RIAA Targets the Cloud

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
That’s not a silver lining on that cloud, that’s the dark shadow of the RIAA taking its lawsuits to new heights (pun intended). Business file sharing service Box.net is under investigation by RIAA for clients storing and sharing pre-released copyrighted music. Box.net is a cloud-based service. The RIAA has no shame.

The fact that Box.Net is a cloud service has nothing to do with our investigation," RIAA spokesperson Cara Duckworth told Ars.

If the world does end tonight, the only good will be the RIAA will be gone...

World isn't ending, just the christians getting raptured...leaving fewer of us for the RIAA to sue. :eek:

But no good Christian would get sued because they wouldn't steal, so the net total of us "thieves" wouldn't change.

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Matthew 24:36

Christians won't escape RIAA's reach, don't worry.

Incidentally, has anyone else seen this and just been like WTF I am in the wrong business?

"As May 21 drew nearer, followers say donations grew, allowing Family Radio to spend millions of dollars on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the doomsday message. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities."

Incidentally, has anyone else seen this and just been like WTF I am in the wrong business?

"As May 21 drew nearer, followers say donations grew, allowing Family Radio to spend millions of dollars on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the doomsday message. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities."

Well, yeah. Paraphrasing George Carlin: "God is angry, and will smite you down at any moment! But God loves you, and he needs your money."

World isn't ending, just the christians getting raptured...leaving fewer of us for the RIAA to sue. :eek:

The Christians aren't getting raptured. The so called preacher of this isn't Christian, neither are any other so called "doomsday" prophet. Sigh, I wish people weren't so quick to lump all of us in with the fruitcakes and nutcases.

The so called preacher of this isn't Christian, neither are any other so called "doomsday" prophet. Sigh, I wish people weren't so quick to lump all of us in with the fruitcakes and nutcases.

You might want to break it to them they aren't Christians in that case. Welcome to the world of lumping where loose similar belief will group you together. It's what's been going on forever, you're just being lumped with this group, just like Muslim Americans have been lumped in with their crazies.

You might want to break it to them they aren't Christians in that case. Welcome to the world of lumping where loose similar belief will group you together. It's what's been going on forever, you're just being lumped with this group, just like Muslim Americans have been lumped in with their crazies.

It's a shame, though in the case of Islam, if you read the koran, you find that Al Queda isn't going against what their word commands.

The real question is, "Did they liquidate 100% of their assets on the advertising campaign? If not, why not?"

The topic is RIAA and Box.net, not the events of the day. Keep it on topic please.

It's a shame, though in the case of Islam, if you read the koran, you find that Al Queda isn't going against what their word commands.

Not quite correct. It's no different than not following the Old Testament as a Christian. Again, one creates a disservice by lumping people's belief together, especially when not having anything but a cursory knowledge.

It's a shame, though in the case of Christians, if you read the Bible, you find that homosexuality and slave-owning isn't going against what their word commands.

Edit for Truth. What the Koran does or does not say is largely open to interpretation. Take for example, this exert from a pro-biblical website:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/homglance.htm

Enjoy the media that's usually quick to demonize muslims now demonizing Christians for a change. It sucks to be on the rear-end of that stick no matter who you are. Gamers were all games face violence and murder, muslims were decent muslims are labelled as terrorist or extremiest, etc etc etc etc

I'm honestly surprised the RIAA could say jack shit. Its a storage service. Box does not control what a customer stores on it. If a customer shares that. Its the customers choice. Also RIAA is investigating them? They are not the police. If I was box I just go file a restraining order stating they or anyone they hire can not use or touch the service as they have already stated that they are looking to damage box's business modal by publicly stating that they are investigating box. It could be construed by customers of box that their data is not safe.

Just my opinion.

I'm honestly surprised the RIAA could say jack shit. Its a storage service. Box does not control what a customer stores on it. If a customer shares that. Its the customers choice. Also RIAA is investigating them? They are not the police. If I was box I just go file a restraining order stating they or anyone they hire can not use or touch the service as they have already stated that they are looking to damage box's business modal by publicly stating that they are investigating box. It could be construed by customers of box that their data is not safe.

Just my opinion.

The problem is why is the California federal court letting them even get this far? The RIAA has way too many government officials in their pocket.

Someone should be investigating them for kickbacks and corruption in controlling the federal court system, both locally and nationally.

Just my opinion.

Agreed.

Somehow I figure at some point "Anonymous" will decide "Ok, that's enough outta you, RIAA" and we'll see a Sony-like situation happening all over again, probably quite soon too.

And I won't be surprised in the least...

Somehow I figure at some point "Anonymous" will decide "Ok, that's enough outta you, RIAA" and we'll see a Sony-like situation happening all over again, probably quite soon too.

And I won't be surprised in the least...

I, for one, will be gleefully cheering them on.

I mean does RIAA provide any services beyond the usual lawsuits?

I, for one, will be gleefully cheering them on.

I mean does RIAA provide any services beyond the usual lawsuits?

Yeah, I would probably be in the same boat. I don't feel much at Sony's plight (especially because it does involve too much collateral damage), but I would thoroughly enjoy RIAA/MPAA being taken to the cleaners.

RIAA is going after the cloud. What's next, them going after Western Digital because the only reason they can think of for 2TB drives is storing pirated music and movies? How about CISCO, their routers are responsible for handling a great deal of the pirated material on the internet. Let's hit up Linus Torvalds next, his OS only has one purpose, stealing music and movies.

Why are we not taking steps to castrate these monkeys politically? I don't listen to music these days unless it is on the radio and I am on a long drive, so this has little effect on me, but we need to make it clear that we will not be voting for anyone that panders to the RIAA/MPAA. Lobbyists are important, but the moment a lobby is allowed to give a politician money the whole thing becomes corrupt. Lobbies should function on voting blocks and not money. That way, we at least return to the appearance of majority rule instead of corporate rule.

While the "cloud" promises ease of access and usability and availability...

It also has some drawbacks, as we see here...

When our content is online, it will be monitored and possibly acted apon which is sort of scary. I do not have faith that privacy will be upheld for these storage services...

While the "cloud" promises ease of access and usability and availability...

It also has some drawbacks, as we see here...

When our content is online, it will be monitored and possibly acted apon which is sort of scary. I do not have faith that privacy will be upheld for these storage services...

I agree, it is why I simply do not use cloud services, and warn others not to put anything in the cloud they would not want the governmental, their employer, or a criminal to have access to.

Too easy for the data to be compromised. File encryption and then put them in a password protected rar would help with that, but seriously kill the convenience.

I

Yeah, I would probably be in the same boat. I don't feel much at Sony's plight (especially because it does involve too much collateral damage), but I would thoroughly enjoy RIAA/MPAA being taken to the cleaners.

As much as I liked HBgary's emails the RIAA/MPAA would be a diamond mine of information. Wheres Wiki-leaks when you really want juicy info.

Why are we not taking steps to castrate these monkeys politically? I don't listen to music these days unless it is on the radio and I am on a long drive, so this has little effect on me, but we need to make it clear that we will not be voting for anyone that panders to the RIAA/MPAA. Lobbyists are important, but the moment a lobby is allowed to give a politician money the whole thing becomes corrupt. Lobbies should function on voting blocks and not money. That way, we at least return to the appearance of majority rule instead of corporate rule.

[Off Topic]
I'm not American, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't your government based on representatives that lobby in congress? I have this idea that the representatives are for the people, or have they changed to Representative For Sale 'R Us?
[/Off Topic]

I would like to see RIAA/MPAA take down the network companies for providing the means of digital transport, and maybe even the highway department for allowing the cable network trucks lay wires all over the country!

Come on Anon, do something already (I wanna play on my PS3 for crying out loud).

Back