• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Rheostat/Fan Controller

LiQuId StEeL

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
80
I recently build my new rig, and the four 70cfm Yates are just a bit too loud for when I'm not doing anything but listening to music/sleeping. I was going to just pick up a fan controller and be done with it, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a retail one that fits my needs (I would love to be proved wrong, however!). I don't like LED's all over the place, and I don't need automatic control/temperature monitoring. All I really want is a silver (not black!) bezel with four knobs/switches. This product has eluded me thus far, so I'm expanding out.

I have a few spare bezels, and really, I just need something like this (picture taken from a lian li page). I just need a way to throttle the voltage down from the default 12. If there were switches that I could jsut mount in a spare bezel, awesome. I haven't found them, though (I've heard radio shack ones would just get hot and burn up).

Any ideas/products?
 
The Sunbeam Rheobus is excellent. I especially like that it truly goes to 0v. Your fans WILL stop. :D

The mod was pretty easy, too. I followed that very guide with 22k Ohm resistors that another guide recommended. The LEDs are now about half as bright as the power LED on my Lian-Li. I also flipped the LEDs to reverse the leads so that they're blue for 0-7v, and red for higher. I think the guides say to cross the leads to reverse them, but I found it better to flip the bulb the other way.

And yeah, the price is definitely right.
 
Well then, I'm sold.

I was looking around, and finding correctly specced pots was going to run me $30+ per unit, ouch. I'm gonna snag one of the sunbeams, and just toss some resistors on :whee:

Thanks
 
Awesome. You'll love it.

If you need more than four channels, Sunbeam has a Rheobus Extreme that has six, but it's not as easy to mod. You have to detach the PCB to access the LEDs.
 
Back
Top