Reusable TIM?

We await with bated breath! :)

How sad is it that 99% of us will trust a dude on a forum who has been a member for 13 years but has only accumulated 700 posts [no offense, housecat lol], over a well known YouTuber with a successful business in addition... Saad sad sad if you ask me :p

I think Linus' tests are legit or I wouldn't have bought it. I am older than Linus, and I've been doing this a lot longer than he has, and a lot earlier than my reg date of 2005. He's a smart kid but it's nice to get results from the street.

I doubt it will be a death blow at all unless they get it going a bit better from what I understand it was 1-2 degree worse than ic diamond but we have a wide choice of pastes that out perform even that... So it is really slightly worse than entry level. I dunno it might be good for grandmas machine but I have like 45g of as5 still I even have some arctic silver 1.

I would like to see longer term testing after the traditional paste has settling time and liquid metal and thermal grizzly pastes compared to this.

Also I would like a direct die cpu used bust out an old p3 or tbred to run temps on.

Well, I guess my 2700X is a grandma rig. And, IC Diamond is now entry-level trash. This is not only hilarious, it's why I only have 700 posts. I fiddle with a lot of gear, but don't post all the cool stuff here precisely to avoid listening to this stupid BS.

Last edited:
I doubt it will be a death blow at all unless they get it going a bit better from what I understand it was 1-2 degree worse than ic diamond but we have a wide choice of pastes that out perform even that... So it is really slightly worse than entry level. I dunno it might be good for grandmas machine but I have like 45g of as5 still I even have some arctic silver 1.

I would like to see longer term testing after the traditional paste has settling time and liquid metal and thermal grizzly pastes compared to this.

Also I would like a direct die cpu used bust out an old p3 or tbred to run temps on.
I linked direct die results, the laptop link. guess youll have to get one to do all those tests....

I think Linus' tests are legit or I wouldn't have bought it. I am older than Linus, and I've been doing this a lot longer than he has, and a lot earlier than my reg date of 2005. He's a smart kid but it's nice to get results from the street.

Oh I agree! I don't know how old he is, but I suspect I am as well (being 35). I just feel he's way too susceptible to the wishes of companies that support him. For example, how much of this did he receive because initial testing determined it was sufficient for whatever he was goign to use it for, and in exchange for getting a truckload for free, he gives a promotion of it. That's the rub, for me. But I'll admit, I haven't really watched much by him to know how often he DOES speak out about piece of hardware or solution when it isn't that great. My initial impression of him is that he's the YouTube version of a Yes Man. "Want to send me a product? Sure, I'll endorse it!" heh

Anyways, I hope this thing works out well. Though, given this is a new build for you... will you be building it with a paste-TIM first to get a baseline temp, and then replacing it with this pad for the comparison?

Oh I agree! I don't know how old he is, but I suspect I am as well (being 35). I just feel he's way too susceptible to the wishes of companies that support him. For example, how much of this did he receive because initial testing determined it was sufficient for whatever he was goign to use it for, and in exchange for getting a truckload for free, he gives a promotion of it. That's the rub, for me. But I'll admit, I haven't really watched much by him to know how often he DOES speak out about piece of hardware or solution when it isn't that great. My initial impression of him is that he's the YouTube version of a Yes Man. "Want to send me a product? Sure, I'll endorse it!" heh

Anyways, I hope this thing works out well. Though, given this is a new build for you... will you be building it with a paste-TIM first to get a baseline temp, and then replacing it with this pad for the comparison?

I can tell you any numbers I post will be pad only. The whole point of this thing is I don't even want to mess with paste anymore LOL.

I can tell you any numbers I post will be pad only. The whole point of this thing is I don't even want to mess with paste anymore LOL.
You're doing a new build? Otherwise, you wouldn't need to worry, if you're using it on the build in your sig. You'd just need to make a point of running a good heat soaking stress test to get a baseline for comparison.

You're doing a new build? Otherwise, you wouldn't need to worry, if you're using it on the build in your sig. You'd just need to make a point of running a good heat soaking stress test to get a baseline for comparison.

New 2700x build.

would you be willing to do two tests? one with the oem paste, then the pad?

Another test I would like to see paste plus the Tim like a ultra thin painting of paste on both sides

I read that has been done already. Apparently, it's actually worse because the paste can't transfer the heat to the pad fast enough, so the paste basically just traps all of the heat rather than getting it out to the cooler.

housecat did you have to trim anything off the pad for your 2700x?

I read that has been done already. Apparently, it's actually worse because the paste can't transfer the heat to the pad fast enough, so the paste basically just traps all of the heat rather than getting it out to the cooler.

housecat did you have to trim anything off the pad for your 2700x?
Nope, 100% IHS coverage, no trimming necessary. There's not enough overlap to do any harm. Some picky nerd will trim it, and that's fine, but it's good as is.

Nope, 100% IHS coverage, no trimming necessary. There's not enough overlap to do any harm. Some picky nerd will trim it, and that's fine, but it's good as is.

That's what I was hoping for. A quick Google search says there's basically 3mm extra on the pad. Glad that's not enough to hurt anything.

35W/m-k for a thermal pad is pretty awesome! The best stuff I've used before (the rubbery type you see sometimes as stock on chips which is usually around 5W/m-k) was only around 18W/m-k.

I'm thinking of applying this to my Macbook Pro. The dGPU, an old GT 650M, is a rectangular shape which makes it hard to apply thermal paste in a traditional manner. Think I should try cutting this stuff to match the die? The intel chip is easy at least.

I'm thinking of applying this to my Macbook Pro. The dGPU, an old GT 650M, is a rectangular shape which makes it hard to apply thermal paste in a traditional manner. Think I should try cutting this stuff to match the die? The intel chip is easy at least.

There are some in depth user tests on the IC product page. In one of them (I think it's linked earlier in this thread), a guy cuts one to size for his laptop and notices some decent gains.

Just looked at Amazon, they seem to have them in stock as of this post. "Sold by Innovation Cooling and Fulfilled by Amazon. " 30x30mm is $14.99 and 40x40mm is $19.99.
I received the 40mmx40mm version from Amazon, not sure when I will actually use it. May get a 2700x to replace the 1700x. Would like to see tests using this with TR. Not having to have to clean, spread, apply, check, clean reapply, no degradation over time are some rather good reasons to go this route. I also wonder how this will work with GPU's especially the HBM ones where you can have different heights from the GPU and HBM.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Still haven't finished putting my new pc together, so I don't have anything to post atm. I thought I had some fans lying around that I apparently lost, so I'm waiting on some new ones to get here Friday. I should be done on Friday, though, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get a few numbers on the pad.

It looks the same to me. I might just get one also. There are various thicknesses not sure which one to get though. Let us know how it works out for you.

I tried to use the thickness of the IC graphite but couldn't find the specifications disclosed. I plan to put together a 1700 build tonight and will take some temp readings.

This is probably going to be an epic wil or epic fail with no in between.

Finally got my build together, but I've been busy and haven't had the chance to run stress tests with the pad. I also had a poor initial mount with my cooler, so I had to go back and make sure it was properly mounted. Anyway, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this thing. I could probably shave off a couple of degrees with some Kryonaut, but the pad makes things so easy that I don't think I care enough.

For some basic numbers, I can tell you that my 2700X idles around 35C and gaming sits 55-60C depending on the game. Ambient in room is generally 23-24C.

Looks more useful for laptops I'd say. I don't find cleaning and applying thermal paste too much of a pain, but the convenience factor is nice.

Looks more useful for laptops I'd say. I don't find cleaning and applying thermal paste too much of a pain, but the convenience factor is nice.
What? How? You don't replace the cooler on a laptop possibly ever. So why would this be useful for a laptop?

Finally got my build together, but I've been busy and haven't had the chance to run stress tests with the pad. I also had a poor initial mount with my cooler, so I had to go back and make sure it was properly mounted. Anyway, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this thing. I could probably shave off a couple of degrees with some Kryonaut, but the pad makes things so easy that I don't think I care enough.

For some basic numbers, I can tell you that my 2700X idles around 35C and gaming sits 55-60C depending on the game. Ambient in room is generally 23-24C.

hmm, i might have to try it because i really hate trying to mount my AC liquid freezer 240 block/pump.. it's only thing that's kept me from bothering to buy the 2700x since it was a royal pain in the ass putting it on my r5 1600.

What? How? You don't replace the cooler on a laptop possibly ever. So why would this be useful for a laptop?

Because then you'll never have to take the laptop apart to clean the thermal paste, not that most users would on a laptop CPU anyways :p

hmm, i might have to try it because i really hate trying to mount my AC liquid freezer 240 block/pump.. it's only thing that's kept me from bothering to buy the 2700x since it was a royal pain in the ass putting it on my r5 1600.

I have the same cooler, and I hated installing it the first time as well. This time I only put one set of fans on it, and it wasn't nearly as terrible to install on my case. The actual pump part was way easier for me to mount than the standard AM4 tabs.

I do and try to on every laptop I service. oem tim is shit.

Yup for sure, it's one of the main reasons laptops (especially old ones) have overheating issues. I'm thinking that OEMs use this instead of thermal paste, the long term benefits will be more impactful to consumers.

That said, OEMs probably don't care about that, they would rather prefer we have issues and buy a new product :LOL:

OK so I bought the following : https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=p13691-nd for my threadripper 1950x and it works great. I cut a piece out just a bit smaller than the threadripper. It's so much better than the 20g Arctic MX-4 I bought I am finally sub 40c again at idle (36c - 37c) @ ambient of 23c - 24c and 40c-44c for light loads (like browsing web). To compare the MX-4 that I was using was giving me 43c - 45c for most of the day for idle, but browsing depending on the site I would hit the 50c-52c range at times. At full load (a render) I was hitting 86c-87c @ 3.8ghz 1.275v with the graphite sheet. A bit high IMHO while the MX-4 last I tried it maxed out at 85-86c. So they are within 1c of each other at full load but at least in my case it seems that the graphite pad is much better for low to medium loads. This graphite pad is 2x thicker than the IC pad if the thickness mentioned in the reddit thread is right ( 0.025mm vs 0.0125mm)

Just as a note, I have been having issues with heat with the 20g syringe of MX-4 that I bought. Every about 2-3 weeks the temps would spike and I would have to remove and reapply the TIM or temps would skyrocket to 47c-49c at idle and 60+c when basically doing any low to medium load. I am thinking the product I bought might be faulty because when I initially set up this system the temps were much better but that was when the ambient temps were much lower due to the season (fall to winter). I used a small syringe of MX-4 that I bought at the time till I hit a temp issue and bought a new 20g tube which has only worked well for short periods of time before basically failing and spiking my temps.

So I took the time to flip the fans on my AIO and use them as an intake. To my surprise, my 2700x now idles at ~27C using this pad. I knew I'd get better temps, but I wasn't expecting an 8 degree difference. That said, this is further proof to me that these pads are legit. I'm probably going to start recommending them to friends and family for their pc builds.

So I took the time to flip the fans on my AIO and use them as an intake. To my surprise, my 2700x now idles at ~27C using this pad. I knew I'd get better temps, but I wasn't expecting an 8 degree difference. That said, this is further proof to me that these pads are legit. I'm probably going to start recommending them to friends and family for their pc builds.
that's the cool fresh air not he pad. you'd need to retest with paste to see the real difference.

Back