Richland, whats the Difference?

The GPU is still VLIW4, not GCN.

Richland's CPU is just Piledriver released on a more mature process, so slightly higher clock speeds. The GPU architecture stays the same (IMC now supports 2133) but the layout has changed and the clocks have been bumped up.

Kaveri is based on Steamroller + GCN, not Richland.

The last several and most recent articles I've read, including the one linked by the OP, say Richland is GCN.

There's a lot of conflicting reports as to whether it will be GCN or VLIW4. So nothing is definitive yet.

07:34PM EST - Richland looks like Trinity with a software update

07:33PM EST - Kaveri will be 2H2013 with GCN support

http://www.anandtech.com/print/6567

AMD-Trinity-APU-Successor-Richland-Won-t-Bring-Anything-New.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-14%20at%2010.38.04%20PM.png

Radeon cores 2.0 = VLIW4, whereas the Kabini/Temash and Kaveri APUs show GCN on the slides.

The more I read into this, it seems you may be right. However, your second slide refers specifically and only to Trinity, so it's irrelevant.

Last edited:
The more I read into this, it seems you may be right. However, your second slide refers specifically and only to Trinity, so it's irrelevant.

it is relevant, because he was trying to show you, that Radeon Cores 2.0 = VLIW 4 graphic ;)

From what I'm gathering from different discussions around the interwebs is that its going to be VL5W, w/ some minor clock bumps and microcode. Steamroller and GCN will be this fall. Thanks for helping me clear it all up.

Back