• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Riddick for PC: questions/problems

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
1,804
Bought the game last night and have a few questions. (i've never seen an "instruction" book like the one that came with this, lol)

Anyone know of a good discussion forum for this game?

How about a list of grapple moves and sneak attack stuff?

This game certainly beats up on my system worse than HL2. AA is set at 2 in the control panel and I am using the AF slider in game set about 3/4 of the way up, rez at 1024x768, 4.12 cats and DX9c. I can tell the FPS dips lower than i'd like it to in certain spots.

Also, i'm noticing a few weird things with shadows on the character models....some of them jump around a bit or are just kinda out of place. Anyone else had this problem? My card also is showing a bit of artifacting :mad: .....i've pulled the stock heatsink off and AS3'd it.....grrr.



Great game so far.
 
I've noticed the awkward shadows as well. I assume it's just a bug in their new engine. I also get alot of texture shimmering with my 6800 GT.

While not a sneak attack, I recently discovered that if you are facing a soldier and they go to hit you with their gun you can start to throw a punch and Riddick will grab their gun, turn it around on them, and blow their brains out. I found this move to be very useful when I was running around the mines before I got the stun gun.
 
OMG that shiv battle with Rust was driving me insane. Slice him over and over again and he kills with a couple slashes. GRRRR! Playin on hard setting.

what was the question?

I don't use the aa and whatnot. The 2.00++ shader mode looks plenty sweet enough. That alone drags my perfomance down when the guns are blazing, however I'm running an outdated processor (XP1800) and a good video card (6800 Ultra).
 
This game makes my system feel slow in wide open area's @ 1024x768 with NO aa, and the 3rd "tick" selected for AF in game. Shader model 2.0
:( It gets really choppy :(

anyone else playing on a 9800XT ?
 
Don't play Riddick with 2.00++ Shader mode. You are asking for trouble. It even drags my machine down which is high end. If I select 2.00 I am able to play the game with pretty good frame rates at 1600x1200 res 2xAA and 16xAF. There is really no difference between 2.00++ and 2.00 as far as image quality goes.

Good Discussion forum for this game is at:

www.riddickgame.com
 
icebird0 said:
I've noticed the awkward shadows as well. I assume it's just a bug in their new engine. I also get alot of texture shimmering with my 6800 GT.

While not a sneak attack, I recently discovered that if you are facing a soldier and they go to hit you with their gun you can start to throw a punch and Riddick will grab their gun, turn it around on them, and blow their brains out. I found this move to be very useful when I was running around the mines before I got the stun gun.
i just got the game today and im getting alot of shimmering too. its really starting to bother me. where is the setting for AA as i cant get rid of the jaggies either. the graphics are sorta of strange looking in places.
 
well since you bumped my year old thread i'll just add that this game looks awesome on my x1800xl.
 
Aaron_ATX said:
well since you bumped my year old thread i'll just add that this game looks awesome on my x1800xl.
i did a search and didnt even notice the thread was january 05. :eek: the game looks like crap on my 6600 with all that shimmering. i wonder why more people didnt complain. i would really like to see it on an x1800. so are you getting any shimmer at all??
 
the game ran fine on my 9800pro way back when. Like everybody says, don't use shader model 2.0, the implementation was not perfect.
 
The last time I played was last year with my 6800 Ultra. I couldnt get to shader 2+, it would bring the card to its knees in gun battles.
I thought the graphics were very good. Ive been thinking of giving it a redeaux with my SLI set-up......maybe this weekend. It would be cool to turn everything up to full blast and see how it runs. :D
 
Get CATALYST 6.1!!! Then turn off your AA and you should get a very decent FPS.
 
Aaron_ATX said:
This game makes my system feel slow in wide open area's @ 1024x768 with NO aa, and the 3rd "tick" selected for AF in game. Shader model 2.0
:( It gets really choppy :(

anyone else playing on a 9800XT ?
Wait, I thought you had a x1800xl? Anyway I ran the game on my 9800pro a while back was pretty decent on 800x600, still get the newwest catalyst it will give you a boost, it also has a shadow fix for that game.
 
I'm the Dude said:
OMG that shiv battle with Rust was driving me insane. Slice him over and over again and he kills with a couple slashes. GRRRR! Playin on hard setting.

what was the question?

I don't use the aa and whatnot. The 2.00++ shader mode looks plenty sweet enough. That alone drags my perfomance down when the guns are blazing, however I'm running an outdated processor (XP1800) and a good video card (6800 Ultra).

Wow I'm surprised you can play it like that at all. On my A64 6800GT rig i put that sucker on PS2.0 and then it ran well. I want to say all you lose is soft shadows but I don't know if that's true since there is both a PS2.0+ and a PS2.0++. Anyways, looked pretty much the same to me but with way better performance.

Game runs pretty good in PS1.4 for my buddies 9700pro. Though of course now we're probably dealing with some more noticable IQ drop but very good.
 
Back
Top