Ridiculously Long Boot Time For XP Pro

Featuring the PC in my rig, I've had horrible problems with boot-up time. I ran a fresh install of Windows XP SP 1 and it took me about three minutes to boot up. On average it takes me about 1-2 minutes to boot up. But following a crash related to my video cards I hit a record time of about 5-6 minutes. Usually I boot to the Windows XP splash screen for a few minutes, the keyboard lights blink then I hit the black screen before the XP logon screen. I get stalled at the black screen for up to 2-3 minutes on my last reboot.

With TuneXP Ultra-Fast booting I brought it to the 1-2 minutes speed. Is there any other way I can solve this? I've used the same XP install on my other rig, which boots up in less than 20 seconds. I'm in need of some solutions.

hmm i have same problem. If I only have a 120 gig ide WD 8mb cache 7200rpm drive, it takes me 5 mins avg to boot. If I just hook up a 4 gig seagate as slave, the boot takes 20 seconds. I don't know why though.

IMHO, this is a hardware problem. try removing things you dont need (ie CDROM, floppy, have only one stick of ram, etc) down to a minimum. now try it.

warning: your bios might get upset, but you shouldn't have any serious problems.

i would do a fech install of windows, this happened to me and it took 4 installs of windows to get a good instalation.

Back