Revamped X-Fi Series???

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
2,036
A friend wants to buy the soundcard I have (X-Fi XtremeMusic), along with the speakers I have (Altec Lansing MX5021).

Scan.co.uk use to sell both of these but when looking at their x-fi range, the XtremeMusic was missing. I emailed them on my friends behalf and this is their response...

This is down to the range of cards being revamped and tweaked slightly as the cards are in the process of being updated on the website once we've got confirmation of delivery of the new cards.

As such it looks like the older versions of the cards are being phased out and replaced with the newer ones.

Best Regards
I would like to know what tweaks have been implemented into the new design? What's the difference between the old XtremeMusic cards and the new ones? Should my friend wait for the newer revisions to come out or buy one of the old versions from another retailer?

Thanks for any help
 
since they told you that, ask them if they can send you to documentation about the new ones.

i havnt heard anything myself about it... yet.
 
Creative may be scaling the card down as they did with the XtremeGamer, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

My advice is to have your friend wait. Whatever's happening, it'll be happening very soon, albeit it's probably a very minor thing. Creative isn't big on hard launching products, so I highly doubt this is the X-Fi 2.
 
since they told you that, ask them if they can send you to documentation about the new ones.

i havnt heard anything myself about it... yet.


I asked and got this reply...

Sorry but at the moment we do not have a definative list of the differences between the new and old cards I'm afraid.

Best Regards,

:(
 
Sounds like tech support shooting off his mouth. Instead he is saying they have been tweaked an this and that...LOL. Funny. All the info out there say this X-gmaer is just the same as the X-music..if there was tweaks involved it would be plastered all over everything;)
 
I am pretty sure there would have been talk at Computex about new X-fi cards from Creative, but I have read nothing about this new rumor...
 
Whats wrong with the current line-up? Other than the absolute shit driver support?
 
Creative did some shuffling around with the X-Fi a while ago already.. They seemed to have dropped the XtremeMusic card, and added some other different versions of the X-Fi card in.

Its very unclear exactly what the differences are.. I believe the XtremeMusic card was one of the few cards that could use the front bay panel if bought separately, and so they dropped it, and reshuffled their lines with different variations of the X-Fi cards.

Also, they did some really odd tweaking with DTS decoding support, and the different mode switching with the different revisions that are out now.

I hear the new cards don't actually switch between modes(entertainment, gaming, audio creation) anymore. Anyone with a newer card X-Fi can comment if they can manually switch between different modes on the card?
 
Creative did some shuffling around with the X-Fi a while ago already.. They seemed to have dropped the XtremeMusic card, and added some other different versions of the X-Fi card in.

Its very unclear exactly what the differences are.. I believe the XtremeMusic card was one of the few cards that could use the front bay panel if bought separately, and so they dropped it, and reshuffled their lines with different variations of the X-Fi cards.

Also, they did some really odd tweaking with DTS decoding support, and the different mode switching with the different revisions that are out now.

I hear the new cards don't actually switch between modes(entertainment, gaming, audio creation) anymore. Anyone with a newer card X-Fi can comment if they can manually switch between different modes on the card?

Ya, it is weird what they have done. No first hand experience, but I have heard similar as you stated.

Also, the Xtrememusic was the same card as all the others just without the front panel and XRAM. All the cards were the same except for the optional XRAM and if they had a frontpanel. Now with these XtremeGamer and XtremeAudio there are more differences and things. Very odd, why could they not just keep it as it was! I still love my xtrememusic :)
 
Back
Top