Review: Silverstone Olympia OP650

great review as always jonny.

I visited your forum regarding the 8-pin pci-e business but still have lingering questions.
I currently have the zippy 850w gaming psu but as you know it has no 8 pin pci-e connectors. Is it OK to use the 6-to-8 pin adapters to convert my connectors for the R600? If I go crossfire, I will have run out of pci express connectors (since each card has 1x8pin and 1x6 pin); I would have to convert 2 6-pin to one 8 pin --> for 2 cards, that would take out all of my 6 pin pci-e connectors right there; can I then use the IDE molex with pci-e connectors to makeup for the lack of available pci-e connectors? does this create more resistance? is it bad? did I screw myself over by jumping on the zippy and not wait for 8pin crossfire capable psu? LOL :D

Um.. yes. It was when I clicked on it several times last night.:eek:

Contact your ISP.

Is it OK to use the 6-to-8 pin adapters to convert my connectors for the R600?

Sure. Why not.

If I go crossfire, I will have run out of pci express connectors (since each card has 1x8pin and 1x6 pin); I would have to convert 2 6-pin to one 8 pin --> for 2 cards, that would take out all of my 6 pin pci-e connectors right there; can I then use the IDE molex with pci-e connectors to makeup for the lack of available pci-e connectors? does this create more resistance? is it bad? did I screw myself over by jumping on the zippy and not wait for 8pin crossfire capable psu? LOL :D

That really sucks for you that you don't even have four 6-pin connectors.

I wouldn't run Molex->6-pin->8-pin adapters, though. That's for sure.

Wait until you actually HAVE the Crossfire and the just buy another power supply. How about that?

actually the gamer edition has 4 6-pin connectors but as I said, I would run out of them if I were to do a crossfire mode. So what exactly is bad about doing molex --> 6 -->8pin?

Oh.. Duh... SEE! That's what happens when you take a post off topic! We were talking about a Silverstone OP650 review here! Not your PCI-e connector problems! :D

Ok.. Since you have four PCI-e, I would try just running with four 6-pin's and forego the 8-pin altogether.

The 6-pin fits into an 8-pin socket. And although rumors fly that using 6 instead of 8 can result in anything from "dumbed down" performance to "inability to overclock" when you run dual GPU, you're not running each GPU at full potential regardless! So I seriously doubt you'll need the extra power.

Good things come in small packages. Thanks for the review on your little website :D

Back