RIAA: U.S. Copyright Law 'Isn't Working'

They are no different than the telcos. They are merely the medium used to exchange info. ISPs should have the same safe harbors that the telcos have enjoyed for decades.

Exactly. It's like wanting UPS and Fedex to open every package and check for pirated DVDs. It's insane.

making the ISPs responsible is like making the roads respomsible for an armed bank robbery - the robbers used the road to get to the bank (in all likelihood), so the roads are responsible

not to mention the huge amount of tax payer money used to do enforce content for the RIAA and MPAA.

I don't have to care about this.

I know where to get torrents.

I don't support big-name 'artists'.

And if there's a small-time artist who makes an excellent product, I will torrent their work -- and then donate twice as much directly to them.

That's my world.

We should be able to sue the power company too. After all, it's their energy that's allowing these pirates to steal all these songs! There's also all the people involved in selling the house to the person, getting the house built, buying the land, then there's the BLM for selling the land... Gotta be able to sue his mom for giving birth to him.

Toshiba for selling him the laptop he used. Microsoft for the OS... The list goes on and on. Maybe then the RIAA can offset the lost revenue of a changing world.

But seriously, they really need to EVOLVE. Change the way they do business... Because they're doing it SO wrong right now. They're clinging onto an archaic method. Ignoring the fact the world has changed. Making everybody into a criminal.

Sue oem's that sell end users computers, and data center servers. Don't stop there, the OS maker, the software engineers, and driver authors. Sue EVERYONE!!1111

They are no different than the telcos. They are merely the medium used to exchange info. ISPs should have the same safe harbors that the telcos have enjoyed for decades.

They do. The DMCA (section 512?) contains safe harbor provisions for ISPs, search engines (hence the continued existence of the PirateBay), and hosts like RapidShare as long as that body complies with take-down requests.

How Much of Someone Else's Work May I Use Without Asking Permission?: The Fair Use Doctrine, Part I

http://http://www.publaw.com/work.html

Determining Whether a Particular Use is a Fair Use

Section 107 enumerates four "fair use factors" that need to be analyzed in order to determine whether a particular use of a copyrighted work is fair use. These factors are:

1.the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

2.the nature of the copyrighted work;

3.the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

4.the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work."
Because the courts consider all four factors - no single factor is and of itself sufficient to prove fair use - publishers need to understand each factor as it relates to determining whether use of the original copyrighted work in the creation of a new work will be considered fair use in the eyes of the court.

They want to be also able to sue providers for the "Crimes" of users. Basically RIAA is a front organization for some fascist group that wants all content to be controlled by them. Good bye democracy.

Democracy died a long time ago...

"... And to the republic, for which it stands..."

Creators of music don't get much of the profit anyway, the record company does. Bands get the most money when they go on tour and sell lots of merchandise at a concert. A friend of mine says that when a CD is sold in a store, the band gets 10% of the total cost, but if the band sells it at a concert, they get 90%...That's why he owns his own recording studio and masters the projects himself.

RIAA needs to shut up and die. The only people they are out to protect are themselves.

You know what I herd makes for good music sales? Good Music. Amazing. If I can't listen to the CD the entire way through you can suck my balls.

Democracy died a long time ago...

"... And to the republic, for which it stands..."

Creators of music don't get much of the profit anyway, the record company does. Bands get the most money when they go on tour and sell lots of merchandise at a concert. A friend of mine says that when a CD is sold in a store, the band gets 10% of the total cost, but if the band sells it at a concert, they get 90%...That's why he owns his own recording studio and masters the projects himself.

THIS. The whole concept of "Man in the middle" is dieing and is a few steps away from being completely dead. When artists start releasing their albums digitally online they will be completely screwed because both sides of the coin will be against them.

"Hello RIAA, do you understand the term Usenet....? You know pretty much how the INTERNET was conceived..."

Guess what....almost every ISP has a direct link to every other ISP this is how we maintain Internet connectivity. The "Internet" is a vast multitude of BGP and OSPF routers maintaining connectivity between millions of networks.

It is possible for businesses and schools to traffic shape/content filter.

Torrent's are unsecured, easily logged, easily negated, easily packet shaped crap.

It is possible for ISP's to "ATTEMPT" to do this. None of them want to budget, have the budget or desire to fully enforce this as the level of traffic filtering to prevent copyright infringement they would need is near impossible to accomplish.... Major ISP's can reach in the Terabit/s range of routed throughput.

Most Usenet services provide encrypted SSL connections to end users...I am not even going to go into how complicated filtering SSL traffic is or "possible" in the least.

There is no one way to control traffic on the Internet, it has grown to vast and to complicated for simple minded retards like the RIAA to even begin to conceive. There will never be an enforced copyright protection policy that works. EVER. None...zilch..impossible. 100% No if's no way no how. The minute (and they have one chance in 10482390482309482390480923480 of this happening) they even come close someone will figure out a way around it.

So lets all grab a beer, sit back behind our triple monitors and laugh as we watch our Windows Home Servers fill up to the brim.

"Hello RIAA, do you understand the term Usenet....? You know pretty much how the INTERNET was conceived..."

Guess what....almost every ISP has a direct link to every other ISP this is how we maintain Internet connectivity. The "Internet" is a vast multitude of BGP and OSPF routers maintaining connectivity between millions of networks.

It is possible for businesses and schools to traffic shape/content filter.

Torrent's are unsecured, easily logged, easily negated, easily packet shaped crap.

It is possible for ISP's to "ATTEMPT" to do this. None of them want to budget, have the budget or desire to fully enforce this as the level of traffic filtering to prevent copyright infringement they would need is near impossible to accomplish.... Major ISP's can reach in the Terabit/s range of routed throughput.

Most Usenet services provide encrypted SSL connections to end users...I am not even going to go into how complicated filtering SSL traffic is or "possible" in the least.

There is no one way to control traffic on the Internet, it has grown to vast and to complicated for simple minded retards like the RIAA to even begin to conceive. There will never be an enforced copyright protection policy that works. EVER. None...zilch..impossible. 100% No if's no way no how. The minute (and they have one chance in 10482390482309482390480923480 of this happening) they even come close someone will figure out a way around it.

So lets all grab a beer, sit back behind our triple monitors and laugh as we watch our Windows Home Servers fill up to the brim.

And you are ok with this?
If you were an artist of any kind, forget the publishers and distributers, what's the point of creation if you don't get paid?

And you are ok with this?
If you were an artist of any kind, forget the publishers and distributers, what's the point of creation if you don't get paid?

How do you get paid when you don't get noticed? If you throw the music online for free and don't ever rely on that as any source of income, consider if the music is good...word of mouth spreads...the song gains popularity...the local garage band that released the material sells out local venues, gets a manager and makes tons of cash touring and playing large venues. They might make more money than if they released a CD, charged you $20 and since you never heard of the band are you going to chip out the $20 and risk buying a total crap album? I have in excess of 50 of these current drink coasters they call music. Also like was said before money can be generated from band merchandise...the music is what gets you noticed in the first place.

How do you get paid when you don't get noticed? If you throw the music online for free and don't ever rely on that as any source of income, consider if the music is good...word of mouth spreads...the song gains popularity...the local garage band that released the material sells out local venues, gets a manager and makes tons of cash touring and playing large venues. They might make more money than if they released a CD, charged you $20 and since you never heard of the band are you going to chip out the $20 and risk buying a total crap album? I have in excess of 50 of these current drink coasters they call music. Also like was said before money can be generated from band merchandise...the music is what gets you noticed in the first place.

Yea? that would be ideal, but it fails in practice, largely. Go to the Pirate Bay and browse the audio section. How many of those are small, new bands? and you don't get noticed unless you hit 'the charts', and you don't do that unless yous sell albums.

The RIAA would strongly prefer informal agreements inked with intermediaries, Sherman said: "We're working on [discussions with broadband providers], and we'd like to extend that kind of relationship--not just to ISPs, but [also to] search engines, payment processors, advertisers."

Read that as: We would really like to get back door deals setup before the politicians setup deals that may not be as good we would like them to be.

Not that the politicians work for us anyway.....

The RIAA needs to go straight to hell...

"Lets sue a 9 year old for 1 mmmmmiiiiilllllllliiiiooooonnnn dollars!!!!!!" Greedy motherfuckers.

Read that as: We would really like to get back door deals setup before the politicians setup deals that may not be as good we would like them to be.

Not that the politicians work for us anyway.....

No - thats not what that is at all. It's "We sure as fuck can't do this on our own, so we need other people to help us or we're going to die. Just like GM we should have other people working to fix our shit" Someone else hit the nail on the head that this is literally impossible to accomplish. There's no way, in addition to if you stopped one thing, 10 more will crop up IMMEDIATELY. Rapidshare/Megaupload sites are now rampant for distributing piracy, and I can always go back to FTP/IRC/Usenet if need be.

Speaking of government, how does everyone feel about this in combination of ACTA? http://www.ustr.gov/acta

I mean can anyone else not see the hilarity in this? Calling for ISPs to help them out is something that I would have a heart attack of laughter if I was a CEO of an ISP.

Let's take a quick look at what "creating an allegiance" with the RIAA would do: It would certainly decrease revenue. The INSTANT I see any associating with my ISP and any anti-piracy association is the same minute I call them demanding to cancel their service. It will never go unnoticed and the public will immediately be notified. So decrease in revenue is obvious - the second would be an obvious increase in costs. You need to hire more people to do more jobs for more projects for something that will never increase your revenue and only increase costs. There is not a single benefit that can be gained from doing this. Never. Ever. Monitoring something like this would also cost tons and tons of money. That's a double whammy on why that would be absolutely stupid and once again I would die of laughter if I was a CEO of an ISP.

Take a look at Comcast - and they just did a couple things under the table and it blew up in their face.

Someone needs to update the beating the dead horse picture, RIAA has been doing it so long I'm sure it would be a smashed skeleton by now.

What's really broken is the RIAA. I have a simple solution that involves a can of gas, and a match.

The RIAA needs to go straight to hell...

"Lets sue a 9 year old for 1 mmmmmiiiiilllllllliiiiooooonnnn dollars!!!!!!" Greedy motherfuckers.

1139064-dr_evil_one_million_dollars_super.jpeg

Back