Returning Dell Outlet Monitors - Buyer beware - my first hand account

rei1574

Gawd
I ordered a Dell monitor (24" 2408WFP) from the Dell outlet site on December 15th. I spent about $450 on the monitor, and I figured I would order from Dell since I have always had decent experiences in the past. So I got the monitor, and it turns out that the screen was a bit defective. I wasn't happy with it, so I requested a replacement monitor. The replacement monitor they sent me was even worse than the original one they sent me. The backlight was flickering constantly and it made me noxious just looking at it. So I figured, you know what.. I'll just return both monitors since I wasn't happy. I returned the monitor and Dell received them on January 6th... So you're thinking everything should all be fine right? WRONG. I still have yet to receive the refund some 45 days after Dell received the monitors. I've called several times in January and both times they say I will receive the refund in 7-10 days, which is an utter blatant lie. Today I called back and was told the same thing. They said that my return "takes longer because I payed with 2 different credit cards in the same transaction". Personally I think that's total BS. Overall it's pretty ridiculous not to refund your customers money after 45 days - thats 1/8th of a year. I will never place another order with Dell again. Their product quality has suffered considerably, but their customer service has fallen off even worse.

I'm putting this out there for other forumers. If you think you can buy a Dell monitor from the outlet and return it fairly easy, please think twice. I thought it would be a fairly streamlined process and so far it's been a nightmare. I'm not pressed for cash or anything, but being in college and not having $450 thats rightfully yours for well over a month is borderline insane.

Maybe what they said is true? All my transactions with dell had been wonderful and I found their customer service to be superior if you know how to take advantage of it. It's life so you just gotta learn how to deal with it. Your complaint is not going to get your anywhere :)

I've bought and returned several items from the outlet. No problem at all. Quick refunds each time. I've paid with 2 cards for 1 order though.

Maybe what they said is true? All my transactions with dell had been wonderful and I found their customer service to be superior if you know how to take advantage of it. It's life so you just gotta learn how to deal with it. Your complaint is not going to get your anywhere :)
How can what they are saying be true?

According to Dell's return policy, I should've received my money within 10 business days of the return. I returned the item on January 6th.. right now it's Feburary 23rd. Last time I checked, that's over a month.

The lady I spoke with today said it would take another 7-10 days FROM TODAY. So you think it's completely reasonable to get a refund 60 days after you returned the product to Dell?

I'm really surprised to see some of these responses..... a 45+ day turnaround for a routine return is utterly ridiculous

Your comment really adds nothing to the discussion. Saying that "your complaint will get you nowhere" is a terrible outlook to have in life. Have fun being a sheep.

Another thing too is THE PRODUCT WAS DEFECTIVE.

yuo need to talk to someone else, clearly that department is not capable, try to get contact info for someone higher up or even another department.

inform them you will be contacting the BBB about this as their policy states 7-10 days, and says nothing about using multiple cards, tell them you have copies of the policy and such, you want to talk to someone higher up and you will not hang up until you can get someone who can get this refund processed immediatly and you already have waited 45 days which is no excuse... what has been done inthe last 45 days? clearly nothing... and ask firmly what has been taing 45 days beside the fact Dell has completly ignored your request.

Also, while you do this, do it in a clam cool manner, people who get rude and loud to suport people are more likely to be blown off as you are then people who can remain calm.

wasn't dell caught doing something like this some 1-2 years agoi? they were holding refunds and such for as long as possible to basically earn them intertest and crap...

yuo need to talk to someone else, clearly that department is not capable, try to get contact info for someone higher up or even another department.

inform them you will be contacting the BBB about this as their policy states 7-10 days, and says nothing about using multiple cards, tell them you have copies of the policy and such, you want to talk to someone higher up and you will not hang up until you can get someone who can get this refund processed immediatly and you already have waited 45 days which is no excuse... what has been done inthe last 45 days? clearly nothing... and ask firmly what has been taing 45 days beside the fact Dell has completly ignored your request.

Also, while you do this, do it in a clam cool manner, people who get rude and loud to suport people are more likely to be blown off as you are then people who can remain calm.

wasn't dell caught doing something like this some 1-2 years agoi? they were holding refunds and such for as long as possible to basically earn them intertest and crap...
Good advice - I just finished submitting a formal complaint on the BBB website. I think you're right - it's probably the best way to go since I am getting absolutely NOWHERE talking to Dell. I did the whole shtick earlier about talking to the managers and unfortunately that got me nowhere.

My patience is spent.. im tired of calling in and getting transferred to different people non-stop. Not to mention, every time they transfer me, they seem to just hang up.. as in the call ends completely. I don't have the time or energy to put up with that crap anymore.

Dell just contacted me again, saying I would get my money sometime within 16 calendar days.. unbelievable. They said the whole thing was caused by "logistics issues".. talk about a boat load of crap. First they tell me logistics issues, then they tell me its because I paid with 2 separate cards. It's not too hard to call their bluff. Any predictions on what they will tell me next?

BS. Dell is clearly in the wrong here. Honestly it sounds like you are blaming the OP and he has done nothing wrong. He's taken the necessary steps to return the monitors, it is now up to Dell to refund the money they said they would refund in "7-10 days." They need to stick to their word if that state it.

So what is your secret to taking advantage of Dells superior customer service? The only thing required to do is call the 1-800 number, state the issue, and Dell should bend over backwards for the customer. And I think 45 days is beyond the being nice stage. And damn "It's life so you just gotta learn how to deal with it?" Unbelievable.

You may have had great experiences with Dell but don't be foolish enough to stick up for them when they are clearly wrong here. Just imagine how you would feel if this happened to you. Would you want to hear the same advice you're giving?

You've gotta ask for a supervisor or manager. They're the ones who can make things happen. I wanted to exchange my 3008WFP refurb due to bad pixels. After about 2 weeks of "Yes sir, we'll ship the exchange next day air" and nothing being delivered, I called and said I needed to speak to a manager. I explained the problem, she apologized profusely, ordered a brand new 3008WFP, renewed the warranty to start the day I received it, and then called me the next day to make sure it was delivered. She arranged to have the defective 3008 picked up the and gave me her direct number to use if I ever have any troubles with the monitor. Hope this helps!

You may have had great experiences with Dell but don't be foolish enough to stick up for them when they are clearly wrong here. Just imagine how you would feel if this happened to you. Would you want to hear the same advice you're giving?

If I encountered this kind of situation, I wouldn't go on a forum and rant this and that. I don't think the OP ask for help or advice in the first place. Though I think it was my fault that he's upset.

You've gotta ask for a supervisor or manager. They're the ones who can make things happen. I wanted to exchange my 3008WFP refurb due to bad pixels. After about 2 weeks of "Yes sir, we'll ship the exchange next day air" and nothing being delivered, I called and said I needed to speak to a manager. I explained the problem, she apologized profusely, ordered a brand new 3008WFP, renewed the warranty to start the day I received it, and then called me the next day to make sure it was delivered. She arranged to have the defective 3008 picked up the and gave me her direct number to use if I ever have any troubles with the monitor. Hope this helps!
I wish it was that easy :(

I spoke with 2 managers today (1 on the phone and 1 through email) and they both gave those BS excuses (logistics issues and because I used 2 separate debit cards to buy the item)

I think I just got screwed and had a bad experience, but the way Dell has handled it has been horrible. They should be bending over backwards to help me, instead I have to waste all my time calling/emailing them, just to get back my money 45+ days later that I spent on a defective monitor.

If I encountered this kind of situation, I wouldn't go on a forum and rant this and that. I don't think the OP ask for help or advice in the first place. Though I think it was my fault that he's upset.
This is not a rant.

I've been coming to these boards since 2000 to get the best tech advice, and also to share my knowledge. I trust a ton of people on these boards - its a way to share collective knowledge. It's been a hell of a ride and I've learned so much about technology/building systems along the way. Hell, hardforum peaked my interest in technology so much that it basically made me realize that I want to work for a technology company someday.

I did not create this thread to vent anger, but to inform other [H] members of the issues I encountered with Dell. I was just sharing my personal experience with Dell, in hopes to spread more awareness about how their return policy operates.

You can say I am slandering Dell, but the facts are the facts. I wouldnt be making this thread if I received a timely refund for a product I shipped back to Dell in early January.

Damn, if you're getting ass-raped by Dell's managers, then you're right to be on the warpath. Sorry man!

the OP made this post as a warning, hence the title. "buyer beware" it is nice that people post their experiences like this on forums for others to see and learn from, it is also a chance for said companies to redeem them selves, if they post them selves on here.

Sure you may not post something like this on a forum, but that is your choice, and really your not helping others by NOT posting on the forums, by posting bad experience you do the readers a lagre favor by warning them, it also allows people who have had good experiences to also post.

I will say on Dell's behalf, for the amount of customers they likely have, the amount of times problems like this occur are likely a very small %, it seems you have just continually gotten shafted by useless people, this could perhaps be a "refurb" department issue(i always buy new mainly for reasons i dont trust refurb crap..) I have never had a bad purchase, but i also go throuhg a small buisness account.

Any idea how I could obtain his/her email address?

That is a little difficult, You will have to go through a few different people, but they oversee the managers, and ultimately want to make things run as smooth as possible.

Usually You will have 6-9 directors, a senior director, and then you get into the VP of sales ect. You will most likely never get to the VP, but the director is indeed accessible if you put in some time

Sent an email to Michael Dell yesterday.

Someone from Dell called me today - apparently it got around through to their Corporate Office.

I didn't get a chance to speak with the guy, but I am going to talk with him at 2PM. I'll keep you posted on this.. I hope Dell rights their wrong.

yup, most often dell higher ups, or most companies, rarely every hear about this things that happen much further down the line, but once they do, they tend to light fires under people asses to get moving on it.

Yep - I got in touch with a couple really nice Dell "community" managers. They were much easier to deal with than the CSR's in India, and they actually sought to fix the problem instead of making up excuses or fictitious timetables.

I have done tis several times with companies that use outsourced support employees. Just call the corporate offices and start raising hell at the first person that answers (usually a poor unfortunate receptionist), and the wheels start turning real fast.

You are not alone with your frustrations with Dell Outlet. If anyone remembers my experience that I posted here I was in the same situation. I ordered the Dell 3007WFP-HC from Dell Outlet on November 20th, 2008. The monitor arrived in around 5 days and I was so excited to get it going. So, I opened the box and found no cables. Ok, no biggie, but nothing around me sold dual link cables so I had to go online. Ok, no biggie. Finally got the cable and fired up the monitor. Voila! Blue, green, and yellow lines and flickers all over the screen. Tried it on 3 other pc's. No go. Ordered a new dual link online overnight in case that was it. No go. So I called Dell outlet and after over 3 days of being transferred back and forth, and back again, finally spoke to the 3rd "manager" who arranged for a new monitor to be sent from the outlet. That took about 9 days and I got the replacement finally. OK, good to go, all excited again......until I plugged it in. The screen was yellow. Whites were yellow, oranges were yellow, everything was yellowish. I took pictures and sent it to the dell support website to show what was going on. OK, repeat the above steps and about 3 days of talking to dell people, was told that a new one was on its way. Ok, so i got the email that said one was on the way but no tracking number was available yet. So i waited almost a week and still no monitor or tracking number. I called them back and they said that there was a problem at the shipping facility and that they would look into it. It was now approaching the middle of January and STILL no working monitor yet. 2 weeks of emails, calls, etc and they overnighted another replacement monitor. Ok, excited again...that is until I plugged it in. As mentioned in yet another post here, I have this AWFUL screen door effect ONLY on moving images. When watching movies, gaming, etc (why i got this monitor) the image becomes almost dithered when a moving object comes onto the screen. I wasn't sure if this was a problem native to this monitor and still don't know if it is normal. I called dell tech support and they said this shouldn't be happening but really didn't know what I was talking about. I asked for ANOTHER monitor to be sent out and the manager said that one would be. It is March 1st 2009 today and I STILL don't have a working monitor yet from the date of my order on November 20th. That is my experience.

Back