Ridiculously Long Boot Time For XP Pro

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darius94523, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Darius94523

Darius94523 n00b

Featuring the PC in my rig, I've had horrible problems with boot-up time. I ran a fresh install of Windows XP SP 1 and it took me about three minutes to boot up. On average it takes me about 1-2 minutes to boot up. But following a crash related to my video cards I hit a record time of about 5-6 minutes. Usually I boot to the Windows XP splash screen for a few minutes, the keyboard lights blink then I hit the black screen before the XP logon screen. I get stalled at the black screen for up to 2-3 minutes on my last reboot.

With TuneXP Ultra-Fast booting I brought it to the 1-2 minutes speed. Is there any other way I can solve this? I've used the same XP install on my other rig, which boots up in less than 20 seconds. I'm in need of some solutions.

2. GloryField

GloryField Limp Gawd

hmm i have same problem. If I only have a 120 gig ide WD 8mb cache 7200rpm drive, it takes me 5 mins avg to boot. If I just hook up a 4 gig seagate as slave, the boot takes 20 seconds. I don't know why though.

3. t00thless

t00thless Limp Gawd

IMHO, this is a hardware problem. try removing things you dont need (ie CDROM, floppy, have only one stick of ram, etc) down to a minimum. now try it.

warning: your bios might get upset, but you shouldn't have any serious problems.

4. lozaning

lozaning 2[H]4U

i would do a fech install of windows, this happened to me and it took 4 installs of windows to get a good instalation.