Revenge of the Aerogate 2 (the second)

titan151

Weaksauce
I have a strange :eek: problem that I can't figure out. The other day I decided to replace my Aerogate 2 fan controller as I toasted my old one. I shorted some of the pins to it. It had two dead fan connections anyway so wasn't a big loss. I got a new one for cheap and went to put it in. When I hooked it up and booted the PC the aerogate lit up for a second then the PC shut off. I thought it was defective so I took it back. Got new one and "bam" same problem. Hooked it up to another PC and it worked fine. So this would lead me to think the problem is with my power supply. Thing is it powers all my components rock solid but will shut off if I connect the aerogate 2. I tried disconnecting almost everything and it still couldn't handle the aerogeate. I used several different connectors from every wire branch and that failed to solve the problem. I have a different fan controller and that works fine. I guess after toasting one aerogate my PSU refuses to power another. I measured the voltage ouput and compared it to that of another cheap PSU and they were similer (12.3 v / 5.1 v), except the cheap PSU powered the aerogate. I tried putting a load on it and some other things but still no go. I did find that I could get it to light up if I only connected the 5 volt connections. So I can assume that the problem is with the 12 volt output.

I am thinkng that the short protection within the PSU has somehow become more restrictive after toasting the first aerogate. In the past I have done all kinds of unspeakable things with power supplies and have never had any poroblems. :D Any body have any ideas? I know this should probally go in the PSU section but I find the people in this forum are more capable of answering this type of question.

Back