Revision E OC discussion thread

well, crap.

i'd have an overclock to add to your venice 3000+ table, but the digital camera pictures i took of the opn are blurry. i can't make it out

did you write it down on a piece of paper?

and put up the picture, someone might be able to read it :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
did you write it down on a piece of paper?

and put up the picture, someone might be able to read it :D
nope, i didn't. i thought about it, but then decided not to because i snapped a couple pictures. now i know i'm not a photographer, but i figured at least one would have turned out decent.

i uploaded the set of 4 pictures i took at http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/aaronfitz/ . it looks like 430 could be readable if scaled down to a small size combined with a set of glasses or a magnifying glass. is it really worth it though? :p

edit: i just keep on showing the stupid side of myself on this forum. oh well :D

Uh yeah, talk about bad focus...guess you'll just have to take the heatsink off and check. ^_^

it does seem like that

for future reference, there should be a button that looks like a flower on the camera to enable and disable macro mode. this will let the camera focus on things really close. try it :D

Quick question. Is the 24 pin atx plug absolutley needed on the asus sli deluxe if you're not running sli? I just got another 3000+ venice and this mobo, but i cant find my 20-24pin adapter....and I dont wanna wait til monday for fed ex to send one. :mad:

as long as you plug the connector into the right plugs, you should be fine... just dont get it backwards or youll see your board go up in smoke.

SpoogeMonkey said:
Quick question. Is the 24 pin atx plug absolutley needed on the asus sli deluxe if you're not running sli? I just got another 3000+ venice and this mobo, but i cant find my 20-24pin adapter....and I dont wanna wait til monday for fed ex to send one. :mad:

Not certain how it works on the Asus, but my DFI doesn't like 20-pin supplies for shit, adapter or no adapter.

i think it's mainly the dfi having 20pin issues..

monkey, you can always try.. if it doesn't work quite right, so be it.

Right on. I have my brother in law bringing an adapter up to me on saturday, and my 2nd 6600gt wont be here till next week. But I really want to get this new mobo up and running, w/scythe ninja hsf and a 70cfm 120 fan, so the wife will stay off mine....she's getting the other 3000 and the neo2 plat mobo.

(cf)Eclipse said:
for future reference, there should be a button that looks like a flower on the camera to enable and disable macro mode. this will let the camera focus on things really close. try it :D
I actually took one of those pictures with macro mode on. Oh well.

Here's the overclock I've pretty much settled on:

Comments? Load temps shoot up to about 55C. I figure that's low enough, as the default motherboard shutdown temperature is 75C, and that should be set conservatively to prevent any damage to the chip. Right now it's on the stock hsf with a grand total of one case fan.

When I get some extra cash to change the heatsink and add some case fans, I'll get all of the printing off of the top of the die and actually submit a faster overclock for the database.

55C on a Venice? With all of 1.425V and 2.5GHz? Meep. It's safe enough, just rather high.

ashmedai said:
55C on a Venice? With all of 1.425V and 2.5GHz? Meep. It's safe enough, just rather high.
ntune is wrong... always wrong. hahaha, look at cpu-z, probably 1.6v in the bios

(cf)Eclipse said:
ntune is wrong... always wrong. hahaha, look at cpu-z, probably 1.6v in the bios

And if true, I'd be going "um, why do you need 1.6V for only 2.5GHz?" instead. ;)

because he has a 3000+. i have seen quite a few have trouble breaking 2.5ghz.. one actually topped out under 2.2ghz. why they haven't posted in the db like i asked them to (esp after i helped them out for a considerable length of time), i do not know.. and it makes me angry because the results are now skewed.

Me and my luck. ^_^

It'd be nice if there was accurate information on maximum safe voltages too...eventually I'm going to have to bump mine up a bit just to see if I can get 2.9 stable long enough to verify it.

depends on the core, they're all different :(

what is fine for one might kill another way quicker than expected.

(cf)Eclipse said:
Yep. Configured so that the CPU can take up to 1.6v as it needs.

ashmedai said:
And if true, I'd be going "um, why do you need 1.6V for only 2.5GHz?" instead.
Why? Because this chip would only go up about 90MHz before needing more voltage. The upside for that, though, is it idles super cool at stock settings, around 20C.

(cf)Eclipse said:
because he has a 3000+. i have seen quite a few have trouble breaking 2.5ghz.. one actually topped out under 2.2ghz. why they haven't posted in the db like i asked them to (esp after i helped them out for a considerable length of time), i do not know.. and it makes me angry because the results are now skewed.
I actually had this chip stable at above 2.6GHz with an 8x multiplier, but I had to give it around 1.65V. I'm just not comfortable leaving the voltage up that high on air cooling though.

Should I lower the voltage and throttle back the clock some? Part of me wants to, but the bigger part of me doesn't want to.

EDIT: Would trying to lower the Tras on the memory yield any performance gains? Or should I just leave it be.

aaronfitz said:
I actually had this chip stable at above 2.6GHz with an 8x multiplier, but I had to give it around 1.65V. I'm just not comfortable leaving the voltage up that high on air cooling though.

Should I lower the voltage and throttle back the clock some? Part of me wants to, but the bigger part of me doesn't want to.

EDIT: Would trying to lower the Tras on the memory yield any performance gains? Or should I just leave it be.
yeah.. 1.65v is a lot, esp if temps are getting to 55c with 1.6v. i wouldn't bother

however, an alarm is going off in my head. you went from 2.5ghz at 1.6v to 2.6ghz with 1.65v? the scaling there.. is very interesting. far more mhz gain than i would expect from a bump from 1.6v to 1.65v

and tras is useless... i just leave it at 10

Ive had a horrid time of OCing my 3700 San Diego. Everyone seems to hitting at least 2750 with 1.55Vore or so. Mine isnt even prime stable @ 2600 w/ 1.6 Vcore! To stay at 2.5ghz it only wants 1.46-1.47 Vcore to be Prime95 stable, so i have left it there for now. I am wondering if my PSU is holding me back somehow, so i ordered a new Powerstream 520W which should be here tomorrow, or if not then Tuesday... I prolly got a dud OCer. I was so frustrated i even took my computer apart to remove the chipset cooler to check for enough thermal grease, and then i wiped clean and used AS5. Any ideas? I followed the guides pretty much to a T. Isolated everything individually, and still the CPU maxes out at 2500 without going past 1.6 Vcore. My temps are good (28C idle is the lowest so far, 45C Max load is the highest so far), but im just a bit nervous going that high on a brand new chip. Im a college student so i dont have $ to buy a new one :)

Stepping.jpg

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
2GB Corsair CMX1024-3200PT
Audigy 2 ZS
Coolermaster Hyper 6 Heatsink
Antec True430 PSU/Also tried MGE 600W Supercharger, no diff in OCing results, i have (an OCZ Powerstream 520 on the way!)
X800Pro flashed to X800XT (500/1000) w/ ATI Silencer 4
Samsung DVD Burner
36.7GB SATA Raptor 10K rpm
250GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

Budwise said:
Ive had a horrid time of OCing my 3700 San Diego. Everyone seems to hitting at least 2750 with 1.55Vore or so
not true, it's just that the people with cpu's like yours won't post in the db :(

Tough to fight human nature Eclipse.You're still young and idealistic. When you get old and grey like me you learn better ;) Try settting up a poll that rewards people with low scores then people will lie and claim sucky OC's heh heh

(cf)Eclipse said:
however, an alarm is going off in my head. you went from 2.5ghz at 1.6v to 2.6ghz with 1.65v? the scaling there.. is very interesting. far more mhz gain than i would expect from a bump from 1.6v to 1.65v
well, not quite. the overclock i settled on is [email protected] (284x9), but i had [email protected] (320x8) stable. increasing to 1.65v let me get a tad higher than 325x8 stable, which is just a tiny bit over 2.6ghz. so around 5mhz htt (40mhz) for 0.05v increase there.

i'm running the slightly slower overclock so i could still run the ram at 2.5-3-3-8 timings.

AMD64 venice 3000+ running at 2556 voltadge at 1.584
Air cooling i dont know my proc. codes and stuff but wutever lol

wow! someone actually read the rules and asked a question here. thanks man :D

for temps.. it kinda depends on the voltage over stock. ~50c is a good limit if you're overvolting by any noticable amount.

haha nah, I cheated and posted in both..

I was getting far above 50 degrees at stock voltage... I guess I need to upgrade the cooling If I want to keep OCing.. thanks

ouch.. reinstalling it after cleaning everything up and using a good application of as5 might go a long way

in fact, running prime to get the CPU up to 100%, i'm at 57 degrees C, at stock clock speed..

Giving this the new year's bump. One of these days, I'll OC my Socket 939 3200+ Venice CPU. :eek:

Anytime.

Reposted.

Now that I have a kickass cpu, a half decent gpu, if anyone can offer tips on overclocking a modem, cuz there ain't no high speed out here in the wilderness, that would be cool.

:D :D

56K SLI anyone?

possibly. i should hop to it.. i had to finish something up with the ocz 3700EB that MAValpha is lending me ;)

Back