reviving my aria - a couple of questions

Calpis

Gawd
so as soon as i figure out which T-froce to put the QP, i plan on putting my old asus mobo back into the aria and using it as a file server of sorts. Looking at making it as quiet and as cold as possible since it will be constantly on along with my QP.

Available parts:
asus a7n8x vm/400
thermaltake slim volcano 10+
corsair platinum pc3200 512mb

Need to buy parts:
xp-mobile 2400+ 35w or 45w @stock (would like to undervolt but cant with this board)
seagate 5400rpm 40gb or
a notebook hard drive
a 5.25 multi function panel (temp/fan controller)

what fan replacement would you guys recommend for the psu? Looking for something thats as quiet or quieter with much much more airflow.
Is there a correct way to install that damned optional fan bracket?I put the rail on like psu just like the instructions said to but the rest of the parts (L bracket, tube, long screw and thumb nut) are like wtf? I figured i could micky mouse it but i wanted to see if there was an absolute correct way to stick a 80mm fan onto it? I want to remove the fan off the volcano and use a quieter 80mm or 92mm fan attached to the rail.
Lastly, are there any mounts or enclosures to securely place a notebook hard drive into the 3.5 drive bay?

Calpis said:
what fan replacement would you guys recommend for the psu? Looking for something thats as quiet or quieter with much much more airflow.
Sorry, those are contradictory terms. :) Noise is tied inextricably with airflow. At least 90% of the noise depends on the RPMs and size of the fan.

That said, a low speed Japanaflo 120mm would be your best bet. Smaller hub and the made in Japan models have less motor whine at low speeds than Delta/Top Motor/GlobeFan <- Antec fan. The Antec fan is rated at .36 or .35A, which is a medium speed fan, so anything less will help. Nexus is supposed to be the quietest by SPCReview ratings, but that is chiefly due to it pushing no air.

You get alot better airflow and reduced noise if your remove either or both the honeycomb grill on the back and the fan grill. Just watch your fingers if you remove both. The honeycomb is the worst offender.

Not sure about the bracket. I would halfass it, if you can't figure out. Who cares, if it is just going to sit as a file server.

Don't think there is a 3.5" -> 2.5" adapter bracket. You would not believe how small and light notebook drives are! Think one half dollar and a credit card. Doublesided tape would be what I would use.

sleepeeg3 said:
Don't think there is a 3.5" -> 2.5" adapter bracket. You would not believe how small and light notebook drives are! Think one half dollar and a credit card. Doublesided tape would be what I would use.
You mean one of these? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812116211
It even comes with a power & IDE cable adapter. I've been meaning to pick one of these up "just to have around".

No, but there are some sites that use them. I think I found a site using shopping.yahoo.com. jab-tech used to sell the 80mm ones, not sure about anything higher.

There is absolutley no question, in mind, there is a difference. At least the two I had for comparison. The Chinaflow had an annoying clacking at low speeds. Probably just two different types of grease between the two, but whatever it is, at low speeds you would notice it.

Just stay away from Delta. Bearing noise and fin designs are the worst.

Back