Reverse CPU cooler?

Cherry Dude

Weaksauce
Hi there

Sooo does anyone have experience reversing the flow of CPU cooler in a small form factor? - to intake from bottem through radiator, and exhaust out top?

I see some post saying it improves temps, and looking at my Cryorig C7 crammed in between RAM and motherboard components, it seems like it might help quite a bit.
Unfortunatly it is not possible to reverse the C7, so I would like to hear your thoughts before throwing money at a Cooltek LP53 (for radiator) and a Noctua NF-A14.

Best regards the Cherry Dude

Last edited:
sucking fresh cold air from outside the case will always be better than sucking hot air from in the case. my gpu is watercooled and if I reverse my fan so it is using air from inside the case the gpu temp goes up 5-7C and my case temp stays the same. if I have it sucking in fresh air from outside of the case it drops that 5-7C and my case temp goes up 1C. so in a sff case, case air temp will go up a bit but the component will run cooler. hope that all makes sense.

Have to say, I'm a bit confused.

Ok, I can see why you can't just flip the fan on a Cryorig C7.

But that isn't a waterblock, or on a radiator. Why would you want to flip the direction of the fan on a C7? That's going to be pulling from inside the case no matter what you do. Really, I think you'd be better served looking at the airflow through your case rather than trying to just flip the fan on the heatsink. No matter what way you flip the fan on the CPU heatsink, it's always pulling from inside the case.

And what is your radiator cooling? Or do you mean heat sink and I'm just not familiar with your terminology? Radiator usually implies a water loop in my experience.

In SFF cases, if there are vents on the side that allow air to flow toward the CPU easily AND the heatsink fan is close to a vent, then it can be beneficial to other components in your case (VRMs, GPU, etc.) to flip the fan so that hot air is exhausted through the vent above the heatsink, and cold air is drawn in from the side vents over motherboard components and into the heatsink. Your CPU temperature might go up a few degrees, but other components should drop in temperature considerably.

In a non-optimum configuration, it'll give little or no benefit, and may have more of a negative effect.

In any case, it'll depend on the layout, and the best way to find out if it benefits you is to try it yourself.

Sorry for not being more specifik, Nobu you hit the nail head on.
Will have to take a closer loke and a lot of planning with my case then.

Thanks all of you

Back