Reverse scaling in windows?

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
I went from 27" to 32" at 1440p recently. I knew the pixel density difference, but am curious if there is a way to "fake" (is that the right word) screen real estate.

What I am looking for is reverse scaling to make things a bit smaller. If we can get bigger I see no reason they can't get smaller. Why does it seems like this is a big deal/not a thing?

Yes, you can run Nvidia DSR to a "fake" higher resolution (e.g. 4K) and that will make things smaller. But it will also be pretty blurry so may not be worth it.

I remember trying this before, and some apps will exactly scale with the resolution increase resulting in no effective change.

It's not a thing because people aren't clamoring for worse looking displays. "1x" scaling is bad enough.

It's not a thing because people aren't clamoring for worse looking displays. "1x" scaling is bad enough.
Well my hope is that it would look better? Because things are essentially being shrunk.

Well my hope is that it would look better? Because things are essentially being shrunk.

To borrow a phrase, there's no replacement for displacement. It's just doesn't work that well for text and productivity apps. I tried dsr for Excel, and it sucks. Excel looks great on 4K @ 100% scaling though.

Back