RFID In Your Jewelry?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Popular Science has an article posted today on RFID tags that are so small, they can be mixed with paper pulp to prevent counterfeiting or used in jewelry to prevent theft. Cool and creepy all at the same time.

The so-called powder chip is thin enough that it can be mixed with paper pulp to add a layer of counterfeit protection to gift certificates, passports and currency. It's also caught the interest of the jewelry industry, which could invisibly embed the chip in rings and necklaces to track their origins, making them more difficult to sell illegally.

Now THAT'S a cool idea; a new way to protect your goods. LoJack for your car, RFID for your jewelry. I really like this.

God RFID is so evil. Not like mark of the beast of anything. Just a freaking can of worms legally. I hate RFID. Go away please. ok then.

btw walmart is a huge RFID fanboy. put your RFIDs in the microwave and pop them so you can't be tracked.

The should do this with expensive electronics and computer components (like those $1000 video cards :p )... not diamonds, which have thier price grossly artifically inflated by a cartel.

The counterfeit protection sounds intriguing though.

God RFID is so evil. Not like mark of the beast of anything. Just a freaking can of worms legally. I hate RFID. Go away please. ok then.

btw walmart is a huge RFID fanboy. put your RFIDs in the microwave and pop them so you can't be tracked.

Actually, I think you have to be quite close to a reader to pick them up. Now if they start making them so they can be tracked by sattelite.. That's when I will just have to say NOOOOO! :D

Actually, I think you have to be quite close to a reader to pick them up. Now if they start making them so they can be tracked by sattelite.. That's when I will just have to say NOOOOO! :D

Yeah, it's not like you buy a ring with RFID in it, and suddenly it's "OMG, teh MAN is watching me!!!" What this DOES really have potential for is places like jewelers and pawn shops, where goods can be resold. Someone steals your jewels, you report them stolen, they get scanned when the culprit tries to resell them and you can hopefully nab him.

piako said:
Just a freaking can of worms legally.

I fail to see what's so evil about it, myself. And unless someone is going door to door and walking through your kitchen scanning your appliances, your statements sound like CT Theorist paranoia to me.

They have a range of like, maybe 10ft.

They could easily imbed them into airport checkpoints. The Justice department is probably already all over this. :p

I fail to see what's so evil about it, myself. And unless someone is going door to door and walking through your kitchen scanning your appliances, your statements sound like CT Theorist paranoia to me.

You might want to read up on the Real I.D. Act that goes into effect May of 2008 with a deadline of all the states to comply by December of 2009. As far as I remember, all the new drivers license/national I.D. cards are going to be equipt with RFIDs in them. I am against the use of RFID tech for uses such as a drivers licenses mainly because it can easily be compromised. However I am fine if its used in tracking of goods. I do believe this is an evil technology when put into the wrong hands, although you could say that about any tech out there.

You might want to read up on the Real I.D. Act that goes into effect May of 2008 with a deadline of all the states to comply by December of 2009. As far as I remember, all the new drivers license/national I.D. cards are going to be equipt with RFIDs in them. I am against the use of RFID tech for uses such as a drivers licenses mainly because it can easily be compromised. However I am fine if its used in tracking of goods. I do believe this is an evil technology when put into the wrong hands, although you could say that about any tech out there.

Okay, I suppose I can give you that point, it can be beaten easily enough. But I think I'm gonna stick to the good side of it. I think the potential benefits of this idea far outweigh the bad in this particular scenario.

They have a range of like, maybe 10ft.
So you want RFID in your money? RFID confirmed in money
So you want RFID in your clothes? RFID confirmed plans in clothes
So you want your kids "tagged?" Confirmed plans
So you want to pay your bar tab with RFID? Confirmed
So you want RFID in your tires? Guess what, CONFIRMED!!!

All you people who think I'm crazy remember what I've said to you when shit starts getting bad. Do you even realize there's plans to put all American's in forced labor camps if the economy crashes? Hey I could give you a link to that too if I wanted.

All you people who think I'm crazy remember what I've said to you when shit starts getting bad. Do you even realize there's plans to put all American's in forced labor camps if the economy crashes? Hey I could give you a link to that too if I wanted.

Could you?

So you want RFID in your money?
So you want RFID in your clothes?
So you want your kids "tagged?"
So you want to pay your bar tab with RFID?
So you want RFID in your tires?

Sorry, but from where I'm sitting, you're a bloody kook, man. You're seriously going to trip out over this crap?!
--The supposed RFID you claim in that article wasn't even technological in origin. It was from a damned protective paint layer. The feds just had a little mix up that was quickly understood and corrected.
--You have a problem with companies tracking inventory with RFID tags? Not like they go around putting your personal credit info on there, ya know. Even the company putting them in can't make them work for tracking customers. How is anyone else going to?
--So kids are threatened by abduction. Why shouldn't we keep track of them? And I don't see any mention of the tags being mandatory, either. Since kids failing academic standards is constantly on the rise, why not keep them from skipping class?
--And your forth shock-and-awe statement comes from a company spitballing ideas for how to use implant chips? Nothing they mentioned using them for is even in use as of now.
--The tires are mandated to be tracked by the government for research and failure prevention. The RFID tags don't even contain any information besides the tire's info, like serial and lot numbers.

Your "confirmed" arguments all fall by the wayside. Besides all that, you're quoting articles from a CT wack-job web-zine? Please. Shock "journalism" never did much for me, nor anyone else with a working brain. Stop sniffing the solvents and lose the tin-foil hat, man. Just because you think differently from everyone else doesn't make you a "free-thinker", or a "revolutionary", or that you can see through "the Man's games". Sometimes, it just makes you a gullible moron.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who are afraid of being tacked by RFID carry their cellphone with them wherever they go..........:p

Back