Returning 4k Screen, would like some advice.

Sketchus

n00b
Hi all,

Bit of background - impulse bought a 4K screen and didn't cancel it in time. Filed to return to, so I can do that if I want. The input lag was too high for me with VSync on and additionally, being realistic I'm not going to be able to max out The Witcher 3 @4K ( I would rather do that than turn down settings)

(I have a R9 295x2 and a 290X)

That said, it has definitely made playing at 1080p a lot more noticeable and am considering getting a 1440p monitor. Question is how does 1440p at 27inches stack up against 4k @ 28 inches? I've seen suggestions that actually image quality will not be hugely affect simply because 28 inches is too low for 4k to truly shine.

Also love the look of the 21:9 monitors, but I still game a lot of PS4/Xbone and am worried it wouldn't work well on there.

Would love some input.

Overclock-able, glossy Overlord Tempest X270C/Yamakasi Catleaps and matte Qnix QX2710/X-Star DP2710's are available for under 500$ (Review links+Information), are delay free and use 1440p IPS/PLS panels. These monitors have much better colors, viewing angles and less input lag than all but the Asus 4K TN panel, but they do not work with consoles. The glossy monitors are clearer than the 4K TN's as well. Unfortunately the multi-input 1440p monitors all have at least a frame of input lag, however there are no glossy 27" 1080 IPS/PLS panels or PWM/Flicker Free (Side Effects), 32" 1080p TV's which can substitute for the glossy Crossover 2720MDP/2730MD.

The 4K TN's higher resolution is partially negated by the grainy matte coating and scaling issues, which leaves one with a 200$ TN panel they paid 600$ for which has worse viewing angles and colors thanks to the gamma shift vs. a 24" TN.

Last edited:
Back