is incompatible with DEP. I would see if it makes a difference to put the program on the DEP exclusion list. If that 'fixes' the issue, you might want to consider contacting the maker of the software and asking them why their program needs to execute data portions of RAM. They may have a valid reason for doing so.

patriot71 said:
I am the only user of this computer and I have never created any other accounts. I dont see why I wouldnt be the administrator. How do I find out if I am not using the "built in" admin account?

Command Prompt (start->run->cmd)
Code:
Net user
that will show you a list of all local, visible user accounts on your machine.

drizzt81 said:
The no-execute bit "protection" may be enabled (Called DEP - Data Execution Prevention in windows). Depending on what program you are trying to run, it may be possible that it is incompatible with DEP. I would see if it makes a difference to put the program on the DEP exclusion list. If that 'fixes' the issue, you might want to consider contacting the maker of the software and asking them why their program needs to execute data portions of RAM. They may have a valid reason for doing so.

I have DEP disabled.

I ran the Net User command and these were listed, Administrator, Help Assistant, Zach, AspNet, Support_388945a0, Guest .

I remember deleting the AspNet profile a long time ago because I had no idea why that was listed in my user list. Could this be the source of my problems?

patriot71 said:

Its not that you don't have Administrative level privledges. There is a huge difference between an administrative level account which is what you get when you put your name into Windows XP's setup when it asks you those retarded setup questions after you've done the installation.

There is a built in Administrator account which on Windows XP Home Edition is disabled by default or the password is left blank, this account does expire if not used in so long.

If you've never created any other user accounts, Administrator is supressed and the system logs in automatically as youre account. Trust me though, some rare pieces of software and some issues that can arise on a Windows XP machine require the real Administrator logon to work around or fix.

As far as the problem your having goes, deleting the ASPNET account could have definately caused your issues. I've never seen that deleted so I can't say for certain.

you could change the "way users log on to this computer" to make sure that you log in as administrator.

Back