Reusing the Apogee's backplate

Kaldskryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I had to remove the backplate from a dead motherboard (so I could return it), and it wasn't exactly easy because the foam pads were extremely sticky. I ended up prying the backplate off with a screwdriver, and in the process the foam pads got torn apart.

I got a replacement board so it's time to set things up again. Is it a problem to re-use the backplate without the foam in place? If so, what should I use instead? I'd like to avoid using anything that sticky again :p

Go get some craft foam from any craft store. Or, the ghetto way, line it with electrical tape ;)

I recommend the second way XD.

In my own case, I never removed the protector sheer from the foam pad so it will never stick to motherboards. Since the motherboard tray will hold the backplate in place, it's not a issue :)

In that case, just use electrical tape and be done since it's a hidden part anyway.

thanks, but it seems I now have more serious problem with my apogee...

One of the barbs didn't go in very easy, and after trying again with the other barb I decided that one of the holes wasn't properly tapped or something. Being lazy, I just forced a barb in there anyway but wasn't able to tighten it down quite as far as the other one, so there might not have been a seal around the O-ring. It wasn't a problem the first time I set up my loop, but now that I'm leak testing for the second time, I've spotted a leak there. It appears to be coming from between the barb and the apogee rather than between the tube and the barb.

NICX has a no-returns policy on wc stuff... so do I have to buy a new waterblock or is there some way to seal things up without taking everything apart again?

I think you screwed the barb not straight so you are cross-tapping. Try to remove it fully then rescrew.

If it is a plastic barb, toss it in the garbage can and use a pair of metal barbs instead.

I think you screwed the barb not straight so you are cross-tapping. Try to remove it fully then rescrew.

If it is a plastic barb, toss it in the garbage can and use a pair of metal barbs instead.

Are there metal barbs that fit the apogee? My local store sells dangerden fittings but I didn't think they were the same thread type.

I tried three times with three different barbs and each time the barb wouldn't go in nice&easy so I was pretty sure it was the apogee, not the barb. But I'll try anyway.

Well if its a plastic barb just force it like last time if it doesnt thread right. Put some teflon tape on it and screw it in there as hard as possible. :D

I pulled out a wrench to tighten the barb all the way down and it works like a charm right now. No leaks anywhere. Thanks for your input, all.

Back