RIAA Seize Domain Name of The ‘Wrong’ Website

HardOCP News

[H] News
Stories like this are going to keep popping up as long as the RIAA isn't required to follow the same rules as everyone else. How do you just confiscate someone else's domain without any legal grounds? How about the lack of any sort of legal process that would have caught a mistake like this?

In its continued quest to keep the Internet piracy-free, the RIAA has seized the domain name of yet another MP3Skull site. However, it appears that their most recent target has nothing to do with the original service, so it's doubtful whether the music group's actions are legally sound.

If they can sue dead people, they can basically do anything they want. We are all screwed.

So, I am reading the article and it says the RIAA seized a domain by accident. It says the domain they seized was mp3skull.onl but I try to go there and I get nothing. But a search sent me here;
需要安全验证

And that doesn't look like what the operators are claiming in the news article.

And on this facebook page, the Anonymous image suggests maybe they are behind the redirection etc. I wonder if they are trying to mess with the RIAA by tricking them into seizing innocent domains.

EDIT: Oh shit ! my link showed up in chinese .... :confused:

需要安全验证

It should have looked like this .... yes, I paste it in English and it comes out as Chinese.

Clearly seizing both the correct and incorrect domains means they've completely beaten piracy. It was fun while it lasted.

The RIAA did go through the proper legal channels, though: they donated to Democrats.

Just another one of those "war on...." like the war on drugs it just brings opportunity for new business and the all important revenue.

Like I said above, it looks like something else is going on that isn't in the report. Check out post #3

I wasn't really referring to this case. This is more about a little old lady in Ohio who was serving up her huge hip-hop collection and had to be sued. Not to mention works departments, libraries, coffee shops, cars (yes, just a car), and (the best of all) suing the victims of hacks.

This sort of "To Catch a Predator" bullshit would never stand if it was Joe Schmoe doing it. It's this sort of tactic that needs to be stopped, it's harassment on a massive scale and it would be called that if RIAA wasn't above the law.

Back