Lunas

[H]F Junkie
Brand new arrived today

Specs
Intel i7 5500U @ 2.4ghz with 3.0 turbo
16 gb 1600mhz ram
Amd r9 m375 4g
Seagate SSHD (Momentus XT) ST1000LM014 1tb + 8gb model

Initial thoughts were very thin and light kinda on the large size.

The screen
Not really much to say about it 0 perceptible dead pixels its is a 1080p tn display up and down viewing angles not super great side to side are better it has a matte finish it as currently setup out of the box with all the windows updates and all the updates from lenovo the blacks look a little not black and looks a little blurry.

The Shell
It is 100% plastic feels decently sturdy lots of flexing in the keyboard

Keyboard
For a company that likes to brag about the keyboards they make i have to say this is the biggest disappointment of the laptop the keys are just small enough to make it awkward to switch to. There is no reason for the 60% size layout when they had enough room for a 92% it is going to be a while before i get used to the smaller keys but overall i don't feel there is anything really standout as a pro for the keyboard.
The biggest offender is the arrow keys they shoehorned a full size arrow set in at the cost of right shift key my hands sit over the keyboard just so the right shift is missed and i get the up arrow key instead. I would have liked to see the keyboard made bigger in all 4 directions and larger key caps.

touchpad
rather large plastic feeling pad i hear glass is all the rage i don't use them very often but the worst gripe is with the software there used to be an option to when a usb motion device is plugged in the track pad will automatically be disabled this option is not to be found in the shipped version of the control software. The second gripe is the left and right buttons they are joined in the center and it feels awkward to press.

Construction
When i made my purchase i had plans on upgrading the hard drive removing the odd and using my ssd and the sshd as a storage drive in the odd bay. I had made my decision based on seeing pictures of the unit opened up. When i recieved the unit there was a deception that being the bottom panel is easily opened. There are 16 screws with locktite on them in the bottom and 3 hidden screws under the keyboard the bottom will not open with out the removal of the additional screws under the keyboard.

Battery
Not user replaceable I am not sure if the battery had some sort of factory lockout or what but when i first got the laptop it would not power on until i plugged it in the battery was fully charged in under 2 hours

Upgradeability
it is not upgrade-able at all the max ram it handles is 16gig and the slots are not user accessible. With the lenovo field manual you can find out the procedure to open this budget game box it involves 16 screws on the bottom and 3 more under the keyboard.
There is no reason to block user access to the fan filter, the odd, hdd, ram or wifi modules.

Sound
the sound is very good for a laptop no sub like the higher end models but it was louder and clearer than alot of laptops i have tried...

I will be updating this more as i use the laptop but I feel the price of this laptop should be under 800 no where near the 1200 it rsvp's

I blew out the stock install of windows to have bloat free system. And to enjoy a major pain in the ass first my oem key would not be accepted then half of the drivers needed to be loaded manually just a major pain on the up side I was playing some games on it and the enduro is kicking in correctly now and games run really well downside is hot hot hot. The combo i7 and m375 put out buckets of heat.

Update:
I am finding the keyboard is rather difficult to get used to it just does not seem to have the right spacing the key size is similar to how a regular keyboard would be but they are sort of too close together...

Still puts out a lot of heat while gaming hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold hand over the vent outlet my temps i'm reaching are 82-87C I am tempted to pull the laptop apart and put some as5 on it to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Back