rig for running VMs

seduxion

Weaksauce
I am contemplating upgrading my q6600 @3.2 to something that will allow me to run Hyper-V on win 8.1. I do a lot of development, VS/BizTalk/SQL, work on my laptop now with multiple VMs running at once but I need to upgrade my workstation finally.

I like the thought of running an X5650 OC'd. Are there any boards around $100 that will support those Xeon procs with a mild OC or do I need to spend $180+ on some used boards on ebay to accomplish this? I will have to buy CPU/Board/RAM in this upgrade. BTW I need a MB upgrade anyways because mine won't support GPT. I am also only running a 6970 video card, which works for the games I play.

TLDR I am looking for recommendations on a decent motherboard for an X5650 around $100 if one exists.

I think your budget is a probably a little low, but you might be able to find a nice used Gigabyte X58A-UD3R or similar for a little more than that. I've seen them going for $150 on my local craigslist.

for work like that?.. search for a FX8350 with a cheap mobo.. 2 of my working machine are with that chip because in VM/SQL perform flawlessly..

I say go AMD with asus board & get ecc ram. Should work great.

Another option is get something like E3-1230v2 @ $199 at Microcenter & a $100-$200 supermicro board. Should be really powerful, somewhat cheap & support ECC as well.

Thanks guys. I am trying to stay within a $350 budget. I really appreciate the suggestions.

Doesn't Hyper-V only require VT-X not VT-D?

I see this on Intel's site: for example on the 4770k "Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)" = YES

With that said I don't know that I would have a need for VT-D.

Back