Returning monitors to eTailers

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm tempted to go for the NEC IPS monitor, but the dead pixel thing really scares me. If I even have 1 dead pixel I'll probably freak and you can't send it back to NE unless it has 8!! Is ZZF any better if you need to exchange for a dead pixel issue? I got my last monitor an LG from BB and had no problem taking back when I had 2 dead pixels, but BB only carries TN panels.:rolleyes: Also any reason to change monitors I have the LG L246W and it's still working fine. I'm intrigued by the LED monitors though.

Last edited:
There are worst problems then a dead pixel - trust me, as in way worst then that, like for example:

-
-mura effect/clouding Effect
-intense back-light bleeding
-panel uniformity

1 Dead pixel is barely noticeable, you'll even forget that you have it in daily use... unless it's ironically positioned in the address bar of you're browser, then you might see a very small point when tipping the address...

On the other hand Mura Effect is clearly visible, since it can have the size of 20 pixels if it's formed as a point, or display washed portions of the similar to a cloud. Then there's Back-light Bleeding which is present in 95% of all monitors on market, so this you'll have it for sure... it's just a mater of how intensive it will be...

...a dead pixel is nothing compared to those problems, of course wouldn't hurt to be perfect. To bad we don't live in a perfect world, one that's made of crystals and us made of pure light instead of what we are now, as in organic creatures full of shit in a world that reflects are nature. :eek:

...just saying.

Ok, now I'm depressed.:(

What you said is true and I'd therefore rather buy from a local brick and mortar such as BB since it's a heck of a lot easier to return. Also being a Premium Rewards Zone member helps. No restocking fee and 45 days to return.

The problem with that is you are limiting yourself to monitors that are available at BB - which can be slim pickings beyond popular budget TN monitors, especially if you are looking for an IPS display.

If you are lucky enough to have a retailer nearby that sells a wide variety of displays, you should definitely consider retail purchase, but check return policies - some etailers like Amazon have pretty decent no questions asked return policies on TVs, etc. Dell also has a pretty good return policy.

Yea, unfortunately here in good ole Charlotte we have no large PC store anymore. Compusa closed it's doors and we have no Fry's, Microcenter or Tiger Direct/Compusa here. Now Raleigh has a TD/Compusa, but it's 3 hours from here. :(There should be at least one of these in this size metro area, but that's for another tread I guess. Yes also to BB and it's limit of monitors. When I purchased my LG quite a while back it seems they use to have more options back then in the store. Right now LED selection is limited too. I've only seen TN monitor so far, but I haven't looked to hard for MVA or IPS with LED.

Back