Revolution Info?

Sounds like a bunch made-up BS from some fan or PR rep to me. There's just too many hype style keywords, drawn out marketing type of descriptions, and meaningless comparisons used for it to be anything close to real.
Are they emails, or commercials and magazine articles?

retardedchicken said:
"He also got a hold of never before seen scans of the new Killer Instinct game exclusive for Revolution"
I'm not stating this as fact, but I'm pretty sure Rare left with the Killer Instinct intellectual property. It's been long time since I've read the article containing that info, but it was on IGN back when MS purchased Rare. I'm pretty sure that Banjo and Kazooie went with that as well.

Playing a fighting game with that controller is not something I would look forward to anyway.

Playing a fighting game with that controller is not something I would look forward to anyway

I think it would be hella fun if done properly.

martinje said:
Are you really that impress? The X-Box did a great job doing HL2 and the system is 5 years old or so. Why wait for the Revo just get an X-box dude.

The xbox version looked god awful.

I run a site called RevolutionInsider.info

After working in this industry for a number of years I have been pulling all the strings possible and taking only personally verified or official information. Not a plug for my site but just about everything that is known and confirmed about specs can be found there in either the news or the FAQ's.

The site is less than a month old and is just starting to grow, but I dissect two Nintendo patents one of which covers displacement mapping. Displacement mapping on the Revolution is part of what will allow it to produce stunning visuals on par with the 360/PS3.

I personally would not believe those emails. I have a number of close personal friends who are developers and are working on Revo titles as we speak and they are working on modified GC dev stations. Basically they are hammering out the basic design and are working on tech notes from Nintendo about wireless capabilities and control issues, they are the first to say that even they do not know much more than what has been made public. Of course they have some inside info that they are not able to disclose, but nothing like what was posted here.

Json23 said:
Yeah, well, I'm really not seeing how, and I'll guess we'll all just have to wait and see, considering that none of us know what doing it properly would mean.

Fighting games are one genre I don't see that contoller excelling at, and frankly I'm not really all that excited about it in general. It's going to have to be proven before I buy in.

Kahnvex said:
Yeah, well, I'm really not seeing how, and I'll guess we'll all just have to wait and see, considering that none of us know what doing it properly would mean.

Fighting games are one genre I don't see that contoller excelling at, and frankly I'm not really all that excited about it in general. It's going to have to be proven before I buy in.
I'm sure most fighting games will use the shell. I can't imagine a good control scheme with the wand controller.

reading through this thread is the first i'd heard of Valve working on HL2 for the revolution. i had already pretty much decided that i was going to bypass the 360 and PS3 and go straight to the revolution, but this just locks that decision in.

i am going to have some surplus money this spring and was already planning on setting some of it aside to buy a revolution and (probably) as DS. but, now I hear that Nintendo has a new GameBoy in the works. Any ideas on how far off the new GB is, or its price point? Also, anyone know if the new GB will have backwards compatibility and a link-up with the revolution vis-a-vis the GBA-GCN link?

svet-am said:
reading through this thread is the first i'd heard of Valve working on HL2 for the revolution. i had already pretty much decided that i was going to bypass the 360 and PS3 and go straight to the revolution, but this just locks that decision in.

i am going to have some surplus money this spring and was already planning on setting some of it aside to buy a revolution and (probably) as DS. but, now I hear that Nintendo has a new GameBoy in the works. Any ideas on how far off the new GB is, or its price point? Also, anyone know if the new GB will have backwards compatibility and a link-up with the revolution vis-a-vis the GBA-GCN link?

Nintendo will always have a new GB in the works. They started work on the Revolution the second that the Gamecube hit the streets. The Gameboy is at least 2 years off, I'd be willing to bet. Reason being? The DS is flying off the shelves right now, and they need to focus their software on that for the next couple years to maximize its profits. The DS and the Revolution will have that wireless link capability, as already stated by Nintendo. Valve is only RUMOURED to be working on HL2 for the Rev, as they have taken interest in the system. Nothing has been confirmed, and likely won't be until E3 in May.

Kahnvex, the shell will probably be used for fighting games, but we'll have to see what solution they come up with for Smash Bros - I'm sure it will be a good one, that can put all this speculation to rest. Bruenor, I'll be looking forward to checking out your site. Do read all of those e-mails, though - you'll find that even if this guy is bullshitting, it has to be one of the best bullshits ever. He goes into incredible detail on some upcoming games, some of which haven't even been announced.

steviep said:
Bruenor, I'll be looking forward to checking out your site. Do read all of those e-mails, though - you'll find that even if this guy is bullshitting, it has to be one of the best bullshits ever. He goes into incredible detail on some upcoming games, some of which haven't even been announced.

I will, but I take stuff like that with a grain of salt... people go to unimaginable lengths to produce fake shit. Check out Slashdot today abut the fake National Geographic Kids piece for a good example.

Right now, I know of three games in development that have not been spoken of anywhere for the Revo... and I know damn well that I'm not saying a word because it would so quickly get traced back to me it wouldn't be funny. Even if this guy is legit, he will soon be facing some pretty major fire from all parties involved. And that is why I say he is not legit. No one who would be privy to inside info is stupid enought to jeopardize it all by posting it on the net... for what gain? So some anonymous kids can think you are "teh shiznit"? No thanks, I'll keep my connections and and credibility and wait until things can be brought to light properly.

When IGN did their piece interviewing a number of developers I was surprised at how close some of those guys came to crossing the line, it simply isn't worth it.

They can displace all they want....but without 720p at least....they need to do more to grab me as a customer.

Tiny said:
They can displace all they want....but without 720p at least....they need to do more to grab me as a customer.

HD isn't going to make or break this thing until HDTVs are a standard, not an option. 2010, we'll talk.

Json23 said:

what exactly is "done properly"

i think a fighting game would be a bit weird if you ask me..

but fighting games are boring as hell.. so i don't care..

steviep said:
HD isn't going to make or break this thing until HDTVs are a standard, not an option. 2010, we'll talk.
For us households that already happen to be 75% HD enabled, we feel differently on that opine.

Now that we've been to the mountain theres not a whole lot of reason to go back. One of the reasons I'm having so much trouble enjoying my cube right now. I'll take good 480p, but it had better be widescreen.

Kahnvex said:
For us households that already happen to be 75% HD enabled, we feel differently on that opine.

Now that we've been to the mountain theres not a whole lot of reason to go back. One of the reasons I'm having so much trouble enjoying my cube right now. I'll take good 480p, but it had better be widescreen.

75% of US households have HD TVs? I highly doubt that. I would believe 75% of new TVs are HD, and about 10-20% of the US have HD TVs.

Kahnvex said:

75% HD?? LOL!!!!!!

dude... just LOL.. that's all

i doubt that dude i'm sure it's well under 50%..

anyway.. I wish i had the money for an HD tv.. all i got is a 15inch TV :( :(

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
75% HD?? LOL!!!!!!

dude... just LOL.. that's all

i doubt that dude i'm sure it's well under 50%..

anyway.. I wish i had the money for an HD tv.. all i got is a 15inch TV :( :(

he meant 75% hdtv enabled in his household I believe...

Attean said:

Thats how I read it as well.

I see that as the man here has X number of TVs (lets say 4 just to be easy) and has 75% of them HD (that would be 3 HD sets if he has 4)

Still I think you worry to much about graphics.

Attean said:
Thanks for reading that right :)

I would have said US if I'd meant the country, I forget that proper writing goes out the window on the net most times. So, poor choice of wording on my part.:(

My house is 2/3 HD and I plan to have the living room 32" Vega replaced soon enough with something, probably a flat something or other.

US HD market penetration is well under 15% total.

This isn't about me being a graphics whore(I'm currently playing through FFX-2 on my LCD, but with component on the PS2), I just don't want the added trouble of displaying non-HD content and the artifacts that the TV itself will bring into play. I might buy a Plasma or LCD, to add to the LCD I game on now.

We all know that taking a fixed pixel display out of it's native rez can make the graphics look unduly awful. If I could game with my cube on the analog Vega in the front room, s-vid would be no big deal. Can't do that, thats the missus' domain. So I have to use s-video on my LCD, looks like shit, even though the graphics are fine.

I'll be happy with 480p, but native 720p would just be icing on the cake, especially if I go with another flat panel. Having component with the Revolution from the get go will alleviate a lot of the problems. If I can get a sweet deal on a clearance ED Plasma, that would be the ideal choice for the Rev if they lock the output at 480p.

Oh and Rancid, the only reason I have 2 HD's is because I have a PC/HDTV dual purpose LCD, and I scored a 26" CRT new in the box from Target during a 50% off clearance. It was $350

By no means am I big spender.

I am still HDTVless.. :( I am waiting for PS3 to come out before i get one, since prices should fall even more by then :D

I believe it has been said that 480p widescreen will be the standard on the Revolution, especially from all first party titles. That said, we still have no reason to believe that with the digital AV port which WILL be present (i.e. component for sure and possible VGA/HDMI cables) some dev (second or third party, maybe even first party) could surprise us with some 720p capable games. If the XBox could occasionally do it (even the PS2's GT4 had 1080i), I'm sure unless there's missing video hardware that some devs will choose 720p as well. HD penetration in North America is well under 15% still, and won't be above 50-66% until around 2009.

HDTV U.S. penetration is at 13% of all homes in 2005

• HDTV sets and monitors now represent the majority of sales of all TV’s with screen sizes of 40+ inches.

• 15.6 million DTV unit sales projections by 2006, with approximately 85% of those sales going toward HDTV products (13.3 million).

• According to a recent national survey,* 27% of Adults indicate that they are likely to buy a HDTV set within the next year.

• Retail prices of HDTV monitors and equipment is dropping at the rate of 2% per month.

• The price of integrated HDTV sets (includes HDTV tuner), monitors and set-top boxes have dropped 20% in just over a year.

Source: HDTV Magazine, July 2005 and CEA (Consumer Electronics Association) White Paper (“Washington Insider Series: The HDTV Transition”). * Harris Interactive

I just think it is funny that everyone lauded MS for not including HD-DVD, and yet no equal uproar over Nintendo for not going HD; instead all I heard was how Nintendo isn't going after "that market", or "they are about the gameplay, not the graphics". Though I don't understand why graphics and gameplay seem to be exclusive to each other in a lot of peoples minds.

Tiny said:

Displacement mapping has NOTHING to do with resolution, I think you are severely confused.

Displacement mapping allows a scene normally requiring millions of polygons to be cut back to thousands of polygons and retain all of the detail. What this means is that much more power is freed up on the console for other processing, and also including allowing developers to increase resolutions to HD levels without taking a hit elsewhere.

Here is my brief explaination of displacement mapping: http://www.revolutioninsider.info/content/view/17/2/

All Nintendo has stated was that HD is not a REQUIREMENT as is the case with 360/PS3, developers are more than welcome to create a game of any resolution. The original GC supported progressive scan and the Revo will as well and we still do not know what other resolutions. Nintendo knows that games are going to have to look good on any current or near-future displays... why everyone wants to think Nintendo is at such a base level of understanding and wouldn't think of any of this is just insane to me. Believe it or not they have been the driving force in gaming for over *20* years... they do actually know what they are doing.

I know what displacement mapping is.

I think you are the one not understanding.

Oh, and please provide a link with a press release from Nintendo saying what HD rez they will support. Ok?

Tiny said:
I know what displacement mapping is.

I think you are the one not understanding.

Oh, and please provide a link with a press release from Nintendo saying what HD rez they will support. Ok?

Please explain how I am wrong in anything I stated, I'd be interested. Displacement mapping cuts the number of polys procedd drastically opening up large amounts of processing and graphic processing to allow for it to be utilized elsewhere such as higher resolutions.

I know of three games in development right now for the Revolution and one of them does have HD resolutions and is running on a current dev system which is basically a modified GC dev system. I cannot post anything or give any specifics for obvious reasons, I won't argue with you but you will see that Nintendo does indeed have very solid plans and resolution will be a minor issue when all is said and done. They will be revealing the system and full details at E3 in a few months. Wait until then before coming to your own conclusions.

bruenor said:
I know of three games in development right now for the Revolution and one of them does have HD resolutions and is running on a current dev system which is basically a modified GC dev system. I cannot post anything or give any specifics for obvious reasons, I won't argue with you but you will see that Nintendo does indeed have very solid plans and resolution will be a minor issue when all is said and done. They will be revealing the system and full details at E3 in a few months.
orly_owl.jpg

:)

I've always been interested whether Nintendo's said "no HD" as in "no HD is necessary for games" or "the system is incapable of outputting HD in any case, due to missing video encoder". I've always leaned toward the first, because as it stands, as long as ATI's GPU is decent and component output is available, it should be possible to do it, especially since the XBox 1 did it in some cases. That said, it's hard for me to believe anything until I see it, as is always the case. So Bruenor, I will anxiously await E3 to answer my above question :)

That said, I still welcome 480p widescreen (i.e. DVD resolution) as a standard, since that will look absolutely fine, even on a big screen.

Have you seen the difference between 480p and 720p/1080i?

I turned the resolution down to 480p on my 360 just to see what it looked like on my 51" hdtv. Utter crap compared to 1080i.

cb9fl said:
Have you seen the difference between 480p and 720p/1080i?

I turned the resolution down to 480p on my 360 just to see what it looked like on my 51" hdtv. Utter crap compared to 1080i.

I've seen the difference as well and the leap from 480P to 720P is quite dramatic.

480p was easy to do on the GC, it was purely a cost cutting measure to remove it since most users were not utilizing it. All I can say is that the dev systems (which are modified GC dev systems) are capable of more. Say what you will, like I said it will be revealed in a little over 100 days now.

Nintendo has NOT said that the Revo cannot do HD. Nintendo said that they are not making HD a requirement for developers and not a whole lot more was said publicly. Also while HD is impressive and it is hard to "go back" to regular resolutions you also have to realize that HD adoption is still 4 years away from even being made the new standard and has less than 20% penetration right now with a single digit percentage of them actually being used with an HD signal. Another thing people are glossing over is the Japanese factor. In Japan HD is much more prevalent and Nintendo is well aware of the issue, again, to think they are blind to this is just silly.

But they have certainly made a lot of mistakes, of which they were aware of as well - don't forget that (i.e. online gaming this generation, for instance... cartridges last generation, for instance). Of course they had reasons, and good reasons for both instances - nevertheless many saw them as mistakes.

bruenor said:
Nintendo said that they are not making HD a requirement for developers and not a whole lot more was said publicly.

That is the KEY issue with me. Everyone else looks at that and says "oh, well that just means devs don't HAVE to use it, but there is nothing stopping them from doing it".
At the same time, there is nothing telling the devs to use it. MS (aside from PGR3 for some reason), has made it a MINIMUM! MINIMUM! AS IN BASE STANDARD! To be NO LESS THEN 720p.

Anything less then that in gaming is *puke* to me now.

bruenor said:
Also while HD is impressive and it is hard to "go back" to regular resolutions you also have to realize that HD adoption is still 4 years away from even being made the new standard and has less than 20% penetration right now with a single digit percentage of them actually being used with an HD signal. Another thing people are glossing over is the Japanese factor. In Japan HD is much more prevalent and Nintendo is well aware of the issue, again, to think they are blind to this is just silly.

The rest of your post was just more words then needed to say "hey, not everyone has it so why support it". :rolleyes:

Yeah, we'll see if it's puke when it comes out. BTW, Sony isn't REQUIRING HD either, for PS3 games. MS should stop setting concrete lines for everything (including HD) and let devs push the system and include the features they want, not what MS wants.

I'm glad that MS set a standard (or forced one as the case may be) Theres nothing bad about setting the bar higher in terms of video output quality and cresting the wave of HD adoption that is going to be happening during this generation of consoles lifespan.

But like I said, as long as there is at least a 480p widescreen option, I'll be sated.

If the 360 didn't work with standard TV's that would be one thing, but not taking advantage of something that has no downside as shown on the 360 isn't something to piss and moan about. I'll bet if Nintendo was forcing Devs to use 720p and had a different opinion of it, you would too Stevie.

You can bet your ass that even though Sony hasn't set a standard of graphcial output they will be pushing for HD resolutions on all their games. The reason we all give the big N a hard time is because they have spoken out against HD adoption.

We'll all just see I spose'

I find it incredibly strange that Nintendo is so lethargic with high-def consider that their main market, Japan, is way, way, way ahead of everyone with HDTV penetration. I'm hoping developers for both PS3 and Rev opt for supporting HD more often than not.

Neurofreeze said:
I find it incredibly strange that Nintendo is so lethargic with high-def consider that their main market, Japan, is way, way, way ahead of everyone with HDTV penetration. I'm hoping developers for both PS3 and Rev opt for supporting HD more often than not.

And this is exactly what I said, even though Tiny states it was just a bunch of words... ugh. Like I said, when people see the final product their opinion will change and they will quickly realize that Nintendo has a firm grasp on the changing technology involved with gaming right now. It is times like these when I wish NDA's and lawyers didn't exist so I could just explain why Tiny and the others with similar false ideas could be proven wrong. The best I can say is that Sony has overstated capabilities as always claiming 120FPS output when even the fastest output on the system (HDMI) has no way of outputting that at the resolutions claimed nor even the best HDTV able to display it, and they are claiming dual output at that... not a snowballs chance in hell. Do the math for even a single screen at 120FPS @ 1080p and you will quickly see it is B.S. because nothing could handle that not even the PS3 and this has been proven time and time again since the claim was made. Nintendo has, as always, understated capabilities and not even made it a technical issue and what WAS said about HD was less than a few sentences that were blown out of proportion on teh intarweb. Keeping secrets is a pain in the ass.

I'll respectfully bow out of this discussion, because it isn't going to go anywhere but down from here and the final info will be out soon enough. Tiny and co. keep an eye out in May for E3. Peace and chicken grease.

steviep said:
Yeah, we'll see if it's puke when it comes out. BTW, Sony isn't REQUIRING HD either, for PS3 games. MS should stop setting concrete lines for everything (including HD) and let devs push the system and include the features they want, not what MS wants.

wow. Steveip I hope you read your post again and realize what you just wished for.

Back