• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Rig w/ SSD extremely slow startup?

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,089
This just started randomly happening to my rig (specs in sig below).

I usually put my computer to sleep 6 days a week with 1 shutdown for the night 1 day a week, after my shutdown night, I turned it back on to find that my computer boots very slowly. Pretty much any application to do with internet access namely, booting the computer results in going to the desktop really quickly, but when I go to load IE / Chrome / MSE it literally takes three minutes for the windows to come up. I've tried rebooting my router / modem and a system restore, I've taken all the updates. etc, ran my virus scanners and nothing came up. Anyone have any ideas?
 
You need to loosen up some space on that SSD. That is why your boot up is slow so.
 
yup. You need to keep an SSD under 75% full in order for it to have enough spare area to manage its garbage collection (kind of like real time autodefragging), otherwise performance sharply drops off when writing.
 
yup. You need to keep an SSD under 75% full in order for it to have enough spare area to manage its garbage collection (kind of like real time autodefragging), otherwise performance sharply drops off when writing.

I think he is saying he has 59.3 used with another 59.7 available (so a 120 gb drive), meaning he is at about 50% utilization, should be plenty of space for it to do all of the SSD stuff, gotta figure something else is the problem here (no idea what though, I am no SSD expert).
 
oh, I figured 59 was total because that is the usable capacity of a 64GB ssd. Could be coincidence though...
 
oh, I figured 59 was total because that is the usable capacity of a 64GB ssd. Could be coincidence though...
Yah, I think coincidence, his sig lists the SSD as "- Crucial M4 128 SSD "
 
Try booting in safe mode and see if its still slow.
My first inclination is that Babylon toolbar... I've had to fix multiple family member's computer because of that thing, all exhibited the slow loading of the browser And slow boot.
 
I put my OCZ to sleep and it never woke up.

Dont know if thats an issue with all SSDs or just the OCZ ones. Was experiencing slow startups as well.

Back on topic.

Are you connected to wifi on startup? If so switch to wired and see if that fixes it.
 
Back
Top